Newbie with a new bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Newbie with a new bike.

Hey guys I'm new around here, been looking around for a week or so and figured I'd post up.

I used to ride bmx but anymore it was hurting my knee's too bad to ride the small bikes so I figured I'd step up to a mtb.

I watched c-list for a few weeks and found a decent deal, it's an 05 specialized hardrock SS that hadnt been rode in a few years but was in pretty good shape.

Needed q good cleaning and a few parts, the rear cog was starting to round off so I went ahead and got a new rear 16t and a front 32 on the way. Also needs a new rear spoke that broke on my first ride but all in all for $140 I think it was a decent deal.

It will be used for a mix of commuting and trail riding about once a month when I take the rig out.

Anybody have a recommendation on a set of decent pedals under $50?

Sent from your moms house using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie with a new bike.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315412165.925111.jpg  

05 specialized hardrock SS.

mtbr member
    You looking for flats or clipless?

Tell my Mom I said "Hi".

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Flats, I don't quite think I could get used to the clipless and since I haven't ridden much in a few years I'm sure I'll be going down a few times so I think flats will suit me fine for a while

The mom line kind of carried over from another board since I aired several using tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did a good clean up on it tonight and found a few problems. Looks like it's also due for a set of rotors, I think they have been hit a time or two as both have a small wave in them.

Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a decent set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's been a little and I've done a few mods.

Threw on some avid elixir 1's that I scored on the cheap and last night I threw on some new bars and a stem.

Stem is an Azonic and the bars are sunline v3's.

I hit about 5 miles of some nice single track Saturday riding with a few geared guys. I stayed with them and at times ahead of them but I was shot by the end. My legs just didn't have the oomph I needed.

I'm almost tempted to go 1x9 for a while until I get stronger. What's the SSers say? Wait it out and work on it?

banned
    Work on it says I. Maybe 32x16 is too steep of a setup for your local terrain. I'd experiment with something like an 18t or 20t in the back before I went to the trouble of going 1x9. Just my $0.02...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well where my problem lies is that I also do alot of street riding to kill some time, say 5-10 mile rides and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere and just spinning constantly.

It's looking like I just need to pick up a second bike for the street.

I like the single speed setup as it's so simple but it just doesn't work in both area's.

renaissance cyclist
    Maybe you need a bigger chain ring. I use a single speed cross bike for both commuting and trail riding. Personally I like 38/16 but it will depend on your location and whether you are better at spinning or mashing. It takes a little experimentation to find the right ratio that allows you to ride on road without feeling like you are crawling, but to still be able to get up hills and ride the trails you like. I think part of what makes it work on a cross bike is that the rolling resistance is so much lower on cross tires. You may want to consider trading a little off-road traction for lower rolling resistance by using a tire with less tread depth like a SB8 or something similar that would allow you to keep more momentum on trails and make it possible to use a bigger chain ring. Clipless pedals would help a lot in the oomph department as well.