Newbie going SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Newbie going SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Newbie going SS

Yep thats me. Im going too put SS on my STP and before i do anything i need too ask a few questions.

If i install i spacer kit the tools i need too have are a chain whip and a shimano lockring tool too remove the sprocket right?

Do you get different size half link chains if so what size do i get?

Do the cogs that come in the spacer kit just fit onto the hub?

If i have more questions i will just ask them
    Thanyou

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ok. you'll need a chain whip and a locking tool, but, you're probably better of getting a shop to do this for you, they will (should) probably do it for free, and the tools will run you at least 25$. you should be able to run your stock chain, you don't need half links. you'll need a tensioner. I've done ss conversions on many stp's, and there is no "good" magic gear. and yes the cogs just slide on. with a dmr ss kit, you can get a near perfect chain line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ok ill ring up my LBS today, thankyou

Old, stale, negative
    I"ll bite because I've been there. You are not only a noob to the board, but also one to the bike fixin' as well. Not flaming, just an observation. My advice would be to pull everything apart and get to know it. The questions you are asking are the right ones. A respectable LBS will surely help you answer questions and maybe even fix your problems. That's great and all but if you've come this far you are going to want to know how everything works. So make sure you get an idea how you will tension the chain (I say soulcraft tensioner), find a wide based cog as to not ruin your hub body, and avoid half links at all costs (seen to many unfixable trail problems). This stuff is fun to learn so take it all in and enjoy as you go. Good luck with it and remember this the SS life is long and I'm going to go ahead and predict you're not going back to gears after time spent with you're new ride.

Have fun..
    B

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dang i rang up my lbs today and there spacer kit is $40 AUS withoiut a tensioner and the tensioner seperate is $70 AUS, is that deer? PLus i wanted too buy a new chain. Hmmmm

NormalNorm
    yeah, wayyy too much money. you can buy the parts alot cheaper online....like half that price.

Members who have read this thread: 0