newbie-chain ?s- Mtbr.com

Thread: newbie-chain ?s

mtbr member

newbie-chain ?s

So I'm going full blast building a new SS (I should do more research but i'm so excited). I have a used XT hollowtech crank (w/ a raceface bash guard) 32t up front. Then I have one of those Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion kits on the rear hub with a 18t back there (figure start a bit easier on the gear ratio).

First question-I have a brand new XTR 9 speed chain that i keep as a spare (got it for a good price) in my toolbox so I got the cranks on, the conversion kit on and started to wrap the chain around it and slowly rotated the cranks and noticed that the chain doesn't wrap around the 18t cog right. It starts to ride up. So, are there single speed specific chains that I need? I didn't break the chain or try to put it on as I didn't want to ruin a nice chain if I was doing something stupid.

Second question-what steps do you take to line up the rear wheel and put the chain on? I have a surly with two different holes for the axel on their tensioner...should I start on the front or rear? And why are there two different positions for the axel to go through?

Third question-do you get the rear wheel set up correctly with the chain, then adjust the rear wheel disc brake?? seems to probably be best to wait.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    So I'm going full blast building a new SS (I should do more research but i'm so excited). I have a used XT hollowtech crank (w/ a raceface bash guard) 32t up front. Then I have one of those Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion kits on the rear hub with a 18t back there (figure start a bit easier on the gear ratio).

First question-I have a brand new XTR 9 speed chain that i keep as a spare (got it for a good price) in my toolbox so I got the cranks on, the conversion kit on and started to wrap the chain around it and slowly rotated the cranks and noticed that the chain doesn't wrap around the 18t cog right. It starts to ride up. So, are there single speed specific chains that I need? I didn't break the chain or try to put it on as I didn't want to ruin a nice chain if I was doing something stupid.

Second question-what steps do you take to line up the rear wheel and put the chain on? I have a surly with two different holes for the axel on their tensioner...should I start on the front or rear? And why are there two different positions for the axel to go through?

Third question-do you get the rear wheel set up correctly with the chain, then adjust the rear wheel disc brake?? seems to probably be best to wait.

thanks!
    As far as I know all 8 or 9 speed chains are spec's as 3/32" for tooth width. Try a BMX chain (1/8" width). Nashbar sells the KMC Z510HX for $6.95.

Two positions? Probably so the tensioner works for a wide range of chainstay lengths. Find the axle position that works for the chain then install the tensioner using the best hole. Yes, disc brake last.

Let's ride
    there's also the SRAM PC-1 chain. It's $9-12 and will for sure fit around all cogs.

I had issues with my SRAM 8sp chain fitting around several brands of cogs. On some, it was close enough that when actually riding it, the teeth on the cog pushed the inner plates of the chain apart enough that the chain stopped sticking and everything was fine.

mtbr member
    The cogs that come with the Gusset kit are 3/32", so they should work with a 9 speed chain. It could be that your chainline is off (chainring and cog not lined up).

Misfit Psycles
    9 speed chains are 1/2 x 11/128". 8 speed (and below) are 1/2 x 3/32" and BMX are 1/2 x 1/8".

i have been able to run a 1/8 with a 3/32 (drive or chain) but never had any luck with 1/8 to 11/128 always skipping under load...i suggest a 3/32 chain. KMC Z610HX (yes as always).

Unless you are running a dedicated (non-ramped) ring up front i expect you will have problems running a 1/8 chain on that ring (it will be set for a 9 spd 11/128" chain). you may just move the slippage from the rear cog to the front ring.

not gospel, just my experience.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Members who have read this thread: 0