newbee ss question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

newbee ss question

Hello
    I hope not to offend or anger by asking a probably much talked abot topic.
    please dont be angry
    I have recieved alot of help here on deciding what bike to buy and it is a surly 1x1
    I will be putting on a ss conversion kit onto an old rim for now, but in the end I do not know anything about grearing ratios, althougt I am trying. I dont know what options of gears I can have on the conversion kit.
    OK here is the gearing quesion, I am willing to lose some topend, to get a good gearing for rocky hilly, but also some fast or course. I live in ontario I will get a good mix of trails. I dont know where to start, so please any help, and the posible limitations of the conversion kit.

OK thanks in advance

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyokane
    OK here is the gearing quesion, I am willing to lose some topend, to get a good gearing for rocky hilly, but also some fast or course. I live in ontario I will get a good mix of trails. I dont know where to start, so please any help, and the posible limitations of the conversion kit.
    "Typical" starting place for gearing is 2:1 (in other words 34x17 or 32x16 to use the two predominate middle ring sizes). I haven't ridden in Ontario but from your description it sounds like you might have some sections of climbing and also some rock crawling to do. My suggestion as a starting point would be to go w/ a 32x18 or something similar to start off with. See how that suits you and if you want to change it up or down after getting some riding time in.

The conversion kit is (I'm assuming) just used to space a single cog into a straight chainline on a regular rear hub cassette. There's not limitation to the actual teeth count of the cog you choose to use. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

you can always change later

I just got my first SS and of course had read all these forums. I was figuring a 32-16 or 32-18. The guy building my bike talked me into a 32-20. I rode it last weekend first time and on teh very steepest hills the 20 was a bit tough. However I believe I will grow into the gearing and soon end up with an 18, and then maybe a 16. I'm not too worried abotu trying to get it exactly right first time as swapping the gears is cheap and easy

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks guys this dose not seem to hard, 32x18 from 2 people sounds cool, like you say cheep and ez to change out, cool. ya it is hilly and rocky for the most.
    thanks for the friendly replys

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Greetings from a fellow SURLY 1x1 rider

Call me a wimp (I dare ya), but I'm currently turning a 32x19 gear ratio. I consider myself a fairly experienced rider, so the "easier gear" choice is not due to poor fitness or anything like that. I just find that a slightly easier gear choice allows for ease through quick single track with quick steep drops/climbs. Never ridden in Ontario, so your terrain will teach you (quickly) what a good gear choice is for you. Remember, you only get one set of knees in this life time, and turning too hard a gear combo can/will take it's toll on your knees.

Keep spinning

Mtbker

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    32x19 gear ratio eh? im very new to learning this but how much of a difference is there between 32x18 32x19, like i started with im willing to have more of a "easier" gear because I have 2trails I ride alot one is alot of long ups and short downs. I usually run into lots of rock gardens and well mud, so I wanted more of a trucking ratio to keep pedaling and stay on the bike, over walking. I am in ok shape and can hold myown, but by no means in pro athletic shape, heck like all of is work gets in the way of that.
    thanks for the replys
    I am new am excited to try single and thanks for the help everyone

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Without getting all technical on you and quoting gear-inch techno babble, there is a noticeable difference between a 32x18 and 32x19 ratio. Don't get me wrong, if you're comfortable with a quick cadence, the 32x19 will seem a bit light on the flats, but it a great gear choice for changes in terrain. Whatever you decide, remember that riding a single speed won't make you stronger; it will, however, teach you to choose MUCH better lines when climbing/descending.

Space for rent...
    Give the guys at Misfit (just north of Toronton) a call, I am sure Peter can help you out. He currently has gears on sale.....

http://psyclestore.com/product_info....products_id=68
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    I like 32-18

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    i'm runnin 32x18 on my monocog,but if yer trails are rocky/hilly like you said,that may be a lil high.my main trail starts off w/ a 2 mile 6-9%grade of twisty singletrack,and tho i can pedal (most of it)on my geared ht,i end up hiking most of it on my monocog.most of the rest of the trail is fairly tight/technical as well,so i been contimplatin swappin on a 21t rear.one way you can get a better edumicated guesstimate if you have a geared bike of similar weight is to try ridin the same trails without shifting in the ratios you're considering...keeping in mind it'll be a lil easier on yer dedicated ss due to a loss in efficiency and gain in weight w/ the geared bike.worked for me a few years ago b4 i got the hang of gear pickin

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I run several ratios...
    36:16
    38:16
    42:16
    44:17
    42:20

They all have specific purposes....
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

mtbr member