New XT cranks vs. Eno Cranks?- Mtbr.com
    Slow riding mama's boy

New XT cranks vs. Eno Cranks?

I'm going to get rid of my Truvativ cranks and go with something different on my Ruffian. My LBS recommended the new XTs, as someone there I trust is running them on his singlespeed. They don't deal a lot with ENO, though, as they're not really a SS shop.

I'm trying to decide between the two. THey'll cost about the same, and I'm going with 180s. I like having the option of running whatever BB I choose with the ENO, which makes me lean in that direction a bit.

I only weigh 160, but I get a lot of leverage and want cranks that are stiff. Stiff and light are almost neck and neck, but I'd choose stiffness first if there's a noticeable difference.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Joel

Lube the Duckie
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom
    I'm going to get rid of my Truvativ cranks and go with something different on my Ruffian. My LBS recommended the new XTs, as someone there I trust is running them on his singlespeed. They don't deal a lot with ENO, though, as they're not really a SS shop.

I'm trying to decide between the two. THey'll cost about the same, and I'm going with 180s. I like having the option of running whatever BB I choose with the ENO, which makes me lean in that direction a bit.

I only weigh 160, but I get a lot of leverage and want cranks that are stiff. Stiff and light are almost neck and neck, but I'd choose stiffness first if there's a noticeable difference.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Joel
    I'd go for ENO...that grean chainring is simply cool, and I'm believe in square taper BB's

Although if your going for cutting-edge, techno, ultra stifffffffff....then you gotta go for XT.
    The first time I fell off my bike I had to go to the ER.

The last time I fell off my bike I had to go to the ER.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ENO - They're just damn sexy.

BTW, how do you like the Ruffian? I am thinking of buying one this winter.

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004
    I really like the XT cranks. I used to have the two-piece Bullseye cranks on my Redline BMX bike years ago. I run an EBB and don't have any issues with the outboard cups. The Hone's look perfect, but if the Saints are any indication Shimano may not come out with 180mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck_Butter
    I'd go for ENO...that grean chainring is simply cool, and I'm believe in square taper BB's

Although if your going for cutting-edge, techno, ultra stifffffffff....then you gotta go for XT.
    If you need stiff and strong, go with the new XT crankset. Tapered BB's can be flexy and break (I should take pictures of my collection of broken ones) dependent on your riding style. However, if you prefer a "spot-on" chainline, nothing beats a good Race Face or Phil Wood tapered BB with an adjustable chainline. This can be difficult to achieve with the new XT crank, but can be done with the right spacers (only have 2.5mm to work with on a 73mm BB shell).

Disclaimer IMHO.

dd..''

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Also here.

dd..''

mtbr member

ENO please

ENO cranks are unique. So is anything else you make. I have ENOs on my Gunnar, and also have another regular set of White Ind. cranks on my Surly Pacer (with ENO hub), and a very old set of standard White Ind.(thanks Scoutdog) cranks on my Schwinn Impact (thanks The Real Cyclesmith). All of course, with a single ring for awesome Dali Lama-like zen of singlespeedness. My other cranks (all with a Spot ring and bashguards), XT and LX, also rock, but they are my backups.

Slow riding mama's boy

I love the Gunnar.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    ENO - They're just damn sexy.

BTW, how do you like the Ruffian? I am thinking of buying one this winter.
    In fact, I just started to cannibalize my Titus Switchblade for the "good parts" to put on the Ruffian. Not a good sign.

I love it, but I'm thinking of getting a custom singlespeed. The only thing I don't care for about the Ruffian is that you can't run a rear disc and it doesn't have an EBB. Other than those things, which aren't critical, it's a fantastic bike.

To be honest, though, I could just ride this thing forever if I could never upgrade. It rides great, handles wonderfully, and was an amazing bargain. Maybe I'll just paint the sucker! I'd highly recommend it.

Jeol

mtbr member

tightness

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom
    I love it, but I'm thinking of getting a custom singlespeed. The only thing I don't care for about the Ruffian is that you can't run a rear disc and it doesn't have an EBB.
    If you go custom with another Ruffian, youcan order disc tabs for it. And if you want a tighter chain, Surly tugnuts will do the job. Then you can ride any wheel with a cassette/spacers/cog combo.

No Reputation!

XT 2004 here and theeyyyyrrrre great!

stiff, light, not too expensive, I like'em but have never even seen an ENO crank.