New wheelset for my ss worried about cog/freehub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New wheelset for my ss worried about cog/freehub

Putting a set of Bontrager Earl wheels on my SS with a gusset 1-er conversion kit and I am mildly worried that the cog might dig into the freehub. I'm not sure if the freehub body is Fe or Al so if anyone knows that would help.

Is this a real problem that happens often? Should I send back the gusset and pick up a cog with a wider base and just use spacers? I'm going to be running a 33/16 gear.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    I haven't buggered a freehub yet (2yrs) and besides they are replaceable if you do.
    Just make sure there is no play between the cog/spacer when mounted aand tightened down. Then ride a little and recheck/retighten and you should be good.

I do use a cog with a wider base than a cassette cog, but I used cassette cogs for a year before gettin my swanky cog.

And who makes your 33t chainring?
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    My chainwheel is made by stolen, I'm running a bmx crank. Here it is in a 36t how sexy is this thing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does a magnet stick to the freehub? If so it's steel and you will have no problems. I use the Gusset and it works well.
    I ran an old LX cassette (pinned cogs) on an aluminum freehub and it worked fine. It digs into the aluminum splines, but it doesn't slip. It was tough getting it off, but I used two chain whips to move the cog out of it's divot in the cassette body, ad it slid off fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    Does a magnet stick to the freehub? If so it's steel and you will have no problems. I use the Gusset and it works well.
    I ran an old LX cassette (pinned cogs) on an aluminum freehub and it worked fine. It digs into the aluminum splines, but it doesn't slip. It was tough getting it off, but I used two chain whips to move the cog out of it's divot in the cassette body, ad it slid off fine.
    Well, I only have magic magnets that stick to any metal so that won't work... I don't have the wheels in my possession yet (be here tomorrow) but I'll def use a magnet to check.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    how sexy is this thing?

Damn, that thing is sweeeeeeeeeet!
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    Well, I only have magic magnets that stick to any metal so that won't work... I don't have the wheels in my possession yet (be here tomorrow) but I'll def use a magnet to check.
    If you have a magnet that sticks to non-ferrous aluminum, then it's really a piece of tape, not a magnet.

Members who have read this thread: 0