New Wheelset/crank/bb Rivendell Quickbea,- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New Wheelset/crank/bb Rivendell Quickbea,

Hey Folks,

I am going to check out a Riv Quickbeam in a couple hours and am feeling pretty close to getting it. I want to convert it to a monstercross SS and came to you guys for info. It has clearance for a 700x38 tire and I'm thinking I want to run the schwalbe marathon xr's but their sizing in funky. What would you guys do? I am having a hard time working it out in my head if its easy to convert a road/tour to a more mountain friendly bike. Could I slap in some eno's and a nice ck ss hub in the back? What canti compatible rim do you run for a smaller 38x700 tire. I guess for those that know better than I what would you do. I do appreciate any info you can lay on me.

mtbr member
    I have a Quickbeam and it's a great all-around bike. It will handle the XR's fine. Mine is stock and all I do for the trails is put CX tires on it. If I were you, I'd buy it, put on the XR's, and ride it a few times before you change anything. The stock wheelset is plenty strong for trail use. Also, you might want to change the brake pads to Koolstops, if it still has the stock Shimanos.

Here's a pic of mine in monstercross mode:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Fiddler

I apprecaite your quick response. It was actually your bike in the monstercross thread that inspired my current buy. Its fitted with some fsa cranks right now that are not to conducive to climbing where I roll. Do you know where I could start to look for rims in combo with the marathons? The brakes do a decent job? What tires did you switch to.

Fahrrad fahren

QB Rules

It will fit way more than 38s.

I run 44 mutanoraptors with no sweat.

I did break the frame at the BB/seattube lug.

Riv replaced it and I'm back in business with orange.

Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    Quickbeam lovefest! Nice pics Hjalti.

Sean -- Currently I use Ritchey Speedmax, which come in a 40 width. I'm happy with the Ritcheys but I may try the XRs next. I weigh 220 and I find the stock brakes a little weak at the bottom of steep trails but otherwise they do a decent job. I will probably replace them with Paul Neo-retros at some point. Rich Lesnik, who works at Rivendell, is a great wheel builder. If you bring him hubs and rims, he can build them for you, but he can also provide you with anything you might want.

Fahrrad fahren

Brakes

Oh yeah, brakes. I was never thrilled with the stock brakes. I weigh significantly more than fiddlr40. I replaced them with Tektro 527 long pull drop levers and avid 5 linear brakes. You can sort of see in the last photo above. It'll stop a fat boy now.

I'll ride it on any trail I'd ride my MTB, but I'll go slower and will dismount for more obstacles.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Members who have read this thread: 0