New wheels- Mtbr.com

Thread: New wheels

mtbr member

New wheels

Hello all,
    I am getting back into the sport after a move away and a long hiatus. To shorten the story, I got a new to me bike from an old riding buddy for a nice bottle of scotch, and I am building up a new wheelset for it. I have some surly hubs, and I have been looking at different rim options.

I have been reading the forums for the past few weeks trying to come up with a plan, and I have settled on a wide 29er rim, but there are quite a few options.

The local shop suggested the stans flow ex which looks nice.

Can anyone else provide some opinions and other options?

- velocity blunts?
    - wtb i25
    - others?

The bike is a solo one SE steel frame with an aftermarket carbon fork. The fork will fit anything. There is a ton of room in there. The rear has less space. Right now irbid running a rhyno lite rim with an exiwolf 2.3 and it has quite a bit of breathing space.

I am half thinking of seeing if a 27 plus set up will fit.

Please enlighten me. It has been a long time since I've been thinking of bike parts and the technology has changed.

Cheers

Yeet so hard
    Something 25-35mm wide should work. You will have to provide frame information to get any more valuable help... I have velocity p35s on my SS and WTB i23s on my squishy geared bike. They both are great rims and serve their different purposes well. Also we need budget information
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a set of the i25's on my single speed. I have 2.4 tires on them, so combined with the wide rim, it gives a nice big contact patch and smooth ride through the rough stuff. I weigh 175lbs and haven't noticed any flex in them.

I did put a dent in the rear rim during a race a few weeks ago. I was running around 20psi on a course with a lot of sharp rocks and bottomed out the tire enough to dent the rim. I pulled the tire off, used an adjustable wrench to bent the sidewall back, and it's been good as new since.

mtbr member
    For a clydesdale build, the velocity blunts are supposed to be great if you want wide rims. Not the lightest though. What's your weight, and what are you planning on riding? XC, AM, or DH sort of stuff?

mtbr member

New wheels

Thanks for the feedback. Let's put the budget at $100 a rim, but I am not looking for a fancy rim just to have it. I want something that works well and builds a reliable wheelset, because I want to mount the wheels and forget it. I can measure the narrowest part of the chain stays and seat stays, but is there a place that would be more useful to measure. I can measure the gap around the 2.3 exiwolf that is on there now.

I know it is not rocket science,. It is just rims, but the tubeless technology has evolved and there are different standards that either donor don't play well together depending on who you believe.

I'm looking for a tubeless rim that is wide like the flow ex or i25 or wider, and that has some good tire options.
    I am an everyday rider. Not a racer. I weigh 190 with gear and can handle a bike. I ride rooty and rocky northeast (Maine, NH, VT) trails. It is a rigid single speed, no shuttle run downhills, just trails around the towns in southern Maine and trips to sugarloaf, kingdom trails, millstone, the upper valley of New Hampshire (stab/as chutney, the Vermont 50, boston lot, etc.).

The surly hubs make the new asymmetric rim from wtb pointless I think, or would it work well for the disk front hub?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    why not just stans in your choice of width?

i know it is a boring answer but those are some solid rims in my experience.

i have had nothing but trouble with velocities. all the sets i have had ended life pematurely due to dents and or flatspots. i don't know if they have changed recently but it seemed like they were very soft compared to other rims when i tried them.

Wanna ride bikes?
    if it were me, first choice would be Velocity Blunt 35's, second: Stans Flow EX. (no experience with i25's)

i prefer the extra width and volume of a wide rim.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just built my second set of Blunt SS wheels, 30mm wide, 400 grams, seem stiffer than my previous favorite hoops (arch).
    I was also concerned with the multiple reports of velocity hoops being soft as cheese, but I have not experienced that with these hoops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    why not just stans in your choice of width?

i know it is a boring answer but those are some solid rims in my experience.

i have had nothing but trouble with velocities. all the sets i have had ended life pematurely due to dents and or flatspots. i don't know if they have changed recently but it seemed like they were very soft compared to other rims when i tried them.
    Not a boring choice at all. I would be very happy to have a set of stans if they worked well.

I haven't put down serious off road miles since 2008. The tubeless tires were just taking off then and crime what I have been reading there are some strong opinions about the different manufacturers.

My concerns fro what in have read:
    Some tires don't work with stans. I am not sure if this is generally true or the experience of one guy in Nebraska with time and a lot of bandwidth.

Velocity rims dent easily.

I haven't read much negative about the wtb offerings.

I do appreciate everyone's experience and time typing the responses. In the end I'll make up my own mind based on what I have read and the availability at my local shop. The flow ex rims were recommended and just so happened to be sitting on one of the shops floor.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way. I like the exiwolf a on my bike now, but they are not tubeless. I am trying to pick a wide rim to work with some tires I am thinking of trying:.

Here are the tires I would like to try:

Maxxis ikon 2.35

Maxxis ardent 2.4

Wtb weirwolf 2.3 (?). I forget he max volume.

I know there are offerings from schwalbe that are worth a look too.

Now I think it is down to:

Stans flow ex with an inner width of 25.5

Wtb KOM with an inner width of 25

Or

Wtb frequency with an inner width of 25.

They are all probably equivalent, and I am definitely over thinking it. Other than stans and the wtb tire I haven't read of any difficulties with set up or interference with tires and rim with these options.

Cheers