New Trailbike SS - What Is Out There?- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

New Trailbike SS - What Is Out There?

I am thinking about selling my Turner 5-Spot and Gunnar Ruffian and getting a new SS in exchange as my one and only bike. Although I love the Turner, since getting the SS I have used it only twice in 7 months. I like the Ruffian, but in terms of geometry, it is perhaps too XC oriented for my tastes. I am looking for a more relaxed geometry, closer to the 5-Spot, but in a single speed. I can't seem to find one out there. Here is what I am looking for:

Single speed specific frame with trail bike like geometry.
    Burly frame (I am 200 lbs and ride hard over lots of rocks and such), preferably steel over Aluminum. Titanium sounds nice, but is expensive.
    Disc brake compatable.
    Built for 120 mm of travel - yes I will be adding a squishy fork.

What is out there?
    Is it a bad idea to get rid of the Turner to get a SS as my only ride? 90% of what I ride, a SS will do, but there are a few times that a FS would be nice.
    Last edited by Dirdir; 01-11-2006 at 09:56 AM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Chameleon is a good choice. Aluminum instead of steel though. You can run up to a 153mm fork and it is defintiely burly. Better yet if this is going to be your one and only bike have a custom steel frame built up from someone like Walt Works.

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004

hmmm

check out the Surly Instigator

Vertical dropouts though so you may need to run a tensioner

gentle like
    Am looking to build exactly the same thing meself.

I bought myself one of those Inbred frames Jenson was clearing out, that can take a 5" fork.

I have a couple forks I can throw on the front, but am leaning towards 5" Sherman Flick I have lying around. Hopefully it will be relaxed geometry without being too relaxed.

I like the steel frame, and I like the fact that the Inbred has been tweaked to accomodate longer travel forks.

But it'll be some months before I can ride it and give a review ...

AOK
    mtbr member
    I second the WaltWorks suggestion. Walt makes a great bike, and you can get exactly what you want. The only downside is the wait.

I have both a SS (a waltworks) and a FS. I find that I ride the SS probably 80% of the time, but it is still fun to have the FS around. It's always nice to have a change of pace. So you might want to think about it for a while before you give up a great bike like that Turner.

It continues to amaze me how many times you see threads like this. People who went SS and suddenly realize that their FS isn't getting much use anymore. It happened to you, it happened to me. It apparently happens to > 50% of SSers out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quiring cycles custom 29er SS set up for a 5" travel White Bros fork

French for "Suck"
    I just got a used Spicer that has basically what you are talking about. More gussets than a Heckler, and Steel, EBB makes it a great hardtail singlespeed. I've got a 120mm fork on it now. It just loves rocky, rough stuff, and takes rollers and drops with glee.

Selling the Turner: Only if you need the money/space. There's no such thing as too many bikes.

mtbr member

Start a revolution..

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I am thinking about selling my Turner 5-Spot and Gunnar Ruffian and getting a new SS in exchange as my one and only bike. Although I love the Turner, since getting the SS I have used it only twice in 7 months. I like the Ruffian, but in terms of geometry, it is perhaps too XC oriented for my tastes. I am looking for a more relaxed geometry, closer to the 5-Spot, but in a single speed. I can't seem to find one out there. Here is what I am looking for:

Burly frame (I am 200 lbs and ride hard over lots of rocks and such), preferably steel over Aluminum. Titanium sounds nice, but is expensive.
    Disc brake compatable.

What is out there?
    Is it a bad idea to get rid of the Turner to get a SS as my only ride? 90% of what I ride, a SS will do, but there are a few times that a FS would be nice.

Sell the bikes and use that money to get some stuff to start brazing your own frames..it can be done and if you get a couple other like minded people involved your cash output will be minimal.
    Then you can build whatever you want and it will be much less expensive than you could imagine.
    Smokebikes
    start a revolution
    "Roll your own"
    Im not kidding, my friend Gabe and i decided about a year ago to just jump into it and between the two of us we have done 13 frames for ourselves and now have 2 to build for other folks.
    So wouldnt it be cool for a group of folks to begin a "homebuilt" groundswell...
    sorry for being off topic but it is something to consider....
    id be glad to give you more info...
    www.smokebikes.com

It's an addiction.......

I have always been a bike geek..........So Thad and I were ridding one day out here in Asheville, NC when I said that I was thinking of chopping up a few frames to build something unique. Well one thing led to another and 13 frames latter we build bikes to suit our tastes. If you have the passion you can create anything you whant. I am currently building myself a long travel hardtail single speed with disk brakes, traditional 69HT, 73ST geometry and a perfectly sized ridding position built to my specs.......
    "Roll your own......." Smokebikes.com

Got A Lust for Life...
    I am sure Independent Fabrications could hook you up. What about Chromag? www.chromagbikes.com I think this is right up your alley...

hands up who wants to die
    Inbred 456, Evil Sovereign.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

I'd look at the Kona Cowan, also aluminum, but burly as hell- DJ/FR geometry, can handle a long travel fork, has horiz. dropouts for SS.
    Last edited by marsb; 01-11-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Interlectchewal

Curtis Bikes UK

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Here is what I am looking for:

Disc brake compatable.

What is out there?
    The Curtis XC is one of my dream bikes. Custom top tube length, seat tube length, and head angle. I bet they'd work with you to come up with exactly what you're looking for. At current exchange rates, you're looking at about $1,050-1,100, depending on finish.