New to SS What chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New to SS What chain?

I just bult a SS and have a regular crank and a king cog. So do I run a 8 speed chain,
    or can I run a BMX chain or what? I want strength, so what is the standard or is there one?
    Any opinion welcome

Thanks Mojo.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Dude
    I just bult a SS and have a regular crank and a king cog. So do I run a 8 speed chain,
    or can I run a BMX chain or what? I want strength, so what is the standard or is there one?
    Any opinion welcome

Thanks Mojo.
    Not so sure about standards but almost any chain will work with the exception of running a 3/32" chain on a 1/8" drivetrain. I personally think that BMX chains tend to be stronger and more "stretch" resistant. If you want something totally bombproof, get a KMC Dropbuster. I run them (3/32" for the mtb and 1/8" on my bmx) and have never felt anything but supremely confident in their strength. The tradeoff is that they ain't light. I have also used 9 speed SRAM chains (PC99 but any will work fine) and have had no real issues with them either. Once you stop twisting the chain from all the shifting, you'll find that most chains are pretty freakin strong. I haven't tried the SRAM PC1 or 7X but have heard great stuff about those as well.

Good luck and welcome to the world of .03703703..... (that's 1/27th the gears you probably had before).

Peace,
    Scott
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just run a standard HG (9-speed) chain on mine. Since I found a combo that works without a tensioner, I just run an HG chain until it stretches and becomes too loose.

SRAM supposedly makes a nice chain for SS use, however I don't remember the model. It was probably one that shifted pretty poorly, so it got rebadged as a single speed specific chain (haha).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I use....

KMC Z610HX 3/32 BMX chain on my SS. I've had them on for over a year without any problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

track chain?

i ride a fixieand have read about a 'bolted' / track chain - anybody know what that is specifically?

Retro Grouch

Good chain, but sometimes hard to find..

Quote Originally Posted by Onurleft
    KMC Z610HX 3/32 BMX chain on my SS. I've had them on for over a year without any problems.
    but is also the the one I use. As mentioned earlier, most chains will work but I'd stay away from the new 10 speed variety. While the 1/8" BMX chains look beefier, there has been more R&D with the 8/9 speed chains so the strength is similar. So go with what you want and enjoy the ride.

1G1G, Brad

get down!
    don't player hate on the PC-58!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Well I think I will run the PC-68 I have, I hope I can get a half link somewhere for it. Thanks

don't try this at home

i like the KMC chains too

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    but is also the the one I use. As mentioned earlier, most chains will work but I'd stay away from the new 10 speed variety. While the 1/8" BMX chains look beefier, there has been more R&D with the 8/9 speed chains so the strength is similar. So go with what you want and enjoy the ride.

1G1G, Brad

I think someone asked a similar question a few weeks back. do a search and you'll probably find more responses.

but i've been using KMC chains for years, either the blue or red box and should cost around $7. don't spend a lot on chains but get a good one. and carry a few extra links incase it breaks far from home.

i just replace mine after about 8 months. and i'm only replacing it because it's stretched to the point that my wheel is at the end of the rear drop, it started at the front end.

mtbr member
    Well I think I will run the PC-68 I have, I hope I can get a half link somewhere for it. Thanks
    shops should have some spares.

mtbr member

sram

right now i have a sram pc48 with a chris king cog and race face chain ring

scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I just put a Whipperman BMX chain on my ride. I had to take the bash ring off cause the chain is sooooo wide.
    i think I will have this thing fo rthe rest of my life. There is no way in hell I can damage this thing. Each link is massive.
    Not my bike, but it gives you an idea...

I will let you guys know how it goes after the 1st ride.
    this space left intentionally blank

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Very wise choice. Get your half link at spicercycles.com. About $10 shipped.