Suburban Redneck

New SS project arrived today.

I just received my new single speed project frame. It's a used Ionic E3 that I purchased off of Ebay. Not sure of the year as I'm waiting to hear back from Ionic. This one is going to get an Exotic aluninum fork and a re-finish. Like my previous builds this one will be budget-oriented while being completely serviceable. Going for general purpose xc trail use. I'll update as we go along here.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Looks like a sweet build, man. Please keep as updated.

The need for singlespeed
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    What will you do for tensioning?
    Will you run V's all around or just out back?

Suburban Redneck
    For tensioning I'll probably go with the Forte kit I used on my other conversion. Unless I get brave and just try get the chain right. But the tensioner gives me the option to switch cogs without screwing with chain length. And as far as the brakes I will be running Vs front and rear. Looking at Avids.

Suburban Redneck
    A few questions here. The info I got regarding the complete bike stated 80mm suspension so I'm assuming I'd go with the rigid fork corrected to that number (42.5). Will going 44.5 (100mm) throw things off too much? I've never swapped forks on a rigid so I've never had to take sag (or lack thereof) into account.

Also, as far as refinishing goes am I best served using aircraft stripper? I was just going to sand lightly and repaint orange, but nothing rhymes with it so I'm changing it up.

Lastly, what is the best bang for the buck crankset to convert to single? I understand there will be many differing opinions but I wanna hear them. I did an Alivio on the DB/SS but want to see what other options are out there. I'm looking at Spot, and also Sugino. Maybe FSA as well.

mtbr member
    Have you run that fork off road before? Just asking cause I don't think I would trust a rigid aluminum fork for off road duties. I have a Mosso aluminum fork on a road only Stumjumper and feel confident I won't have any issues with it. I personally would never run it in the dirt. The steerer tube on the Mosso is pretty thin walled. I hope the exotic fork is more strongly built. If it is how is the ride?
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A friend of mine runs MOSSO forks on some technical terrains without issues for a few years I think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    An Al fork will be stiff. Many 90s bikes came with Al forks though. Kenisis, IIRC.

Nice frame !!!!. My general rule of thumb is if the frame has a nice welded cantilever brake cable stop, I use it. If it need one that mounts to the seat QR, I go ahead and run V brakes.

As far as stripping, I'm hand sanding a KHS now. I should be done before the turn of the century.....

I want to ride
    what length crank arms you going with 175 or 180?

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by pd406 View Post
    what length crank arms you going with 175 or 180?

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman12 View Post
    A few questions here. The info I got regarding the complete bike stated 80mm suspension so I'm assuming I'd go with the rigid fork corrected to that number (42.5). Will going 44.5 (100mm) throw things off too much? I've never swapped forks on a rigid so I've never had to take sag (or lack thereof) into account.
    Most 80mm forks are about 450mm axle-to-crown so 445mm is just fine. I'm running a 445mm rigid fork on my frame which was designed for 80mm. I ran a 100mm suspension fork on it for a couple rides and hated it, so I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of thing.

Also, as far as refinishing goes am I best served using aircraft stripper? I was just going to sand lightly and repaint orange, but nothing rhymes with it so I'm changing it up.
    You are definitely best served using aircraft stripper. It took four applications to get everything off but I never started swearing, which certainly would have happened had I tried to sand it.

Lastly, what is the best bang for the buck crankset to convert to single? I understand there will be many differing opinions but I wanna hear them. I did an Alivio on the DB/SS but want to see what other options are out there. I'm looking at Spot, and also Sugino. Maybe FSA as well.
    In terms of value you can't beat X7 with a homebrewed chainwheel imho.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For what it's worth I converted an old biopace crankset to SS. I was very surprised with how well it turned out. It looks awesome and so far seems to be nuke proof.

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post

In terms of value you can't beat X7 with a homebrewed chainwheel imho.
    Are these what you're talking about? I'm looking for cranks for a new build too.

The need for singlespeed
    Nope, there's another version of X7 with a removable (!) spider. It goes by many names including X7, S1400, and AKA, seems they're all the same apart from the finish and slight cost variations. Might be able to sell the rings and maybe he spider for the cost of a HBC chainwheel, then for about $150 you have a very pretty >700g (including chainwheel and bb) crankset and you never have to worry about chainring bolts again.

mtbr member
    Only the 2x X7's have the removable spider.

Don't aluminum forks have that nasty habit of shearing at inopportune times? Or has that been fixed and I'm way behind the times?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Don't aluminum forks have that nasty habit of shearing at inopportune times? Or has that been fixed and I'm way behind the times?
    I can't really think of a time that would be good for fork shearing......................

I'm looking around and seeing the Surly 1x1 and Instigator forks as viable alternatives to the eXotic unit. I can't imagine them weighing TOO much more and they always seem to bring positive reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I put an instigator on my gfs bike. I also run a pugsley fork on my SS 29er. Nothing but good things to say about surly. If you go with the surly you will also have the option of running V's or disc. Its also made in the good old USA.

mtbr member
    To the OP,

I used to run the eXotic Alu fork, and never felt truly comfortable on it. The walls are super thin and it flexed during breaking and riding rough stuff. Along with the flex I also noticed that most parts on it were bonded rather than welded. I can understand the method for carbon but not Alu.

Stay away from it.

Bryan d
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

Suburban Redneck
    Thanks for the input on the fork, guys. I think I'll definitely go with the Instigator at the same price.

Suburban Redneck
    Alright. Some updates and changes to the plans (always happens that way. Right?)
    So far I have a set of Sun UFO wheels on Shimano non-disc hubs. Also a Tru vative Hussefelt crankset minus the inner ring and I just picked up an '04 Marzocchi Marathon SL in VGC for $50 bucks. I know I was planning on going rigid but the price couldn't be beat. My dilemma, however, is that I'm now thinking about the Marz for my dedicated XC rig since it's lighter (and, well, better) than the Suntour that's on it now. Before anyone chimes in, I know the somewhat justified stigma surrounding Suntour forks, but the XCR in nearly a year of use on typically tech-y northeast singletrack has function flawlessy given it's limited adjustability etc. On the other hand, the bike is fairly light as-is and I'd like to keep the SS as light as possible without going over budget.

Hoping to get the frame stripped and painted this weekend so i can start with the assembly.

Suburban Redneck
    It's been awhile, but I figured I'd update here. This build as a SS has been scratched in favor of building it geared and donating to a very good friend who wants a better bike than what he's got but can't put the funds together. It's going to run SRAM x-7 along with the aforementioned components plus Raceface seatpost and stem along with a Truvativ bar, sans Hussefelt crankset (going triple in the front). All he has to do is get the frame refinished (his dad works at the local tech school and is having the Auto Shop class do it) and I'll take care of the rest.

Will still post pics when complete.