New SS owner!- Mtbr.com

Thread: New SS owner!

mtbr member

New SS owner!

Picked up my first singlespeed last week. Rode it at the Wissahickon in Philadelphia this past Saturday and all I can say is I have a newfound respect for you guys. IIRC, it's 32/18.

I've swapped out the saddle and pedals and added shortie bar ends. I didn't receive the bar ends in time for my ride but I'm assuming it will help in the climbs. I don't get to get out to the trails as much as I like so I'm thinking of swapping some slicks I have to get some "training" rides during the week.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    congrats, nice bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    nice bike and congrats on the conversion to ss. the wiss is a fun place for singlespeed. enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, an updated crappy cell phone pic:

New saddle, pedals and bar ends.

Don't want to put too much money into this bike but it's hard not too.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Just Ride
    nice ride!

If you wanna spend money one think you could do is get a SS specific chainring. Looks like that one has ramps, maybe it's just the pic...
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Hmm,I did wonder a bit about that. I assume the prior owner just used the original chainring? Maybe I'll look into picking a SS specific one later. I'm totally new to this SS thing!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Bicycle Addict
    Beast mode, engage!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    And the addiction begins....welcome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Lookin good. My normal ride is Wissahickon too but I'm still geared. I'm planning on building a SS next winter specifically for the terrain there. I'm thinking short chain stays and fat tires so maybe something like a Surly 1x1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    Lookin good. My normal ride is Wissahickon too but I'm still geared. I'm planning on building a SS next winter specifically for the terrain there. I'm thinking short chain stays and fat tires so maybe something like a Surly 1x1.
    I saw a few people rockin' the fatbike in the Wiss this past winter. Not that we got much snow anyway but it was still cool to see.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    nice ride!

If you wanna spend money one think you could do is get a SS specific chainring. Looks like that one has ramps, maybe it's just the pic...
    So something like this:

Amazon.com: Salsa 32t 104mm 4-bolt Single Speed Chainring Blue: Sports & Outdoors
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    I prefer a stainless steel ring over alloy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Surly-Stainles...d_sim_sbs_sg_1

Much longer life. Many people on here will warn that these Surly rings will bend in the 4-bolt version, but I've had nothing but good success with them.
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    don't worry about a new ring unless that one throws your chain. waste of money if you have good chainline/tension if you ask me.

i ran a geared front ring for years with no problems. only reason i don't now is because i run a 34t not a 32.

welcome to rigid ssing in the wiss. it is my only mode of transport there and i get out there 2x3 times a week. it will make you strong like bull!

my only suggestion would be before you dump too much money into this bike is to consider if you'd not really rather save up for a 29er. especiially rigid, those big wheels just roll better over the rocks and bumps. but really i am not trying to sell you on one. ride what you like and have fun.

mtbr member
    Nah, I'm not going to put much more into it at all unless they are wear parts. I already have a FS 26 and a HT 29 so the SS is for variety. After all, variety is the spice of life!

I've only been biking regularly since spring 2011. So I'm sort of newbish. I got the hardtail first, rode most of the summer on it. Then after riding with friends at the Wiss, got jealous and got the FS. But becoming a slightly better rider and going tubeless on the 29er, I actually prefer it at the Wiss now. Lots of brutal climbs, ya know. Then I saw the SS on craigslist and always have been curious about SS, so I pulled the trigger. I guess I'm going backwards in bike technology!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    your not going backwards.. enjoy it.. I have a FS Giant 990 and Giant 890 that is SS. Love the best of both worlds. My 890 is all man, no suspension at all.

mtbr member
    I see you have already discovered the SS secret weapon......BAR ENDS!!!!!! Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    That is a mid 90's Trek 7000, bonded lug frame by the way I have one just like it......Enjoy
    MTB Rob was taken!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    That is a mid 90's Trek 7000, bonded lug frame by the way I have one just like it......Enjoy
    Great eye! I was told it was a ZX 6000 but it's definitely a lugged frame. I was curious when I didn't see any welds on the frame. I thought it was pretty cool.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Was doing some wheel maintenance and noticed this on the BB:

I'm assuming it's a 19.5" Trek 8000? Doesn't seem that big of a frame. I could probably track down the year by the serial number.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mine is a 1996 21" 7000 model...not sure of what the other numbers mean in the serial number....
    New SS owner!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340931008.186270.jpgNew SS owner!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340931024.216530.jpg[ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SS owner!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340930964.074537.jpg  

New SS owner!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340931036.733528.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0