New to SS with an Origin-8 Scout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New to SS with an Origin-8 Scout Pics added

Ive been riding my bike wihout shifting lately in preperation of trying a single speed. Been staying around 32/21 and am having a lot of fun.
    So I went on Flebay. Bid and won a 19" 2011 Origin -8 Scout. Paid $305.00 plus $50.00 shiping.
    Parts incl. Blackops carbon rigid fork. Acros headset, BB5's with O-8 superlight levers (50g per set). O-8 stem, bars , post, seat. 34t Crank and rear hub conversion with a 17t cog. Wheels are Xero 24spoke deals. with Miner 29er tires
    Weight was 27lbs flat. Swapped front wheel with Bontrager Rhythm Elite and an slant6 Kenda. Lost over pound there.
    Havent had a chance to ride around much yet but its very smooth with no drivetrain noise whatsoever. Rigid fork is gonna be a bit of a learning curve
    Last edited by trodaq; 03-03-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: pics added

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Congrats, that is exactly what I did in preparation for my single speed bike and I was surprised at how effective it was. Pics?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Will try to get pics up soon.

mtbr member
    I test rode one of these on a trail in WV one time and I loved it. I was bike packing at the time and my bike was in the shop for maintenance. While I was waiting the shop owner told me I should take this thing for a spin. I probably would have bought it if my bike trailer would have worked with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Origin 8 Scout 29er pics

Finally got some pics together. Won a botrager elite pro hub on fleabay. Gonna build a rear wheel with the Veloccity Blunt SL. Possibly an Eno in the near future

" width="549">[

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looks like you scored, especially with the included Black Ops fork. Unless you're riding brutally rough terrain, you'll probably learn to like the rigid carbon fork - especially when standing to climb. On another note, I bet not too many people mess with you from the collection of gun safes and shell loaders you've got!
    Enjoy that bike!

mtbr member
    Wow, that looks an awful lot like my bike. It will be interesting to see how you like it. I have a switchblade fork which I would think to be similar to the O8 on yours. I like the orange headset. I may have to pick one up to match my orange chainring.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice build. Orgin8 has some really solid products.

I really like the levers- how are they working? Do you have some mechanical disc brake experience to compare them to?

I kinda hate BB5s. Put BB7s on the upgrade list, but hydros are way better overall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I agree about the BB5s. I had a set off BB7s hanging around. There actually on the bike in a couple of pics. Had them on another bike with shimano levers. Switched over to Avid FR7s. I felt a big diff.
    I havent had a chance use the Superlight light levers alot, but so far atleast on par with the avids. They look kinda fragile and run a derailleur cable but thet are only 50g for the set . Time will tell

one chain loop
    yea, nice bike. nice armory too.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Gotta have hobbies!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had the 2009 version Scout with aluminum frame...I really miss this bike (stolen). Picked up a Dawes DeadEye, of which I like, but the Scout felt more nimble and climbed like a goat due to it's short stays and wheelbase.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just laced up a rear wheel out of parts I had kicking around. ( Plus i need practice for when i spend money on parts to build a wheel). When I went to swap tires I pulled out the tube and it weighed 1lb8oz. Holy crap. Bike now 24lbs 12oz. Feels better and better

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Very nice bike. I wish I could get mine to weigh that little.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had a chance to put some time on the new ride. Schedule has not been cooperating in the last couple of weeks. So far its a winner. I did switch over to flats because I wanted to give them a try for a while. I had a set of Snafus from another bike I had bought. I have to say I kinda liking the flats. It takes a bit to figure out foot position to keep knees etc in line, but i do like being able to move foot foward and drop ankles on downhills. Movement just needs to be a little more fluid, but tht will come with time. Also noticed very little loss of power compared to clipless. Im able to "scoop" the pedal to keep the pressure on during a full rotation. Again Im sure that will improve with time.
    As far as the bike goes. All my other bikes are either carbon or aluminum. Im diggin the steel frame, carbon post and fork setup. Like the steel enough that Im actually piecing together a
    91 DB axis SS as my next ride.
    I was a little nervous about the 34/17 gears, But with the short chainstays and SS efficiency this seems to be the ideal gearing for my area. Not gonna be the fastest on the flats but the climbing willl be good.
    Only problem is this is my smallest bike with the longest stem@120mm. I have the seat back as far as I can but am going to switch to a setback to get back a little further. Im 6"0" with a 33.5" inseam. I just feel more comfortable and powerful on a 21". If the setback post gets me there. This will be a keeper

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah I have the same bike except it's 17" Alum. I am 5'-8". I feel like the bike "binds" me up just a little too. I added oversized grips (blueskycycling.com) on mine and it made a big difference. Carbon fork is next on my list.

Sad to say that my $2450 full susp is starting to collect lots of dust. Will I ever go back to gears...?

Members who have read this thread: 0