New to SS, New bike on the way...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New to SS, New bike on the way...

Hello! It's been great reading through the forum and I've learned a lot. Just starting mountain biking this year and love it. I have a buddy that's into the SS thing and after trying his, I was sold.

I just won this on eBay

Looks like a great deal and a good SS to start with. As those with more experience with SS, please look through the components and let me know what you think. I have approx. $500-700 I can use to "upgrade", if necessary. If everything seems decent, I have no problem saving it for a rainy day.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by coryjeb; 06-06-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling; changed link

mtbr member
    I'd look for a suspension fork and hydro brakes. Mostly a squishy fork. In my opinion you'll be able to ride longer, faster, and harder with some squish.

Those cranks are great and the wheels should be good until you wear them out. If that seat doesn't work for you, WTB makes another one called the PURE V and it is awesome.

In your price range a used FOX should be available, but a Rockshox or manitou should work. I'm not really up on the 29er fork market. If you start looking for used forks (be careful) figure out what the minimum steerer tube length you need is and make sure any fork your looking at has enough steerer tube to mount your stem where you want it. Looks like that frame takes a non taper steerer tube and your wheel has a 9mm qr axle so those are important to look for when/if you go shopping.

Good luck and it looks like a fun bike!

mtbr member
    I think its perfect myself. I ride rigid and love it and I also use bb7 brakes. When I built mine the brakes were the hardest thing to decide on, but chose the mechanical for their simplicity, and am glad I did. Just put some miles on it and see what hurts the worst on you when your done and try to fix that problem. Have fun, and welcome to the world of no shifters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rigid!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I already have Time ROC S pedals and a nice Specialized seat that will be going on the bike. After reading lots of info, it seems that the BB 7's are a great brake, at least for mechanical, so I'll probably see how that goes.

It seems that there is no "glaring" weakness on the build (subjective, I know), so I'll probably see how the fork/tires/wheels handle.

I might add that I'm a touch over 6' and weigh about 240 if that matters as far as how it's currently built up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    With speed dial levers the bb7s will be more than good enough, and simple! Congrats on the purchase; you'll be in love the second you jump on!

mtbr member
    Wow, a new rider diving into the SS thing right off the bat. The "norm" is usually a vet looking for something different or to make those old trails new again. 'Grats, and have fun!

mtbr member
    One 30 min ride on my friends SS and it was a done deal, all I had to do is find/build one. It was so quiet and simple, can't wait for it to get here.

local trails rider
    I haven't used BB7 brakes but so many people are happy with them that they will surely be just fine.

Rigid is a different kind of fun. You need to adjust your riding style and technique, compared to a HT bike. Otherwise the ride gets really tiring over the bumps. Just yesterday, I was riding some pretty technical trails on my rigid 26er. I wasn't fast but I rarely am. Great fun

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Yea, I suppose the 'need' for suspension doesn't really come into play until the speeds and trails get knarly. Starting out riding rigid will build skill and finesse that will prove valuable on any bicycle down the road.

Nice bike. I think it's fine how it is. If you want, I would say throw a sus. fork on there. I ride rigid though and wouldn't bother with it. Those BB7 are going to be great, but if you're interested in hydros just keep a meandering eye out.

Teen Wolf
    enjoy it and upgrade as you break stuff

mtbr member
    I zoomed in on the picture and it looks like the wheels are Bontrager SS Dusters.

FedEx comes on Monday, can't wait...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Wheels and tires are always the first place I spend any money.
    In the ebay listing it doesn't say much about the wheels, just the brand. Could be entry level or great.

For where and how I ride SB8s do not work so I'd look to get new tires and set them up tubeless.

I'd start with the rigid fork and see how you like it. With a bigger tire like a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 set up tubeless, rigid can be great. If you decide it's not your bag, I'd wait until a little later in the season when you can find a better deal on a used for or a closeout.

I really like BB7s (although both my bike currently have hydros). Super easy to setup and hassle free. Set them up with something like Delta Powerlines housing and cables and their performance is awesome.

mtbr member
    SS and hydraulics doesn't sound right

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by the pope View Post
    SS and hydraulics doesn't sound right
    SS drivetrain doesn't make hydraulic brakes work any worse

On the other hand... if you want PURE, there's always brakeless fixies

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Members who have read this thread: 0