NEW to SS..This may have been answered b4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NEW to SS..This may have been answered b4

so,so,so I am going to try SS, and I have a 34 on the front...and I want to ask this; for riding things like easy/medium c/c (e.g. for those in northern calfornia...tamaracho... this includes climbing in redwood, tamaranco, china camp, bronies and anything in the east bay hills....) So I Ask...what would be the rear gear optimum? I realise I could search for this answer, but I am psyched to try this (bored with gears)..thanks!!! please, this is really is a "newbie ask" .......cheers for advice

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I run 34x18 on my monocog. It handles moderate climbs pretty well and still gives me enough speed in the flat to rolling singletrack.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal
    so,so,so I am going to try SS, and I have a 34 on the front...and I want to ask this; for riding things like easy/medium c/c (e.g. for those in northern calfornia...tamaracho... this includes climbing in redwood, tamaranco, china camp, bronies and anything in the east bay hills....) So I Ask...what would be the rear gear optimum? I realise I could search for this answer, but I am psyched to try this (bored with gears)..thanks!!! please, this is really is a "newbie ask" .......cheers for advice
    I'd say start with a 20t in the rear. But if you like this SS thing in the long run you're going to own a range of rear cogs and maybe even front rings to setup the bike for different rides. I can run 2:1 on the stuff I ride on the weekdays but on the trails with bigger, longer climbs I would never make it. Plus as you get stronger you preferences will change. When in doubt, start out easy and work up. BMX cogs are cheap to experiment with.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member

Smile

thanks for the replies and info. I will start easy....really easy ...20t and see how it goes this weekend.

CHeers!

Members who have read this thread: 0