New to SS and I need to know what to do- Mtbr.com
    SSlow rider

New to SS and I need to know what to do

I just picked up this older Giant bike used from Craigslist and plan on building it into a SS this Fall/Winter. I'll be sure to post a better pic once I take my camera to it later in the week.

My main question is, how easy will it be to set it up as a SS? My main goals will be to setup the gearing and upgrade the brakes to V-brakes. This bike will serve main duty as a hauler for my son in his trailer, but will see some XC/singletrack use as well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    SS + kid in trailer = bad idea. Unless it is dead flat.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    SS + kid in trailer = bad idea. Unless it is dead flat.
    agree. i use mine to pull my kids on the trail-a-bike but ONLY around town....otherwise, the geared bike for off-road

SSlow rider
    Well, the bike is up and running. I went with a 32/16 ratio and it's a magic gear with the use of a half link in my chain. The bike is fun to ride, but I spun out on a couple of stretches of pavement tonight. I'll ride on the dirt soon and see how it fares.

My only remaining issue is "fit." The frame is a bit big, and it's compounded by having a LONG gooseneck (is that the right term) stem on it. I also have to stretch the fingers a bit to pull on the brakes levers. I've got old LX cantis on there and i plkan to upgrade to v-brakes soon, but what can I doo about the stem? Are these "gooseneck" stems still common?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    agree. i use mine to pull my kids on the trail-a-bike but ONLY around town....otherwise, the geared bike for off-road
    I have a coworker who used his singlespeed with a trail-a-bike behind and a trailer attached to the trail-a-bike for a damn good workout. He usually did it on a pretty flat, paved bike/walking path that follows the river through town. It did have a couple of hills that I'm sure were a challenge pulling his girls. I pull my son on the trail-a-bike around the same loop and it really isn't that difficult on a singlespeed. Haven't taken it offroad yet but there is a really flat trail along the lake that I think I could do so though.

SSlow rider
    I haven't pulled the trailer on the bike yet, but I don't see where it'd be a problem. My main concern at this point is that I'm too stretched out with this long stem. I have problems turning well on the bike, I don't want that grief when I'm pulling my son. I'll continue to pull him with my geared bike until I swap out the stem.

Members who have read this thread: 0