New SS in the house! ride impression: Kona Major Jake 'Cross- Mtbr.com
    Witty McWitterson

New SS in the house! ride impression: Kona Major Jake 'Cross

H-oly schit!

First things first: Those of you who know me, know that I've been an avowed steel-guy since that last Cannondale mountain bike I broke over 10 years ago. I've been through at least 15 bikes, all of them steel of one grade or another. All have been fun to ride, and of course, have had that sweet "steel ride" we all know and love so much. And I still love it. But this thing has put up a serious challenge to that mantel.

H-oly schit! again.

The Major Jake this year is a scandium tubed wonder bike. I won't go through measurements, but it is a 60cm frame. Nice and big. And that might have something to do with the ride too. I dunno. Doing the typical finger ping on the down tube doesn't get the sweet long ping that you get from steel, of course. What you do get though is a remarkable thin feeling tink! So thin sounding in fact, I'm worried about denting the down tube with flying stones from the front wheel! So thin that it also has built a remarkably light bike. I'm guessing around 18 -19 lbs. And thats using normal parts, nothing exotic at all. Stupendouly light for moi. I like it too. I've never had anything so light. Even my road bikes have been over 21lbs.

I just got back from the first shake down ride on some of the gravel farming roads I've got here in my neck of the woods. I live in a river valley, so there's plenty of hills on this route too. After jumping on it and feeling comfortable from the git-go, the first thing I notice is how easily it gets rolling, but that could easily be written off to the hubs. A Mavic 501 front(nos from eBay) and a White Industries Eno eccentric rear. I like nice, smooth bearings.

I come to my first climb and tentitivly crank up the 20 foot rise. It immediately jumps forward with surges as I crank around on the Race Face cranks. Not bad. As I cruise down into the valley, its really stable feeling. Not neccessarily solid, I can still feel the lightness of it, but stable. On we go. On to the next climb and I just gun it up the hill, probably a 50' gain this time. I just rocket right up, absolutely NO hint of flex coming from the frame. I'm impressed. But what is it gonna feel like once I hit that washboard I'm aiming for? From all the old Cannondales I rode, I remembered wash board as being a death defying experience. You'd just get completely rattled, and the bike would skip all over the place. And that was on fat 26" tires. So I was kinda dreading this. Rode straight through the middle of the washboard, and got all knocked around, just like I was thinking, but it was from the front...from the steel Kona P2 fork...the rear of the bike was nice and smooth, just like a steel bike. So I gleefully hit every washboard I could find for the rest of the ride. This is remarkable!

The next test was a nice deep ravine descent/climb. I had been steadily climbing this whole time, just chugging along, remarking at how each rise in the road was met with a pounding and a graceful fresting of the hill, with little to no effort. But they were all short hills, of 20' to 50' rise. This one was 150'. and steep on the way in and out. I don't have a computer on it, but I'd guess I hit 35 on the way down. Nice and stable again, but I could still feel how light it was. That's kinda wierd. I'll come out and say this right now. I suck at climbing. I lose positions climbing all the time. This time, I went all out on the climb up. SO much so, I was seeing stars at the top. Too many of them...This bike just danced up the climb. Taking my 240lbs and swaying of the bike to and fro like nothing. Didn't faze it all. No flex. None at all. I can get my Hunter 29" mtb to flex like grass if I push it that hard. The MJ was asking for more.

Cool. I LIKE this bike! Cross season this year is gonna be fun! I may have to try to hit more races than I initally though I could. Hooooneeeyyyy.....!

Teaser unfinished pics. I'll get finished ones once the wife gets home with the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a regular guy.

newbie boobie.
    Come on now...
    don't tease us.
    MORE PICS!

Nice, was thinking of getting one myself.
    It ain't easy being human.

Witty McWitterson
    Ok, you drive a hard bargain donkekus....more pics here.

Parts include:
    Kona Scandium Major Jake frame
    Kona P2 fork, steel
    XTR seat post
    WTB seat
    Salsa SUL stem
    Salsa Bell La 46cm bars
    Specailized Phat wrap(long enough to give me a second layer on the tops...cool!)
    Shi mano brake levers
    onZa H.O. canti 's (nos too!)
    Race Face Bb and cranks w/Time pedals
    White Industries ENO eccentric rear hub
    Mavic 501 front hub
    built with wheelsmith spokes to Velocity Aerohead rims(Nice rims BTW, build up nice)
    Just a regular guy.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Agree with you on the Scandium assessment. I'me riding a scandium tubed road frame (w/ carbon s/s) and find the ride is also steel-like, but lighter! Cool beans. That Kona would look sweeeet with a set of Paul's Mafac-like cantis.

Witty McWitterson
    nother...
    Just a regular guy.

Witty McWitterson
    standard boring profile shot...
    Just a regular guy.

Witty McWitterson
    I'd love to find a set of the Neoretros for this. If you can find me a pair cheap...I'm all over it Mike! They go for a fortune on eBay...
    Just a regular guy.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I'd love to find a set of the Neoretros for this. If you can find me a pair cheap...I'm all over it Mike! They go for a fortune on eBay...
    They're listed at $93 on Paul's site - pretty steep for cantis. I'm actually heading to Chico for vacation in a couple of days and planned to give Paul a ring. If he has them for a decent price I can pick up a set. PM me and I'll see what we can do.

newbie boobie.
    Can that frame also take discs?

NICE!!!
    It ain't easy being human.

34N 118W

Good job! Paul & Onza

great looking bike

Neo Retros cheaper here:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='1260-00'
    (copy & paste)

I've been looking for one myself as front-only for a fixie. Super cool.

How do you like your Onza HO's? I've got a set on a cruiser and could be tempted to use them instead on the new bike. I've never really had to put them to the test though.

enjoy!
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Last edited by Hollywood; 06-27-2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: link

Witty McWitterson
    I like them alot. I've got the red ritchey pads on them now, and they stop...err slow me down quite well. The arms are nice and stiff, and the adjustment couldn't be easier, what with separate bolts and all. I'm in enough trouble as is with simply purchasing this bike AND having anew baby in the house...so getting additional parts may be ahhhmm, a touchy subject to say the least.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike!
    It's funny, i just finished building up an older Major Jake frame as a singlespeed for myself. It's a 60cm as well, but it's a different setup. Mustache bars, v-brakes, and a 39x17 gearing.
    What gearing are you using? Mine seems a bit steep, and i'm changing it to a 39x18.
    I'll post pics here soon.
    Joe.

Witty McWitterson
    Its set up as 40-20. Too short me thinks. I'm thinking about a 19 or 18 for the flip side of the hub for roadish rides. For racing the 40-20 MIGHT be ok, but we'll see.
    Just a regular guy.

Witty McWitterson
    yup, the frame has disc mounts, but oddly there are none on the fork. I won't be using discs on this anyways. Canti's or bust for me on this project!
    Just a regular guy.