new SS/FS option?- Mtbr.com
    hot like a box of fire

new SS/FS option?

Interesting new bike from Canfield.
    Not sure how I feel about the design and placement of that tensioner though.

Canfield Brothers
    The frame is deraillieur compatable. SS is just how I set up my personal bike. I believe it is a new way to SS a fully, at least I haven't seen another one with a rollercoaster. It eliminates anything hanging off the rear to snag and destroy.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I can see that tensioner getting torn off after a few downed logs or a big rock garden.

banned
    a local univ of MT student just built a Heckler w/ 6" fork and running a road der in the rear for tension, running SS on a converted gearie hub. haven't seen or heard about how it's handled chainline on rough stuff yet.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Muncher
    Yeah, I can see that tensioner getting torn off after a few downed logs or a big rock garden.
    Not neccessarily. If I understand how the Roox Rollercoaster works, it'll pivot up (toward the chainstay) when you snag something, offering a level of anti-mangle protection.

Also, if flymybike is one of the two people I think it is, then that bike has been ridden in stuff that would give normal mortals pause even on a DH rig. If the tensioner is still attached after the frame has been put through its paces, then most likely it's a pretty solid setup. Ingenious, as well, IMHO. I've never seen a Rollercoaster used in a SS environment before. It's quite logical when you think about it, and certainly has it's advantages over, say, a Paul Melvin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Muncher
    It looks like the tire will take most of the hit. If you are going to hit a log or rock, the tire should hit first.

Not sure, but it seems like that would lower the chances of getting ripped off.

Whatever! Just crash it!

Not really interested...

I guess my whole point for riding a single speed is the simplicity and basic nature of the bike. Adding suspension sort of gets rid of that. If I'm gonna have boing, I would rather ride my geared bike.

I guess that's just me though.
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    Not neccessarily. If I understand how the Roox Rollercoaster works, it'll pivot up (toward the chainstay) when you snag something, offering a level of anti-mangle protection.
    Yes it's Lance. I haven't had much time on this setup but I think it should hold up better than a tensioner in the back. It moves up toward the chainstay when hit, my consern is that there is nothing holding it on it the back cog. Time will tell if I need to guide the rear cog as well. If it work on the Balance I will try it on my F1.
    I have been running a road 105 rear on my F1 and it has been flawless. I've beat it for 4 months now, 4 weekends in Silverton and then 10 days in BC plus all the weekly rides. The side of the derailliuer body is ground down to where you can't really tell what it is but still is guiding the chain and I haven't even had to adjust it! I wish I had a digi camera to show yall.

mtbr member

I'm really fired up...

...to get more details on this single-sided swingarm as well. Had a good conversation with Chris yesterday. Cool, innovative stuff. I continue to pester Canfield them re a 29er FS...

Per Chris, the suspension design should providing for a stiffening of the rear end on out of the saddle efforts while still allowing for bump compliance. Imagine that an SS that stick better to the ground on hard climbs...

The "keep it simple" thing can get a bit played out. I appreciate the simplicity of my rigid SS KM (w/discs) but have been yearning for something that allows for some cush so that the rest of my body, my back in particular, doesn't give out before my legs do.

Big props to all the small builders that keep pushing it and trying new things.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    SS and "boing" can go hand in hand. I have been riding a SS Intense Spider for 4 months using a Pauls "Melvin" as a chain tensioner. The result has been amazing, the VPP helps the climbing traction and the bike descends way wicked, as proper squishy bike should.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

dean ace/ionic e3

i think the dean ace/ionic e3 frame would also be great to work with for an ss fs project. get a eno, or the perfect gearing, and you probably would have any problems. the rear end pivots around the bb shell. nice frames with a great design and craftmanship.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Objectionable Material
    I guess my whole point for riding a single speed is the simplicity and basic nature of the bike. Adding suspension sort of gets rid of that. If I'm gonna have boing, I would rather ride my geared bike.

I guess that's just me though.
    Last edited by Kam; 10-14-2004 at 09:40 PM. Reason: .