New SS cranks...HELP- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New SS cranks...HELP

I had been rolling some prototype Bontrager cranks on my bike until the Iceman a couple weeks ago, when i found out why they never made production. I'm currently thinking about replacing them with the Truvativ Noirs. Are there production SS cranks out there that are better (lighter/stiffer). i can probably wessel my way into an industry discount, so think new, current model, not "i suggest using some m-960 cranks with a Salsa ring..." thanks for your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I suggest using M970 cranks with a Blackspire ring.... seriously. The XTR feels so much better than my Stylos. They bearing adjustment is also... existent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill
    , so think new, current model, not "i suggest using some m-960 cranks with a Salsa ring..." thanks for your suggestions.
    I'd place a set of my custom XTR 960 or 970 cranks against any production set, in looks, performance, weight, and durability. Using higher quality parts and coatings than the factory products. They give the biggest bang for a buck you can get. Maybe some of the customers who've purchased them will validate this.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    my wife is selling a set of RS8's (no ring) and PW 68X113 BB w/ steel cups.....they're pretty nice...

i run the circumcised M960's and a set of 180 ENO's....they're purty nice too....IMHO
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My middleburn rs7 are plenty stiff, but with the bottom bracket, not particularly light. Also, I'd swear the q-factor is larger than my xtr 960 on my geared bike. In retrospect, I'd have gone with the custom xtr 960, with a ti ring. May still do that. But -- the Noir is very, very light.

AZ
    banned
    Another vote for 970's

mtbr member
    I'm a little out of it when it comes to chain ring sizes. and, i know shimano has done some stuff on their own. do the 970s have a standard chain ring interface? Who makes a good ring for those cranks? bash guard?

thanks

mtbr member

XTR 970 Ring BCD

XTR 970 has a 104/64 bcd, so there's a wide variety of rings and bashguards that can be mounted.

Witty McWitterson
    15G.

I like mine.
    Just a regular guy.

Members who have read this thread: 0