New SS conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New SS conversion

Just finished my Specialized Rockhopper 2009 Disc conversion! Used a cheap SS kit from Wheel Manufacturing (SSK3) which came with all the spacers, chain guide and cog.

I bought a SS/3S specific chain and a half link and it seems to have decent tension without an aditional tensioner. There is around 15mm of travel up, and 15mm down on the chain.

A few test rides have not caused it to skip, but nothing very hard. There is some noise, possibly the chainline is a little off, but i cant really tell.

Im running 32/16 (2:1) to start and ill see how i get on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SS conversion-27078_10150168822605463_672485462_12088010_2042059_n.jpg  

New SS conversion-27078_10150168823305463_672485462_12088051_2314027_n.jpg  

New SS conversion-27078_10150168823620463_672485462_12088052_4730461_n.jpg  

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Cool. I'm converting my Rockhopper Comp tonight.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Post some photos when your done!

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I started a thread of my build here:
    click
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

I always bleed like this.
    Your chainline is off. Shift your cog outboard a spacer or two and I bet that solves your problem.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Nice build!
    Looks like you're running a geared bike chainring. I'd go with something specific for singlespeeds or 1x9's. Geared chainrings are ramped and pinned to promote shifting, which you definitely dont want.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    yes , you need to toss the ring , ISAR rings have cause quite a stir within the SS community
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah ill get a SS specific ring soon. How can you tell the line is off?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Nice build!
    Looks like you're running a geared bike chainring. I'd go with something specific for singlespeeds or 1x9's. Geared chainrings are ramped and pinned to promote shifting, which you definitely dont want.
    why?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

I always bleed like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcgeown
    Yeah ill get a SS specific ring soon. How can you tell the line is off?
    Experience. The chain will look straight because it is, it is forming the shortest distance between two points. However, the cog and the chainring are not the same distance from the centerline of the bike.

Somewhat hard to explain. Imagine that you have no front chainring.
    Now, imagine where the chain would extend if it was perfectly aligned with the cog.
    That imaginary line should lay right over the front chainring.
    Take your chain off and focus on your cog like a golfer lining up a shot, you will see that your front chainring is a little to the right of that imaginary line. If that is hard to see imagine laying a steel ruler on the side of your cog so it is flat on the metal. The ruler is aligned with the cog. That is your ideal chainline.
    Since you cant adjust your front chainring Q factor easily slide your cog out a space or two.

You can also measure from the centerline of the frame but that can be difficult and you will be surprised by how just a few mm's will bring everything into a smooth running alignment.

Hopefully that was more help than hinder. It is hard to explain without showing you what I mean.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    why?
    because your unborn children will recieve brain damage.

~Disc~Golf~
    because your unborn children will recieve brain damage.
    hmm, nice metaphor.
    But ramps and pins only really serve to uptake the chain, not to shed the chain. Needed on SS? -no...something "you definitely dont want"? -why not, it wont do any harm.
    With a properly tensioned chain and good chain line, it's virtually impossible to throw a chain in most circumstances.

I understand you make some really nice cogs and rings, (I'd might even buy from you if I was in the market), but I (among others) run ramped/pinned rings SS without issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice! I'm right behind you. Just waiting on these dang parts to come in (treefortbikes sucks). SSing my HardRock.

And yes, you can tell just from your pic that your chainline is off. Good Luck!

Jul 2006
    hmm, nice metaphor.
    But ramps and pins only really serve to uptake the chain, not to shed the chain. Needed on SS? -no...something "you definitely dont want"? -why not, it wont do any harm.
    With a properly tensioned chain and good chain line, it's virtually impossible to throw a chain in most circumstances.

I understand you make some really nice cogs and rings, (I'd might even buy from you if I was in the market), but I (among others) run ramped/pinned rings SS without issue.
    The teeth are much shorter and narrower, and not ideal for SS purposes. If it's ramped to help the chain ride up onto the ring, it can most definitely help the other side of the chain up and over the teeth as well. If the chain ever gets loose, it could be painful, from personal experience. I'm not trying to push my product here, and i usually make a point to keep my stuff in my thread. He can go get a salsa or blackspire and i'd be much happier than if he ran a ramped/pinned ring.

~Disc~Golf~
    ... I'm not trying to push my product here,
    not tryin to insinuate that at all my man
    (actually dropping a slight hint if he was to go w/ an SS ring)

Jul 2006
    not tryin to insinuate that at all my man
    (actually dropping a slight hint if he was to go w/ an SS ring)
    It's cool, didnt think you were, i just wanted to make sure he didnt think my advice was loaded.
    Appreicate the hint drop though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll check the chain line tonight and look at some SS rings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well took it on the trails for 4 hours today, worked faultlessly and was SO much fun! I thought it would be a lot harder to adjust to SS, but within a few minutes i was a lot faster than with shifters! Love it.

Before i went out, i moved the cog out by one spacer and it quietend things down a bit. THe chain has stretched some more, so i definately need a tensioner, but i may try a 18t and see if i get on with the ratio and it may take up the slack.

Members who have read this thread: 0