New to the SS clan...- Mtbr.com
    Inbred Homebrewer

New to the SS clan...

Hey all,

Just now dipping my toe in the singlespeed waters. Been meaning to resurrect one of the old frames in my attic for years, but somehow never got around to it.

So I finally packed everyone into the car bright and early last Saturday for a trip to the Lehigh Valley Velodrome's fall flea market/swapmeet. Scored enough in the way of bargain parts (NOS) to rebuild my old Bianchi Denali RC (again!) but this time with a twist...

Singlespeed!!

The spec is something I like to call 'mid-nineties XC chic' (or '21st century trailer-park budget'.) Take your pick!

Frame: 1995-6 Denali RC (handbuilt in Italy at Bianchi's Reparto Corse shop) Lugged Columbus EL/OS tubing. Same frame used by the Bianchi XC pros back in the day.

Fork: 1995 (I think?) RockShox Judy SL, with Englund Total Air cartridges. Was going to put a rigid cromo fork from an old stumpjumper on it, but gave up after a half hour of trying to get the crown race seated. I dunno what's up with that fork. I know it's a 1" steerer, but I'd swear I need a 1 1/8" race for it. Anyway, I gave up and mounted the Judy instead.

Wheels: XTR/517 rear, with a pile of spacers and a 19t cog. Mavic Crossland front (attic)

Cranks: '94 Deore LX. 32t ring. (attic)

BB: Real USA, square taper circa '97 (attic)

Brakes: XT front, Performance Forte Team rear (cheap, functional) w/ Avid SD levers (attic)

Seatpost: 199x Control Tech. Made in USA. (NOS swap item)

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Ti (ain't exaclty the most comfy thing out there, but I had it layin' around and figured I'll probably stand a lot anyway!)

Bar: World Force DH 2" rise (another $10 swap meet bit)

Stem: Bontrager 105 mm x 5 (5$ at the swap)

Grips: OURY ($9)

Tires: Tioga DH 2.3 rear, WTB Mutano 2.4" front.

Misc: Pyramid chain tensioner (singleator knock-off, $25)

With the only noteworthy exceptions being the lack of gears and derailleurs, & flat bar w/ bar ends, it looks pretty much the same way it did when I used to enter XC races on it back in '97-'99

Took the thing out for it's first ride Sunday and had a great time. Found my thumb and forefinger searching for rapidfire levers a few times (surprise!) kinda the same way my left foot searches in vain for a clutch every time I drive an automatic.

The 32 x 19 gear spins a little too easy on flat sections, but I think it'll come in handy on the hills around here.

All told, it cost me ~$120 and one afternoon to go from a frame on a hook in the attic to a fully functional and very fun bike. It's weird. I wasn't sure if I'd like singlespeeding but, after one ride, I can say I kinda see the appeal.

Taking it out after work tonight. This will be my first single-speed night ride since. . .uhh. . .I dunno, 14 years or so ago riding BMX under a full moon.

Should be a treat!!

I'll post pics when I get around to taking some.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Probably drunk right now

6 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Hey all,

Just now dipping my toe in the singlespeed waters. Been meaning to resurrect one of the old frames in my attic for years, but somehow never got around to it.

So I finally packed everyone into the car bright and early last Saturday for a trip to the Lehigh Valley Velodrome's fall flea market/swapmeet. Scored enough in the way of bargain parts (NOS) to rebuild my old Bianchi Denali RC (again!) but this time with a twist...

Singlespeed!!

The spec is something I like to call 'mid-nineties XC chic' (or '21st century trailer-park budget'.) Take your pick!

Frame: 1995-6 Denali RC (handbuilt in Italy at Bianchi's Reparto Corse shop) Lugged Columbus EL/OS tubing. Same frame used by the Bianchi XC pros back in the day.

Fork: 1995 (I think?) RockShox Judy SL, with Englund Total Air cartridges. Was going to put a rigid cromo fork from an old stumpjumper on it, but gave up after a half hour of trying to get the crown race seated. I dunno what's up with that fork. I know it's a 1" steerer, but I'd swear I need a 1 1/8" race for it. Anyway, I gave up and mounted the Judy instead.

Wheels: XTR/517 rear, with a pile of spacers and a 19t cog. Mavic Crossland front (attic)

Cranks: '94 Deore LX. 32t ring. (attic)

BB: Real USA, square taper circa '97 (attic)

Brakes: XT front, Performance Forte Team rear (cheap, functional) w/ Avid SD levers (attic)

Seatpost: 199x Control Tech. Made in USA. (NOS swap item)

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Ti (ain't exaclty the most comfy thing out there, but I had it layin' around and figured I'll probably stand a lot anyway!)

Bar: World Force DH 2" rise (another $10 swap meet bit)

Stem: Bontrager 105 mm x 5 (5$ at the swap)

Grips: OURY ($9)

Tires: Tioga DH 2.3 rear, WTB Mutano 2.4" front.

Misc: Pyramid chain tensioner (singleator knock-off, $25)

With the only noteworthy exceptions being the lack of gears and derailleurs, & flat bar w/ bar ends, it looks pretty much the same way it did when I used to enter XC races on it back in '97-'99

Took the thing out for it's first ride Sunday and had a great time. Found my thumb and forefinger searching for rapidfire levers a few times (surprise!) kinda the same way my left foot searches in vain for a clutch every time I drive an automatic.

The 32 x 19 gear spins a little too easy on flat sections, but I think it'll come in handy on the hills around here.

All told, it cost me ~$120 and one afternoon to go from a frame on a hook in the attic to a fully functional and very fun bike. It's weird. I wasn't sure if I'd like singlespeeding but, after one ride, I can say I kinda see the appeal.

Taking it out after work tonight. This will be my first single-speed night ride since. . .uhh. . .I dunno, 14 years or so ago riding BMX under a full moon.

Should be a treat!!

I'll post pics when I get around to taking some.
    That's my prediction. In 6 months you'll start specifying your need Seven, Indy Fab, Moots, Chester, etc. blinglespeed with XTR, Chris King and various other sexy bits.

Welcome to the addiction. Enjoy the pain.

Ken

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    That's my prediction. In 6 months you'll start specifying your need Seven, Indy Fab, Moots, Chester, etc. blinglespeed with XTR, Chris King and various other sexy bits.

Welcome to the addiction. Enjoy the pain.

Ken
    Then of course there's the lustworthy
    Retrotecs.

Probably drunk right now

Oh yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Then of course there's the lustworthy
    Retrotecs.
    I guess I would be remiss if I didn't mention Curtis' bikes. Ultrabling, ultra fun and damn sexy to boot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Fork: 1995 (I think?) RockShox Judy SL, with Englund Total Air cartridges. Was going to put a rigid cromo fork from an old stumpjumper on it, but gave up after a half hour of trying to get the crown race seated. I dunno what's up with that fork. I know it's a 1" steerer, but I'd swear I need a 1 1/8" race for it.
    Might take a Japanese standard size crown race . A shop could mill it down for you.

Later
    T

mtbr member
    WHO MAKES THAT FRAME...? that's nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    I guess I would be remiss if I didn't mention Curtis' bikes. Ultrabling, ultra fun and damn sexy to boot.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by biss-ness
    WHO MAKES THAT FRAME...? that's nice!
    Take a deep breath, step back a minute, and read Ken's post, then read my post

mtbr member
    Whoo... thanks, I almost didn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Take a deep breath, step back a minute, and read Ken's post, then read my post

Probably drunk right now

Here you go....

Quote Originally Posted by biss-ness
    Whoo... thanks, I almost didn't make it.
    http://www.ingliscycles.com/

Take a look around. You can not go wrong with Curtis Inglis' bikes. He places a high value on pride and craftmanship, so if you're looking for a bike in a week, you won't get it.

If you're willing to be patient for a kick ass bike, this one worth waiting for. I have a $3,000 bike sitting in my garage, barely used because of this bike.

It doesn't suck. Here's another one for you.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images