new ss build- Mtbr.com

Thread: new ss build

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

new ss build

so im getting back into biking after breaking my shins 5 years ago. I want to go with another single speed but a 29er this go round.

I have just about narrowed it down to

kona unit
    kona big unit
    spot rocker

which would yall go with? all would be frame up builds... all using most likely a niner carbon fork. no clue what to go with for wheel sets or bottom bracket.

what are yall's opinions? or should I just buy a bike already built to get back into things?

my local trails are nothing spectacular since our state is flat as a board.

mtbr member
    I'm on a Big Unit (that's what she said) and I really like it. Can't comment on the others. Mine I'm running just a cheap GPX bottom bracket and Truvative AKA cranks with a 32T Absolute Black oval ring which is really nice. Wheels are Stans Flows EX laced to Hope Pro 2 EVO and I just got a Bontrager Bowie fork to replace the Niner I had on the bike. I wanted 15mm and the Niner I had was QR. I also like the idea I can run 29+ tires up front if I choose.

Old fork....

new ss build-kona-big-unit.jpg
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not on your list, but check out the made in the USA Chumba Stella. It rips!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yea I cant afford a stella chumba. does look sick though!

hmm may have to look into the bowie fork then! I saw most setups were with the niner fork so I figured it must be something special!

Upcyclist
    If you could go a little slacker and wouldn't mind 120-140mm fork the 2016 Canfield Nimble 9 is on sale right now for a good price, only medium and small left, tho.

I almost got one.

*You could just about get a nice fork and Nimble 9 frame for the same price as the Spot frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    where is it on sale right now?

Upcyclist
    Nimble 9 mountain bike frame for downhill or cross-country riding

My friend is building his up right now. I'd be doing the same if they had a large.

mtbr member
    The Nimble9 is a really, really fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    dang that is a pretty good deal! hmmmmmm the decisions decisions

Upcyclist
    Sweet bike, Stopbreakindown! Is that a Cromoto fork?

I'm on a Yelli Screamy that I bought used with a 100mm suspension fork, I get a good number of pedal strikes and am going to bump it to 120mm.

Keep BB height and drop in mind with the frames designed for longer forks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tcazes View Post
    yea I cant afford a stella chumba. does look sick though!

hmm may have to look into the bowie fork then! I saw most setups were with the niner fork so I figured it must be something special!

No worries! Just going off the Spot Rocker being the same price, thought I'd throw it out there.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lol it's a used spot rocker not new! My bad I should have specified! Lol

Downcountry AF
    if you terrain is pretty tame, a Nimble 9 may not be as fun as it would be in other areas. I've never ridden one but it's designed as an all mountain hardtail. I would favor a more XC geo personally like the kona unit.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I really liked my N9 when I had it. Rode like a Cadillac...lol...but it was heavy. 6.6# frame or something like that. While the ride isn't as nice, the Kona does rip better than the N9.

new ss build-20130702_142549%5B1%5D.jpg
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    if you terrain is pretty tame, a Nimble 9 may not be as fun as it would be in other areas. I've never ridden one but it's designed as an all mountain hardtail. I would favor a more XC geo personally like the kona unit.
    I think you'd be surprised. I haven't ridden a N9 either, but I do have a Yelli Screamy with similar geometry. My terrain is smooth to rooty with quick ups and downs, no sustained climbs or descents. I really prefer a more upright position over aero/climbing mode, I grew up on BMX. That said, my Yelli is pretty XC at the moment with the 100mm fork, but I can't imagine that much of a change with a 120, I could be wrong.

My friend who just got a N9 did so because he wanted a steel HT and had fond memories of his old El Mariachi, so maybe look at those too. I'm still waiting for a ride report on the N9.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice build as long as the Hope hubs are the single speed specific ones. It's just as important if not more important that a QR15 up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm on a Big Unit (that's what she said) and I really like it. Can't comment on the others. Mine I'm running just a cheap GPX bottom bracket and Truvative AKA cranks with a 32T Absolute Black oval ring which is really nice. Wheels are Stans Flows EX laced to Hope Pro 2 EVO and I just got a Bontrager Bowie fork to replace the Niner I had on the bike. I wanted 15mm and the Niner I had was QR. I also like the idea I can run 29+ tires up front if I choose.

Old fork....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona Big Unit.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	1088106
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nimble nine ordered!!!!! Now time to start hunting down components and tools since I have virtually none of my tools anymore!! Any recommendations on components would be happily welcomed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Nice build as long as the Hope hubs are the single speed specific ones. It's just as important if not more important that a QR15 up front.
    No...not really. The Hopes are not SS and are great. 40 POE and haven't missed a beat. I previously had a Chris King SS hub and the Hopes IMO are not a downgrade in the least. The lesser POE was barely noticeable coming right off the CK and now the 72 POE is just a faded memory. I see NO reason to go with the SS specific hub over the standard, especially if there's even the smallest possibly that you may run the same wheels on a geared bike.

As far as the 15mm up front...for some of us it is important. I don't know about you...but I flex frames and I flex forks, especial rigid carbon forks. It's crazy annoying to constantly be grinding the rotor anytime you put some power down because of the fork flex not to mention the drag it creates. The 15mm TA forks all be eliminates that.

That's my experience running both SS specific and non-specific hubs and QR and 15mm forks...all on the same bike. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I think you'd be surprised. I haven't ridden a N9 either, but I do have a Yelli Screamy with similar geometry. My terrain is smooth to rooty with quick ups and downs, no sustained climbs or descents. I really prefer a more upright position over aero/climbing mode, I grew up on BMX. That said, my Yelli is pretty XC at the moment with the 100mm fork, but I can't imagine that much of a change with a 120, I could be wrong.

My friend who just got a N9 did so because he wanted a steel HT and had fond memories of his old El Mariachi, so maybe look at those too. I'm still waiting for a ride report on the N9.
    Rode mine mostly on some pretty tame trails...and it was fun. No doubt about it. For anyone else reading this considering the N9 for tame trails...if the weight isn't an issue...it's a perfectly fine frame for that type of riding. Unless you are a speed demon strava junkie...you'll go as fast as you need or want and it handles great and ride smooooth.

Upcyclist
    Nimble nine ordered!!!!! Now time to start hunting down components and tools since I have virtually none of my tools anymore!! Any recommendations on components would be happily welcomed!
    Sweet! Do you need everything, or do you have any parts laying around? Sounds like you've probably gotten rid of everything if you don't even have tools anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oh I need EVERYTHING only thing I have left are tire spoons lol it was a pretty bad accident when I broke both shins and I didn't think I'd ever ride mtb again so I stuck to 700c road ones but I'm feeling ambitious again and am ready to hit the dirt!!!!!

With that being said I started a new thread for my build so if you have any recommendations please go post there!!! It'd be GREATLY appreciated!

mtbr member
    Budget?

Here's my list to give some ideas...

I'd definitely get a carbon fork. Frame is already heavy...you'll appreciate the weight savings of a carbon fork for sure. I had a Whiskey #9 on the N9 but I liked the Niner better (minus the fact it was QR) that had more recently. I've now went back to 15mm TA with a Bontrager Bowie that will also allow me to run 29+ up front if I want. I haven't road it yet. I'm still getting the bike back together after it being apart the past 4-5 months.

Crank...I like direct mount. Pick your poison. Mine is a Truvative AKA (SRAM). Nothing special...but it works.

Absolute Black oval chainring.

Shimano XT or SLX brakes. Mine had Hopes which are great but I hate messing with DOT and the XT's are a lot easier to maintain. Still using the Hopes on my Kona though.

I'm a big guy so I've always appreciated Thomson parts...so seatpost and stem are Thomson on my SS currently. Used them on the N9 too.

Handlebars....wide. Pick whatever works. Mine are Crank Bros. cause they were on sale. No issues. They are what they are. I like the ESI Extra Chunky grips.

Wheels and hubs...so many options. Currently I'm on Flow EX rims and Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs. No complaints. If I was building a new wheel set for the same bike...I'd go Hope Pro 4 and something wider. If money allowed...maybe even carbon rims.

Upcyclist
    I'm going to be building wheels for my Yelli. I'm going with what's been recommended by very knowledgeable members here, and a desire to get as close as I can to plus size without going plus. I'm a plus sized person and have always wanted bigger tires, so this will be interesting.

Easton ARC35 rims
    DT Swiss 350 hubs (I'd think about Hope Trials hubs for SS)
    DT Competition double butted spokes and brass nipples

And good for you getting back on the dirt! Breaking both shins sounds horrible

*Edit: I mixed my wheelset builds up, I'm using my Hopes on the Yelli build. I put the correct list in your other thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It was rough!!!!

Budget wise I wanted to see if I can do the whole build for under 1200. Iv spent 500 for the frame already. Think I could keep the wheelset and fork under 700?