new to ss...bar ends?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    rocky iv style
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    178

    New question here. new to ss...bar ends?

    i'm just getting into ss after riding a geared fs which i preferred using bar ends to climb with. i've noticed a distinct lack of bar ends in the pics here and was just wondering if it is a weight thing, or if the tendency to run wider bars renders them useless, or if its just preference.

  2. #2
    formerly Giantxc
    Reputation: MrXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    649

    It's a preference.

    I've been running them on both my SS and gearie for quite a while. However, I might stop, not because I don't like them but because I keep stripping out the tiny screws on the Serfas Stablizers (Both AL and plastic), which I prefer, and I've heard the Singletrack Design version is just as bad.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    172
    Whatever works best for you go with it. Salsa makes some nice wide flat bars that you could use bar ends on. Then you have the best of both worlds. It's def. not a weight thing though.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18

    I do....

    I have two SS bikes and both have bar ends. It gives me more room. I can run a shorter stem for technical downhills and still be able to easily move my weight up front while climbing.

  5. #5
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    Whatever works best for you go with it. Salsa makes some nice wide flat bars that you could use bar ends on. Then you have the best of both worlds. It's def. not a weight thing though.
    I run the Salsa Pro Moto's with bar ends. Bar is EA70 aluminum at 26" and 180 grams. Bar ends are Titec shorties at 125 grams.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    59

    If you like the Serfas...

    If you like the Serfas Stablizers for the weight then you are out of luck, but I realy like the cane creek ergo bar ends. They have a better feel than the Serfas and are rock solid (and I think performance or nashbar is selling them for $25, 50% off)

    Mark


    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    I've been running them on both my SS and gearie for quite a while. However, I might stop, not because I don't like them but because I keep stripping out the tiny screws on the Serfas Stablizers (Both AL and plastic), which I prefer, and I've heard the Singletrack Design version is just as bad.

  7. #7
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,661

    Me, too

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    I run the Salsa Pro Moto's with bar ends. Bar is EA70 aluminum at 26" and 180 grams. Bar ends are Titec shorties at 125 grams.
    I love my Salsa Pro Moto 26" flat bars with bar ends. Personally I've used the long out of production aluminum Specialized Dirt Rodz bar ends (petite "L" bends) for like 15 years. They make climbing far more comfortable plus provide the same multiposition benefits that make roadies (and some off-roadies, eh shig & others?) appreciate drop bars. In addition, my Dirt Rodz protect my knuckles in the brush and tight trees.

    I may be wrong, but I believe that many riders eschew bar ends simply because using them with currently-in-vogue riser bars is considered a fashion faux pas by so many.

    At least that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  8. #8
    singlespeed smash brother
    Reputation: shwinboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    318
    I had barends on my 24" wide 1" riser and took them off just last week because they were the source of my hand cramps. (my hands were too cramped and needed that extra .25 of an inch) I liked em for climbing. I remember putting them on because of a 24 hr race with a 1hr lap and lots of fire road. Great for an extra position. I' thinking of going to flat bars and may put them back on.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,163
    I felt Barends were essential till I got 26" bars.. Then they weren't so essential. I still run a set on my gearie (With 26" bars) but just haven't gotten around to getting them for the SS. But then of course I am running them on the bike with the flat bar but not the two with the riser bars.. I guess I must be a closet fashion follower..or not... Whatever.. Run what you like..

  10. #10
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I love my Salsa Pro Moto 26" flat bars with bar ends. Personally I've used the long out of production aluminum Specialized Dirt Rodz bar ends (petite "L" bends) for like 15 years. They make climbing far more comfortable plus provide the same multiposition benefits that make roadies (and some off-roadies, eh shig & others?) appreciate drop bars. In addition, my Dirt Rodz protect my knuckles in the brush and tight trees.

    I may be wrong, but I believe that many riders eschew bar ends simply because using them with currently-in-vogue riser bars is considered a fashion faux pas by so many.

    At least that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

    --Sparty
    Those Dirt Rodz are very similiar to the Shorties. I remember those well. Not sure why Titec calls them Shorties, since that usually refers to something like stubbies.

  11. #11
    Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Reputation: Endomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,437

    Second the Cane Creeks

    I use the Cane Creek Ergo ends on my SS and love them. They arenít like other bar ends with the position anywhere from behind the bar, centered on the bar or in front. They feel so good in the hands. Itís a very similar feel to riding on the hoods to me. They are heavy but I donít care. I use them on a 25.5Ē wide TI bar. My geared bike has a 27Ē riser and I have no desire to use bar ends on that bike. Standing and pounding the bar end hand position feels so natural to me. Maybee its my inner roadie coming out. I would like to try some Jones H-bars though I think they may be the ultimate in that feel

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    50

    I use them

    I'm using some titec barends on a titec flat tracker bar right now. I do most of my non- technical climbing on the bar ends because it just feels natural. I wouldn't give my barends up for anything....except, about 2 weeks ago I ordered a set of Jones H-bars. I'll let you all know how I like them, but if they are as good as I think they are going to be...well, let's just say that I think I'll like them a lot. But I like wide bars with lots of sweep

  13. #13
    formerly Giantxc
    Reputation: MrXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    649
    I might give the cane creeks a try. I intially went with the Serfas because of the weight savings, but it seems like you can tighten them once, but if you loosen and re-tighten they strip out (both the AL and plastic versions). I also have a couple sets of standard, in front of the bar, bar ends, but I don't like them as much for hammering out of the saddle (rear end gets too loose and not as much control), but they get the job done for extra hand positioning on long seated climbs on my gearie.

    In any case, I'm planning on riding without any bar ends on my SS this Saturday and seeing if I miss them. If I do, they'll be back in some form.

  14. #14
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Mig, you won't like the Cane Creeks. Too heavy for weenies!

    Cane Creeks are definitely comfy, but they take up more room on the bar than the Serfas. About your Serfas, are you stripping the bolt heads or the bolts themselves? I took a pair I had on and off, constantly swapping them between bikes, and I never had that problem. However light and minimalist they were, I just didn't like the feel of them. So I took them off permanently and might have even trash-canned them.

    I like bar ends for really long rides/races. I prefer the old medium length Titec Mags. I always cut them at the bend because I liked a little "hook" at the end, plus I never used the farthest extension flat part. They're light, don't take up too much room on the bar, and have a neat rough paint finish.

    Finally, Mig, what happened to those stubby carbon barends you were sporting last season?
    Last edited by Drevil; 03-18-2004 at 09:11 AM.

  15. #15
    formerly Giantxc
    Reputation: MrXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    649
    In both cases the hex bolt (head and threading) is fine, but how it tightens into the bar end is weak. The AL model is threaded and the bolt screws into the frame of the bar end. This stripped in one bar end a few nights ago as I was adjusting its angle. The plastic model, uses the same bolt as in the AL but it screws into a hex nut (?) that goes in the opposite side of the frame. One of these also stripped out on me.

    Right now I have one functional AL version and another functional plastic model. I could run this mix matched set on the SS, it would just look goofy, and use a set of standard bar ends on the Voodoo. I may just go out and buy another set or two (one for the SS and another for the Voodoo) and use the mix matched set on my roadie/city bike. I haven't decided yet.


    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Mig, you won't like the Cane Creeks. Too heavy for weenies!

    Cane Creeks are definitely comfy, but they take up more room on the bar than the Serfas. About your Serfas, are you stripping the bolt heads or the bolts themselves? I took a pair I had on and off, constantly swapping them between bikes, and I never had that problem. However light and minimalist they were, I just didn't like the feel of them. So I took them off permanently and might have even trash-canned them.

    I like bar ends for really long rides/races. I prefer the old medium length Titec Mags. I always cut them at the bend because I liked a little "hook" at the end, plus I never used the farthest extension flat part. They're light, don't take up too much room on the bar, and have a neat rough paint finish.

  16. #16
    formerly Giantxc
    Reputation: MrXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    649
    Heck, just because of this thread, I'm probably going to wind up going to HTO during lunch and picking up a set! I just set the SS up sans bar ends last night and I already miss them!

  17. #17
    highly visible
    Reputation: GlowBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,179

    Bar ends essential for me

    To me the "regular" grip position on flat bars is unnatural for standing while climbing. Causes me wrist pain. More width doesn't help either. I've got to orient my hands front-and-back using bar ends or forget about it.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14

    Bar Ends

    I use bar ends on my 25" low rise bars.

    I like the hand position and I needed to get a little height on the bars as the frame is a little smaller than I would have gotten if it wasn't so darn cheap.

    People think it's wierd until they look at my back wheel and realize the gears are missing.
    Then they just so OHHHHH.....

  19. #19
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091

    Had my bike made for them..

    Quote Originally Posted by ShockStar
    i'm just getting into ss after riding a geared fs which i preferred using bar ends to climb with. i've noticed a distinct lack of bar ends in the pics here and was just wondering if it is a weight thing, or if the tendency to run wider bars renders them useless, or if its just preference.
    When Paul at Rocklobster made my bike he wanted to know if I would be using a riser or a flat bar with bar ends and made the bike and stem occordingly. I like the old Bonty Racelite 620 with a 5 deg bend. Of course they don't make it any more. The bar ends I use are a cut down version of the Bontrager ski Racelites.

    1G1G, Brad

Similar Threads

  1. Carbon bar width
    By MObiker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM
  2. 29er SS vs 26er SS - whataya think.....
    By Alta825 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 12:41 PM
  3. should i go ss and HOW?
    By steve0512 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
  4. Dimensions for handlebar in Blur
    By brutrak in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Carbon bar & bar ends.
    By minkhiller in forum Yeti
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 07:05 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.