new to ss- Mtbr.com

Thread: new to ss

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

new to ss

I sold my MTB so i could have gas money and a new bike so i am going for a single speed what is the best single speed bike for the buck? cant be over $500. i am 6'4 210 pounds if that helps..

Low Rep Count
    Well, this is a very opinionated question. But you can check out bikes direct and look at the motobecane outcast, or the Dawes deadeye. There are quite a few different bikes out there close to that price range that are all great starting points. You can usually find a GT Peace for around that price range. Have a look on ebay as well. Around that price range, unless it is used (and built up by someone already), they will all have fairly comperable parts on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i am thinking about converting a bike i have to singlespeed with spacers and a chain tinioner

Low Rep Count
    That is simple enough. Buy the Surly Singulator and a nice cog (Home Brewed, King...) and you should be good to go. Definitely the cheaper way and will allow you to experience it without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i have trek 820 and rockhopper what one is the best to do?

Apr 2007
    Word of caution when ordering online---if you mess up on sizing, or if you have warranty issues, the shipping fees are paid by you (both ways). I'm getting $60-80 on the average quotes from FedEx and UPS (for one way). So you can save $100 by going with mail order, but on the flip side, with the first issue, you can be underwater on shipping fees alone. I'd go with your local bike shop(s).

If you're going to convert the bike you've already got, why not---do it (thought you sold your bike, though). If you want a bike for $500, check out Redline Monocog, GT Peace, SE Stout from your local dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by knoxuni
    i have trek 820 and rockhopper what one is the best to do?
    http://www.flip-coin.com/

SSOD
    knoxuni either will work fine if you use a chain tensioner. I would chose the frame you like the most because which ever one you don't convert, will more than likely never get ridden again, unless you convert it too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I love single speeds because i ride MUni (mountain unicycle) so i dont now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew
    knoxuni either will work fine if you use a chain tensioner. I would chose the frame you like the most because which ever one you don't convert, will more than likely never get ridden again, unless you convert it too!
    +1, this happened to me. Converted over my bike to SS, then had to do my old bike too but put a rigid fork on it. Now I am building my first SS only bike (SS frame and SS rear wheel). Have a box full of my old XTR gear stuff. Never looked back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ok i am deff going to ss now!!

Members who have read this thread: 0