New Specialized SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New Specialized SS

I know that some others have asked this question, but I recently purchased an 04 Hardrock SS and would like to know why everyone out there seems to be having problems with it. I have not had the chance to ride mine on the trail--just got it 2 days ago--and I am wondering if I have made a mistake (are there: tensioner problems, crank problems, BB, etc). Maybe I am too big of a worrier. I would call my riding about average, and definitely not a hardcore jumper. It seems like alot of bike for the mula. Comments?

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeck
    I know that some others have asked this question, but I recently purchased an 04 Hardrock SS and would like to know why everyone out there seems to be having problems with it. I have not had the chance to ride mine on the trail--just got it 2 days ago--and I am wondering if I have made a mistake (are there: tensioner problems, crank problems, BB, etc). Maybe I am too big of a worrier. I would call my riding about average, and definitely not a hardcore jumper. It seems like alot of bike for the mula. Comments?
    If you enjoy the bike and it makes you want to ride, don't worry about what people who don't own it have to say about it. Just turn the pedals and have fun. Specialized does a good job at building value into most of their bikes. Alot of the problems that I have seen on the boards can be attributed to poor setup and not the bike itself.

The SS purists don't seem to like it largely because it is a regular gearie frame with a tensioner coming from a major manufacturer.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Not Worried About Image At All

Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    If you enjoy the bike and it makes you want to ride, don't worry about what people who don't own it have to say about it. Just turn the pedals and have fun. Specialized does a good job at building value into most of their bikes. Alot of the problems that I have seen on the boards can be attributed to poor setup and not the bike itself.

The SS purists don't seem to like it largely because it is a regular gearie frame with a tensioner coming from a major manufacturer.
    I don't care at all about what they think...I could buy any bike I like... I was just wondering about any technical problems anyone knew about it because I am brand new to the SS game.