new to singlespeed- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302

    new to singlespeed

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_200450

    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/210...elset-2010.htm


    please help me with what i need for a new singlespeed build
    theses are the frame and wheels i have coming

    i have and XT crank im going to use for now....with out getting all technical can you give a list of what i still need.
    i dont have a rear cog yet.

    thanks
    Last edited by jrafter; 12-16-2010 at 04:06 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RSW42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,164
    Welcome!


    It'll change your life!



    .




    .

  3. #3
    Dive Bomber
    Reputation: jackspade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    770
    Welcome!

    You can get singlespeed converter items which include tensioner and cogs.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,025
    do you have a SS specific chainring for that crank? that will work a lot better than a ramped ring.

    you will also need a chain tensioning device unless you happen to land on a magic gear. look up "magic gear" in the FAQ section if that mystifies you. I tried the Surly Singlator but the spring stretched and died rather quickly. i just built a new SS road bike and I like the DMR tensioner that I put on it a lot more. no springs to fool around with.

    you don't need freehub spacers since that is a SS specific wheel, but you need a cog. cheap steel cogs work fine, but if you want a nice one, get a Surly. I suggest you get a couple of cheap steel cogs to figure out which size you want, then spend the money on a nice cog/cogs.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    do you have a SS specific chainring for that crank? that will work a lot better than a ramped ring.

    you will also need a chain tensioning device unless you happen to land on a magic gear. look up "magic gear" in the FAQ section if that mystifies you. I tried the Surly Singlator but the spring stretched and died rather quickly. i just built a new SS road bike and I like the DMR tensioner that I put on it a lot more. no springs to fool around with.

    you don't need freehub spacers since that is a SS specific wheel, but you need a cog. cheap steel cogs work fine, but if you want a nice one, get a Surly. I suggest you get a couple of cheap steel cogs to figure out which size you want, then spend the money on a nice cog/cogs.

    this is the info im looking for thank you........ok so the xt crank will work if i change the ring to singlespeed one?

    will i need some type of bash ring on the crank to keep the chain on and will i need a singlespeed chain

    im looking a the tensions from yess

    yea im not sure of what cogs to get for the rear

    thank you

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302
    what do you think of this tensioner

    http://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-v

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,100
    Why didn't you just get a SS specific frame to start with???

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    83
    Looks cool but expensive! I've used the Gusset Bachelor Tensioner, it's under $20 (outsideoufitters.com) pretty cool...its all black at least..and there's no springs to stretch or break. Maybe worth lookin at?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    83
    Seabass has a point, for the cost of the frame you ordered + the blinged out tensioner you were looking at = a SS specific Motobecane frame from Bike Island with sliding dropouts and free shipping

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302
    i just found all this at price point

    Vuelta Single Ring Chainring Bolt Set
    24049 Blackspire Mono Veloce Single Speed Chainring
    Blackspire Lite God
    56029 DMR STS Tension Seeker Single Speed Tensioner
    Sram PC-1 Single Speed Chain 2011
    Gusset Steel Cog

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,100
    Motobecane Outcast 29er SS rigid complete = $349 shipped.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinbunyon
    Seabass has a point, for the cost of the frame you ordered + the blinged out tensioner you were looking at = a SS specific Motobecane frame from Bike Island with sliding dropouts and free shipping

    yes but i didnt know if i would like a singlespeed so just ordered the nashbar frame.....and can always order another frame.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by jrafter
    yes but i didnt know if i would like a singlespeed so just ordered the nashbar frame.....and can always order another frame.
    $400 wheelset and you're not sure? You would've been better off buying a complete SS bike with a EBB you could change to geared if you changed your mind. I'm not being negative, it's your dime, bro. I converted an old Rockhopper to SS to see if I liked it this past spring and quickly got hooked. I just put a 34t SS chainring on, used an old front derailleur as a chain guide and scored a used Mavic SS wheelset with a spot rear hub for $130. ACS freewheel for the rear, and I was set. The old frame had semi horizontal rear dropouts so I didn't need a tensioner. Now that I got sucked in, I'm building a SIR9 over the winter and spending my money on something I'm sure i'm going to use.
    Anyhow, good luck! SS really changed my life!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    302
    well if i end up with enough parts i can just build 2 bikes.

    its only money and being a contractor overseas moneys easy........and getting a whole bike here isnt easy.

    anyways it gives me something to do.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnbikerfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    224
    You guys need to check out Yess Tensioners

    I ran one on my trials bike, and I swear by them for SS conversions
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.