New to Single Speeds- Mtbr.com
    Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004

New to Single Speeds

Okay so I just bought a Redline Monocog, that deal off the front page here where you get the frame, fork and wheels for $199. I've never done this single speed thing before and have alot of questions. I'm going with Avid V-brakes for braking that is about all I know right now. What type of cranks should I use? Can I just convert regular cranks? Can I convert regular cranks to single speed duty? What should I use for a chain? What gearing should I have? I live in fairly flat area (the prairies) but we have a river valley running through the centre of town so there is plenty of technical trails along the river. I've heard that a longer handlebar is a good thing, for leverage on the hills, is this true? I'm currently pimping out a Trek hardtail for my new race bike, so funds are limited, but I want fairly good parts on this bike, anyone know of some good online stores that cater to single speeders? Also what type of tires should I run, I'm thinking nice wide ones to make the ride a little better and hook up good, but maybe I'm wrong. Thinking of Kenda Kentics maybe. Thanks for any help, this forum is awesome for mountain bikers, I'm usually on the Bicycling.com forum, but it is mostly for roadies.

blame me for missed rides
    most of your questions are answered in the FAQ, which is on the upper right.

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    Thanks, I guess I should look around, totally missed that

KRN
    mtbr member

Cool!

I just bought a Redline but I bought the complete bike whats cool id for 04 it has tabs for Dics brakes its a little heavy being a steel bike though... .The dealer I bought it from bulit one one for himself,& he got his weight down to I belive he said 23 Lbs not to shabby for a steel bike I'm going with Raceface cranks when I start to lighten it up not to sure about the rest of it right now Keep in touch Its nice to find another person who had a Redline too!

KRN
    mtbr member

P.s

the tires I run are stock they are Kenda Karma's they seem to have good bite for now they are 26x1 I plan to run Kenda/IMBA klawxt's or Kenda kinnetic's not usre just yet thoughon & right now I run A manitouu SX fork with 3 inces of travel any more travel on this frame would change the handeling of it.

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    I was thinking about Kenda Kenitics because that is what I have on my dirt jumper and they really hook up on most surfaces. Right now I'm scanning Ebay for some single speed cranks for it, I already have a stem, headset, and I'm bidding on brakes and brake levers for it. I want to find a nice wide riser bar for it too. Maybe a lighter stem as well. How do you find the Redline hubs hold up? I've heard that they aren't too good, but I like working on my bikes so I will probably grease them regularly. Or I might find a cartridge bearing BMX hubset and cut those ones out and relace some better ones in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU
    Okay so I just bought a Redline Monocog, that deal off the front page here where you get the frame, fork and wheels for $199. I've never done this single speed thing before and have alot of questions....(snip)...currently pimping out a Trek hardtail for my new race bike, so funds are limited, but I want fairly good parts on this bike, anyone know of some good online stores that cater to single speeders?

You can use any crank that you have. You will have to put the ring either in the middle or outside position. As far as bars, you can use anything. I use a raceface riser (28"). It is nice but not necessary. Tires : Again use what you have if not, bigger is better. I run a 2.4 WTB MutanoRaptor up front and 2.1 Specialized (something) in the rear.

Most important: Don't pimp anything until you start riding the redline. You won't care about the Trek Hartail race bike. Save the money for a pimped out SS and race that.

GP

mtbr member

qtip

I know it's been said just above this post, but I think it's worth repeating....don't pimp out your Trek. I went through the same thing way back when I started ss'ing....spent all my money pimping out a Homegrown for racing and took all my extra parts and built a ss. The Homegrown might have seen a few days of riding after that, and only one race...the ss got all the love and I wished I had spent the money on a sweet ss.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU
    I was thinking about Kenda Kenitics because that is what I have on my dirt jumper .
    big second on the Kinetics. I run the 2.35's and have found them to hook up great, and last forever. Cheap too and the weight is reasonable for a large tire.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

blame me for missed rides
    just make sure kinetics 2.35's fit the monocog. you might need to put the hub all they way at the end of the horizontal dropout to get it in.

KRN
    mtbr member

my hubs...

so far my Redline hubs are great I really havent had the chance to catgh some good air,nothing more then 5 feet high anyways I loved Redline bikes as a kid they were they best you could ride as far as BMX goes I'm sure that there still tough bikes just heavy but that can be fixed..got to go ride now see ya!

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    No! I already bought all my pimp up parts I'm sure I'll love singlespeeding, but I have 3 other bikes that I love to ride too so I will hopefully split the time. Also my brother is moving in and paying half my rent, so you know what that means? More money for bike parts of course. Then there is my income tax return When I get my Trek finished I will post a pic, it's not a single speed but you guys will probably like it anyway. I went with a 8 spd drive train cause I think 9 is kind of stupid, 8 shifts better and is more durable, also I went with as much non-shimano parts as possible, only the BB and hubs are shimano and that is because I got a killer deal on them. I did use disc brakes but only because I already had them, I've lightened them up with all Ti hardware though, and I'm trying to replace every fastner on the bike with either Ti or aerospace aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Trek 7000 also that I used to ride all the time. It has a Marzocchi on it and a good spec throughout. I have upgraded over the past 4 years as things wore out. I also have a road bike. Neither of these bikes was as much fun as the $10 steel frame Marin SS I built up. I rode that for a while and then got a SISS. Even with that old steel frame the bike felt so light with the rigid fork. I have more fun riding my SISS than anything. I never thought of racing a MTB but I am really thinking of it with the SISS. It just feels so smooth.

I will never buy another aluminum bicycle. That is one thing that I learned through this experience. I really wish the bb threads weren't gaffed up on my Bridgestone. That was my first attempt but after getting the bb out the shell wasn't threaded on the same plane on both sides (not concentric).

Have fun, you will
    GP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    I have a Trek 7000 also that I used to ride all the time. It has a Marzocchi on it and a good spec throughout. I have upgraded over the past 4 years as things wore out. I also have a road bike. Neither of these bikes was as much fun as the $10 steel frame Marin SS I built up. I rode that for a while and then got a SISS. Even with that old steel frame the bike felt so light with the rigid fork. I have more fun riding my SISS than anything. I never thought of racing a MTB but I am really thinking of it with the SISS. It just feels so smooth.

I will never buy another aluminum bicycle. That is one thing that I learned through this experience. I really wish the bb threads weren't gaffed up on my Bridgestone. That was my first attempt but after getting the bb out the shell wasn't threaded on the same plane on both sides (not concentric).

Have fun, you will
    GP
    Just send that Bridgestone to Spicer and have him put an EBB on it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's only an MB-6. I don't think it is worth it.

GP