new to single speed help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

new to single speed help

I have a On One 456 that I want to go to single speed, like I said i am new but like the idea of simplicity. I have Azonic outlaw wheels that I will be using.

1st. question, what is a good conversion kit to use
    2nd, anybody ever use a Blackspire front tensioner instead of a rear tensioner or is it a bad idea
    3rd., I am using outlaw wheels will they work.
    thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Any wheelset should work for SSing. If the rear wheel has a freehub body on it (for a cassette) then you'll need a cog and spacers. A SS conversion kit shouldn't cost you more than $30.

I'm not a fan of any tensioner (I think they look ugly but that's just me) but they work great. A tensioner that pushes up on the chain is the one you want.

If you have a greared frame then you will need to find the magic gear ratio for your bike. Google "FixMeUp" java applet. You put in your chainstay length and the geared ranges you want and it will show all the magic gear ratios.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    If the wheels you are using are meant to use a 9-10 speed cassette you should be fine. The Surly conversion kit works well. I've seen that style of tensioner work I doubt it's ideal, but if there's only a little slack it may work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I used a Surly hub spacer kit when switching cogs. The Surly spacer kit has a decent set of different width spacers to help you fine tune your chain line.

mtbr member
    I just recently converted. I used the Wheels Manufacturing conversion kit. I did try to use my Black Spire Stinger but it wouldn't work. First it didn't provide anywhere close to enough tension. Second, the alignment of the roller did not work with my chainline. The ramped roller didn't help either. I ended up using a Gusset Bachelor fixed tensioner. It works good.

Sent using my fat thumbs!

Members who have read this thread: 0