new single speed build advice- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Nov 2007

... and if we just ... new single speed build advice

I ride 29ers (not that it matters) here my question,I own a fisher paragon.Last week I pulled all the del. bought a cheap'o nashbar chain tensioner,and cass. spacers.Put it together and hit my local short track for a ride, really dug the single speed set up.
    Heres where I need advice,the set up felt fine to me,then I hit the net and read some negitive views on this make shift set up.Everything from people snaping the tensioners to detroying the cass bodies.ect .ect.
    I'd like to get this right now and log in care free miles come the spring.Shoud I just spring for a fisher rig and just go for an out of the box single speed or stay with this set up and save the $$$
    pass on what ever advice you can...thx

mtbr member
    You said it was fine until you started reading. Okay, quit reading and go back to riding...

They tell me my steel frame will crack. Hasn't. I don't worry 'bout it no more.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

meh... whatever
    lace up an eno rear wheel for it and ditch the tensioner
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

first off it is "if a six was a nine I don't mind"

Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    I ride 29ers (not that it matters) here my question,I own a fisher paragon.Last week I pulled all the del. bought a cheap'o nashbar chain tensioner,and cass. spacers.Put it together and hit my local short track for a ride, really dug the single speed set up.
    Heres where I need advice,the set up felt fine to me,then I hit the net and read some negitive views on this make shift set up.Everything from people snaping the tensioners to detroying the cass bodies.ect .ect.
    I'd like to get this right now and log in care free miles come the spring.Shoud I just spring for a fisher rig and just go for an out of the box single speed or stay with this set up and save the $$$
    pass on what ever advice you can...thx
    "now if the hippies cut off all their hair...I don't care....I don't care"

And I feel the same way about your question. Ride what you have. The only provisio...do not use a fixed set up with a chain tensioner...that don't work. no no no...noway. Tensioners work fine. It is the ham hands who abuse them (ie, extend them beyond their physical limits) who are bummed by them. Otherwise, have fun with it. Also, modern tensioners are not meant to be use with 1/8" chains, it works but not as crisp as a 3/32" set up.

VTW

currently in hiding

just ride it

If you want to avoid destroying your cassette body, shell out for a slightly wider single speed cog, like a "kickass" the thin steel ones will gouge your freehub, especially if it's aluminum. I rode with a singleator for a while and had no troubles, I have heard horror stories from people that aren't particularly ham handed about the chain not having quite enough tension. As long as you are a rider with a nominal amount of finesse you should be fine.

banned
    Nov 2007
    vtw...your o.k.,its been along time,so i kinds just blew the line from the song...how bout
    I know the 26ers will soon drop and die,but until then I'll raise my 29er flag high

mtbr member
    I'd agree with what most folks have said ... ride until it doesn't work. The ENO is a nice upgrade - but there are better (or worse) tensioners that can also serve as upgrades. Yeah, the word about a SS cog is spot on... go w/ one of those and you'll get more miles. I'd just say that if you're goign to do some longer - more remote rides where getting stranded w/ a mechanical - you bring some extra parts (chain tool, extra links, etc...) but keep ridin' what is workin'

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Mtbr
    Which Rig would you be buying. I would say go with the new 2008 Rig, or if you don't like G2 or the Hydroformed frame or the Fox, you could get a close out 2007. I just think a SS dedicated bike would be better. BTW the new Rig has cable stops for running gears if you so choose.
    2008 Rig

poser Administrator
    I have been riding a tensioner for years now, round about 6 of them, years that is, same tensioner.

If you are hefty and have an aluminum freehub body like on a hope hub then consider a thicker cog like endless or the surly ones (the cassette take off cog will gouge the aluminum sometimes quite severely). If you are running a steel bodied freehub you should be fine with a cassette cog.

That said it is worth upgrading to a SS specific rear cog, Al freehub or not, when you get your ratios all sorted out. I really like my 20t surly one on my El Mariachi.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Well, 29ERCAT, I also have gear lush! I have been riding a Performance Forte single speed kit for over a year now. Except for some stupid setup mistakes that I have made, it has worked perfectly fine. Sure, I would love a nice dedicated single speed bike, but I doubt it would make my riding any better or more fun. Just ride it until it breaks or something leaps out at you as a must have (and only then if you can afford it ).
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

Members who have read this thread: 0