New on a single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New on a single speed

I just got a Gary Fisher Rig single speed, and I love the way it handles. This is my first single speed bike, and I just wish that I can take the bike to the local trails. I don't think a single speed were made for the mountain trails. I think a single speed is more for urban riding .

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Is that a joke or something? Nearly everyone on this forum rides their singlespeeds in the mountains. A rig is way more at home on a trail than it is on the road.

Sweep the leg!
    Forgive the noob, he's from LA. Trails for him must be half a day's commute away. Not everyone has trails out their door like us.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The trails where I go. You have to go down like 3000 feet the you have to go up, and when you ride almost 3000 feet going up you need more than a single speed.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by begeta50
    ...and when you ride almost 3000 feet going up you need more than a single speed.
    it has been done before, lots of times, on a SS.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

never ender
    The trails where I go. You have to go down like 3000 feet the you have to go up, and when you ride almost 3000 feet going up you need more than a single speed.
    Lots of great places to ride SS in the Santa Monica Mountains. The Santa Ana River trail seems like it would be a good SS ride too.

mtbr member

can be done

Two weeks ago I rode in an grassroots-type race/ride in S AZ. 34 Miles with greater than 5K feet of climbing. 4 of the top 7 finishers were sportin the SS including 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
    So yeah it can be done. But are you willing to do it?
    5 days after that race I had my SS finally built and the motivation to get out on it. It ain't easy but I ain't lookin for easy (lookin' for flow, simplicity, and technique).
    Happy hilly trails
    Cheers,
    MK

mtbr member
    and when you ride almost 3000 feet going up you need more than a single speed.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

banned
    27 gears yea, but I'm riding not walking. I like to ride mountain bikes not walk them. If your blog page reads....I like long walks up steep hills beside my mtn. bike..........
    then you like single speeds. Me....I like to ride !

skillz to pay billz
    As a new convert, I've been very surprised what you can ride up when you stand up and crank.

I readied myself by riding in the middle ring most of the time for the last two years though.

Not really a true convert as I still have my 2x9 trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If your the kind of rider that spins granny gear on the hills, you won't like SS riding at all. I have friends that run the little ring on most climbs, I think this is a left over habit from when they started riding. When I ride my SS the mind set seems to be more of a 'I can do it, or hurt like hell trying'. It will take a bit of conditioning to get your mind and legs wrapped around SS riding. You can change the gearing to suit your riding areas, it is a matter of finding the right mix of flat speed and climbing ability. I try to set my gearing so I can ride about 90% of the trails, no use in giving up a couple MPH on the flats to just be able to make the one or two steep sections.

Not sure about the older Rigs, but my 2008 has the changeable hanger and cable stops to allow gears to be added. The stock hub on the rig will hold 3 gears from what I hear.

singletrack bound
    Give it some time.....You will be suprised at what you can do on the SS for sure.
    As other posters have said in this thread.
    It can be done!

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    What he said.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You Sir are correct. You need more than a single speed - you need the legs to put the machine in motion. You will probably be much more comfortable on a geary bike - or a stationary bike...

Members who have read this thread: 0