New Ride- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Ride

Low Rep Count

New Ride

Ok, so I have been into riding since about 85. I have raced road bikes for over 16 years and made it up to cat 3 before just falling off the map (had kids....) but have always had a mtb to play around on. Last year I converted my mtb to ss. Nothing special, just the cheesey Perf conversion kit to see if I liked it. The answer was yes but knew that I would need to build another bike all together. Today it happened. I parted out a bmx bike a few weeks ago and decided to pick up a cheap ss. I picked up a GT Peace. Once again, nothing special. But I took my old Psylo, Thompson stem, Easton carbon straight bar, Panaracer tires, Thud Buster post and my anchient Bontrager (tapered cut rear end of seat), Yeti grips, King hs, and Frog pedals and stuck them all on the new ride.

Go figure, it started raining! So no real ride today but the bike is ready to go. Now here is my question. What are my options for rear hubs? I know I can pretty much get whatever I want for the front but the rear being a ss sort of requires a standard nut/bolt set up. I would love to build up a wheel around a King or Hope rear hub but haven't seen one made for a ss.

So what are my options for a highend rear wheel? Not stressed about picking a rim but the hub has me somewhat stumped. Oh, I sort of want something loud! I want people to think I am chasing them with a chainsaw!!

Plans for the rest of the bike will include more upgrades down the road to include, crank, brakes, levers, wheels f/r, new shock (Fox???). The goal will be to swap out the shock so i can put the old psylo back on my xc set up but tear it apart and build it up on a smaller frame for my wife! Funny her first bike will be full xtr! Wish it worked that way for me!

Low Rep Count
    oh, pics and links would be great!

mtbr member

Low Rep Count
    Yeah, baby! That is what I am talking about! I had a King set up on my xc years ago and should have never parted ways with it.

So, seeing that vid tells me that I can obviously pick up a King hub with standard bolts and not a qr! Awesome.

I know my new ride is not the greatest but it will do for this year. My goal is to get all these other parts swaped out and then pick up a new high end ss frame next winter!

Right now, I am just stoked about finally working on building this thing. Nothing like an adult size bmx bike!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker
    more like a plane taking off and landing
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

nothing to see here
    or this from illnacord...

White Industries Trials freewheel on a White Industries Eno SS Hub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWxFEN1b6k
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Low Rep Count
    I thought about doing the WI Trials freewheel but part of me just wants to build a really slamming wheel set and I guess I am just partial to King's since I had them before. Not that I want to spend the money mind you! I mean, if I go this route, my wheels are going to cost more than I spent on the bike!! Oh but how sweet they will be.

Apr 2007
    Did you get the 2010 Peace 9r? I like that they went with the track ends instead of EBB. Seems like you've got a lot of bling parts going on this bike.

Low Rep Count
    Nope, just did the 26r. I rode a 29 last year and it just felt too big for me. I like how it goes over everything but simply feel more comfy on my standard set up.

Yea, I have a few bling parts from my old xc that I had built up while working at a shop years ago. I was always into road bikes but since I have been doing that lately, I have been dieing to build up an ss. All of a sudden the passion is back. So I figure I will dump some money into it with some nice wheels and brakes, eventually some sort of sweet crank, maybe something carbon. I will probably become quite the weight weany as time goes on and I start getting more parts. Wheels and brakes are the priority though. At least a rear wheel anyway! I will more than likely swap out the shock as well and use the current Rock Shox Psylo (quite old) on a build for my wife. That is my excuse for buying a new Fox one anyway.

mtbr member
    Stevob: nice!

1SPD: I hear you on the slammin'. It's subjective to each person's tastes. Throw a WI Trials on any number of quality SS rear hubs, you may be more slammin' than even a tried and proven CK hub.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Low Rep Count
    As I mentioned, I thought about complete WI setup. A friend of mine opened a shop recently and he builds custom wheels base around WI hubs (mainly road ones) but this is the guy that will be building my wheels regardless. I guess I am also looking to do a black red set up as well. Red hubs, black Sapin spokes, red nips, black rim. But I could always save that bling for the front and just run a polished rear w/ red nip on a silver rim (if I can find one) I don't know yet, need to stop dreaming and get more money back in the play account first!

Low Rep Count
    Ok, so here it is. Once again nothing special. Right now it has my USD thudbuster on it but it will eventually end up with a Thompson straight post. I just can't seem to remember where the hell I put it.

Members who have read this thread: 0