New rear wheel- Mtbr.com

Thread: New rear wheel

mtbr member

New rear wheel

Hi,
    Yesterday i got hit from behind by a car and trashed my rear wheel. It was a standard mtb wheel with spacers on the free hub.
    Should i get a specific hub for my singlespeed set up, or should i just get another standard wheel.
    What are the advantages of a specific rim like the pro 2 evo, they all seem quite heavy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I purchased a non-SS specific Chris King hub so I could utilize it for both SS and geared, if I ever wanted to change it in the future (the year 2000?).

mtbr member
    I like the Hope trials/singlespeed hub with the stainless free hub body. I don't think you could go wrong building a wheel onto one of those.
    One advantage is faster engagement than most hubs, which may or may not matter to you - it does to me....

mtbr member
    What standard is your current bike? Because I'm not sure who, if anyone at this moment is offering a SS hub in the newer 142 x 12 standard and far as I know, the ones that are out currently are not convertible. I believe Chris King is coming out with a new SS hub for 142 x 12 and I'm sure Hope will to as will other companies.

In the mean time, if you even think there's a slight chance you'll ever go geared or need/want to switch that wheel over to a geared bike, you may want a standard hub with spacers. No loss of performance...just doesn't look as cool as a SS hub. I had a SS Chris King on my old bike and the bike before and after are Hopes with spacers. No difference in performance other than the higher POE of the CK hub but the new Hope Pro 2 EVO with 40 POE is plenty and I don't notice any loss of engagement.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    My singlespeeder is my old xc racing bike (26er), just use it now for training, and easy rides. Looking at the american classic singlespeed specific hub, maybe with a crest rim.
    I don't i'll convert it back to gears.