The "New" Post Your Singlespeed! - Page 35- Mtbr.com
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
Results 6,801 to 6,920 of 6920
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdwebber View Post
    I finally updated from a 2011 XL Karate Monkey to a 2018 XL Honzo.

180mm XT cranks, 180F/160R XT brakes, XT pedals
    32T OneUp oval chainring, 22T Surly Cog
    Stan's Arch Wheeleset
    2018 Pike RCT3 120mm
    Salsa Rustler Deluxe Bar 800mm
    Race Face Turbine 60mm stem
    2.4 Ardents front and rear

29-ish pounds as pictured

I wish I could get it out to ride, but the smoke from the NorCal wildfires is too thick, so I'll have to wait. I'll need to shorten the brake lines too, I think. And maybe fuss with the gearing/chain length.

As far as weight is concerned, this bike definitely weighs more than my old KM, but it seems like all of the weight gain is in the frame, whereas the new parts weigh considerably less than the ones on my old rig.
    I've been thinking about this category of new school MTB single speeds. The final build weight of these bikes does end up to be quite beefy, if they are steel, or even titanium. The big travel fork and the plus tires contribute significant mass as well.

Of course, the capability of these bikes has got to be worth it!

I'm going to to sit it out for a while and envision a single speed-able 27.5+ carbon boost hardtail manifesting in the future.

Meantime, I'd love to hear more about what I'm missing out on, not riding a plus size SS hardtail. Pics and words please!

I have a geared Stumpjumper plus bike which gets me down the rowdier trails for the time being. I'm a plus tire convert. My 6Fattie weighs about the same as a Honzo.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Isn't that a describing a Salsa Woodsmoke? Not that I can wrap my head around the significantly elevated driveside chainstay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    First SS MTB for me. First build from frame for me too. The build process was fun. Riding is a blast. 32x20 for now.

What surprises me about SS riding is you're always going fast. Uphill fast, downhill fast, technical fast. Whenever pedaling, you're going fast. (Long flat sections is not fast, but who cares.) I'm used to a lower gear for uphill or technical terrain. Now, I need much more awareness and faster response. No time to think.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_2826.jpg

Downcountry AF
    ^ Sweet! Momentum is your friend.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmrfstar View Post
    What surprises me about SS riding is you're always going fast. Uphill fast, downhill fast, technical fast. Whenever pedaling, you're going fast. (Long flat sections is not fast, but who cares.)
    now try riding with some gearies in front of you. they shift down and spin slowly up every hill. you have to get in front of them to maintain your momentum and you usually get to the top first. when you don't, you stall out and often have to walk, causing a traffic jam behind you. so once you get in front of gearies, the pressure is on to prove that you're not just showing off.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I got out for my first ride on the new Honzo yesterday. Wow, different game from a KM.

First, I've got to say, I'd probably be fine still riding a more old-fashioned XC geo SS if I could find one that fit me. My old XL KM had a 120mm stem with 800mm bar just to give me enough room for standing climbing. I didn't really mind the older-school fork setup (straight steeerer, 32mm stanchion, 100mm travel), although at times, I would flex the front end a bit. But things could get dicey on descents, and I wanted a bike that I could ride pretty much everywhere I'd ride a geared machine. If I could have found a bike with the Honzo's reach (510mm), but at the KM's weight (about 25-26 lbs complete), I'd have bought it. But without investing in custom, I didn't see any options.

That being said, the Honzo climbed just as a well as the KM did, I think. In fact, the rearward distribution of weight helped me not lose traction as often as I used to when climbing. And on the way down, I felt less harried by a shorter wheelbase, steeper headtube angle, and the twitchy steering created by the long stem. So, I'll take the weight of the frame since the remaining parts weigh a little less than the old ones did on the KM.

One thing I've got to figure out, though, is the Pike's air pressures. I ran mine at the recommended settings (100psi, -8 clicks of rebound, 4 tokens). Whew. Way too firm. After reading around online, it sounds like in past years, many riders were running their Pikes well below the recommended psi levels for their weights. My friend, about my weight (170lbs), runs his at 50psi! But he's not SS-ing, so I'll experiment. All told, I felt like I would have needed to be smashing at twice my speed to use the fork well with 100psi in it.

Anyway, after one ride, I'll say that I'm excited to get the hang of the new rig. I love the low standover and the fact that I'm not all stooped over to get adequate reach for standing climbing. And, I love the stability I felt at speed. The grinding up climbs? Not that bad. Not light, but helped by the traction and the lighter wheels and such. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey all. New singlespeeder here. I built up a Canfield Nimble 9 with used, leftover, and PinkBike parts to keep costs down while I decide how deep I want to dive in this game.

The bits:
    FRAME: 2018 Canfield Nimble 9 (XL)
    FORK: RockShox Lyrik RC Charger 2 DebonAir
    CRANKS: SRAM X9
    CHAINRING: 28t SRAM Steel (edited - original post had a typo and said 26t)
    B/B: SRAM GXP
    PEDALS: Ancient Shimano SPDs
    CHAIN: KMC X-10
    COG: Surly 21t steel
    BRAKES: Shimano XT
    BRAKE ROTORS: Shimano RT-18 (180mm)
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 40 Series
    HANDLEBAR: Raceface Aluminum 35mm
    STEM: Raceface 50mm
    SEATPOST: Rock Shox Reverb w/ Fox 1x Remote Lever
    GRIPS: Sant Cruz Palmdale
    SADDLE: Specialized Body Geometry
    HUBS: Shimano XT
    SPOKES: Yep
    RIMS: Old Stan's Flow (23mm internal?)
    TIRES: WTB Nine Line 29x2.25

Since MTBR doesn't like my photo upload attempts, here are some Imgur links:
    https://imgur.com/jlWqHap
    https://imgur.com/drPMlN4
    Last edited by ThatNateDude; 08-16-2018 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNateDude View Post
    Hey all. New singlespeeder here. I built up a Canfield Nimble 9 with used, leftover, and PinkBike parts to keep costs down while I decide how deep I want to dive in this game.

The bits:
    FRAME: 2018 Canfield Nimble 9 (XL)
    FORK: RockShox Lyrik RC Charger 2 DebonAir
    CRANKS: SRAM X9
    CHAINRING: 26t SRAM Steel
    B/B: SRAM GXP
    PEDALS: Ancient Shimano SPDs
    CHAIN: KMC X-10
    COG: Surly 21t steel
    BRAKES: Shimano XT (
    BRAKE ROTORS: Shimano RT-18 (180mm)
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 40 Series
    HANDLEBAR: Raceface Aluminum 35mm
    STEM: Raceface 50mm
    SEATPOST: Rock Shox Reverb w/ Fox 1x Remote Lever
    GRIPS: Sant Cruz Palmdale
    SADDLE: Specialized Body Geometry
    HUBS: Shimano XT
    SPOKES: Yep
    RIMS: Old Stan's Flow (23mm internal?)
    TIRES: WTB Nine Line 29x2.25

Since MTBR doesn't like my photo upload attempts, here are some Imgur links:
    https://imgur.com/jlWqHap
    https://imgur.com/drPMlN4
    Looks pretty solid, tho that 26t will be very spinny 32t next time
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    It's steep where I live. I'll probably go to a taller gear at some point but I need more time on it before I do. It would also help if the bike was lighter (it's just over 28#) and had a fork that locked out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Turns out that's a typo - it's a 28t.

mtbr member
    It's steep where I live. I'll probably go to a taller gear at some point but I need more time on it before I do. It would also help if the bike was lighter (it's just over 28#) and had a fork that locked out.
    Looked like Cali in the pics, gets steep here in SoCal San Diego also but I think you'll be surprised at what yoi can do, its mostly a brain adjustment. I'm 60 and a clyde started on 32/22 my ROS9s are both 30#+
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Looked like Cali in the pics, gets steep here in SoCal San Diego also but I think you'll be surprised at what yoi can do, its mostly a brain adjustment. I'm 60 and a clyde started on 32/22 my ROS9s are both 30#+
    That's encouraging! I could picture a 20t cog in the not-too distant future, maybe 19t later on if I'm still enjoying it. One small issue on this frame is that I'd have to find a reduced (increased?) offset chainring to be able to go any bigger - the current 28t clears the chainstay yoke by about 3mm.

mtbr member
    That's encouraging! I could picture a 20t cog in the not-too distant future, maybe 19t later on if I'm still enjoying it. One small issue on this frame is that I'd have to find a reduced (increased?) offset chainring to be able to go any bigger - the current 28t clears the chainstay yoke by about 3mm.
    I had an issue on the ROS9+ 32t would touch the yoke under extreme torque went down to a 30t but the chain was still only 3mm's or so from 29x3.0 minion which in mud sucked. Got a raceface direct mount(came with same crank but bcd), flip the chainring to get +6mm IIRC. There's a chart on the raceface website for all the combos. Pic shows the end result, plenty of room of course cog had to be moved as well with that big of a change. Might be able to do the same if that's a direct mount SRAM, looked like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-chainline.jpg  

Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I don't think I can flip over the SRAM 'ring though. At the moment it's not an issue - lots of tire clearance, chainline is great, and it hasn't flexed enough to touch the frame.
    If I go to a different 'ring, I'll just have to get one with less offset - I believe this one is a 6mm offset.

hispanic mechanic
    Here's my new (to me) bike.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-oxide.jpg

Locally built frame, stuff from the last, um, 3 bikes?!? Oh, and a fork stolen from my wife's old Karate Monkey.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Here's my new (to me) bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oxide.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	1212660

Locally built frame, stuff from the last, um, 3 bikes?!? Oh, and a fork stolen from my wife's old Karate Monkey.

Los
    That's an awesome bike.

Is that a double toptube? Or does it only look like that in the picture?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjansen83 View Post
    That's an awesome bike.

Is that a double toptube? Or does it only look like that in the picture?

Thanks, man! Yup, twin toptube.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Thanks, man! Yup, twin toptube.

Los
    Can you post a pic of that? Looks awesome

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjansen83 View Post
    Can you post a pic of that? Looks awesome

Here ya go...

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Have to say, the bike is brilliant.

Let's see the bike on the trail.

It's name is Long Bow??

With a name like that, no offense intended, I would be calling it "The Bong Low".

A natural high for sure. Green too!

Downcountry AF
    Apparently I haven't shared it here yet but...

The build:

Surly Krampus frame with custom powder coat
    Manitou Mattoc Pro 120mm fork
    White Industries Hubs laced to Sun Ringle Durroc 50mm rims (powder coated too) with Sapim Lasers
    Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 3.0"
    SQ Labs 30X Carbon 16 degree handlebar
    WI Headset matches the hubs (not sure I'm going to keep it?)
    OneUp 170mm dropper with Wolftooth lever
    XT 180mm cranks
    Wheels Manufacturing Angular Contact BB
    Magura Trail Brakes: 4 piston/2 piston

So much fun! I missed those big wheels and tires! Running 14 psi, Ha!

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_7336.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_7334.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_7333.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Bad ass!

Norūwegr

First singlespeed experience, my thumb kept looking for the shifter

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm new to SS riding too and I've found that I only reach for the shifter as I crest a hill and gain speed - looking for the next gear to go faster. I never look for it climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I switched out the 28t for a 30t chainring and didn't notice a huge difference in climbing difficulty (which was a relief) but I did find myself going a little faster - set several new PRs up familiar climbs.
    It also motivated me to swap out the 30t 'ring I was running on my FS bike (2018 Kona Process 153 29er with a GX Eagle drivetrain) for the 32t it was originally equipped with as I was finding the 30/50 gear just easier than I wanted/needed it to be.
    As a side note for anybody wondering, the Eagle chainring with it's odd tooth profiles works just fine with my 10sp KMC chain - I was initially concerned that the tooth profiles would cause me trouble with this combination.

mtbr member
    Snagged a used medium Spot Honey Badger belt drive SS!

I haven't weighed it either.

I've had two real rides on it. I love it. It's quite different than any bike I've ever had.

Had to change some things, as if the previous owner was taller. Oddly the handlebars were really narrow.

I switched things around and it fits great. Had to put new tubeless tires on it.

The interrupted seat tube forced me to use an old 27.2 Gravity Dropper post in the garage. I greased it up and it actually works great, and quietly, even if it is ugly.

Of course the Honey Badger doesn't care.

Had a good surprise crash going uphill on a technical trail section. The shortish chainstays really help the manuals so much that I looped-out on a step-up and ended up upside down with one foot clipped in on the Manzanita below the trail edge. Got scratched up.

The belt drive is a trip. Luckily the bottom bracket is nice and quiet and tight so I can pedal in stealth. But the second I coast, the angry bees sound of Chris King shatters the peace.

It's dry and dusty. The belt made weird sizzle after I went through extended areas of brownie mix and moon dust. It goes away after squirting water on it. It doesn't take a lot of water. Still, I was chagrined today because water was hard to come by, and "lubing" a drivetrain with water is not going to happen when every drop is precious. The sound of a dusty belt is as annoying as a dry chain.

The belt drive topic has been dealt with in detail elsewhere on these boards. So I won't go into this in depth for now.

Today's ride was all about biting the bullet and attacking one of the hardest climbs in my area on this SS to prove its merit. So I cleaned it.

According to Strava it was my 3rd best effort. The others were a minute faster on my old titanium SS. The hard section is 1.07 miles 859 feet over a 15% grade.

It felt hard, and always does I guess, and I can't draw any conclusions about belt drive. All I know for sure is that climb is nuts on an SS and it's only sheer stubbornness that gets me up without dabbing. There were a few saves I had to pull off. Those would happen on the old SS too.

The Honey Badger climbs well considering the suspension fork, 26-27# (a geuss), and the 69.5 head angle. But it can wander if I don't pay enough attention.

The Honey Badger has a good pedigree being the offspring of Spot Brand. There's a lot of room for bigger tires if I want them. Still it's not the Boost single speed I may eventually find.

No conclusions since this is only the beginning of my relationship with this bike.

I will say I have no qualms about power transfer with it. For some it would be a downside not to be able to have an eccentric chainring. I've never tried them, so I don't know what I'm missing.

But I do have a hunch that chains are crisper feeling. I might over the next weeks try a standard small after work loop on the different single speeds I have and see what happens.

Anyway, I couldn't resist this bargain. The brakes on it are kind of sucky. They're SRAM Level brakes and they don't shine like the Shimano XT brakes I am accustomed to.

The 100mm Reba fork feels wonderful, and the lock out knob is easy to reach and operate when needed.

The original stem/bar didn't fit me. Bar was narrow, stem too high (tried flipping it, and other stems/bars in the garage, but no dice).

I found a retro steel Syncros hinged stem of the right proportion. It had a 25.4 clamp. It just looks good, vs a big droopy 31.8 stem. Then I had to quickly get a wide handlebar with moderate sweep for it. I found the Soma Odin in 25.4 at 715mm wide with no rise, and 15į sweep.

Wow, this really feels good.

One more impression to add. The bottom bracket is low on this bike as well. I had a few pedal strikes in rock gardens which I'm fairly certain wouldn't have happened on my other single speeds. Not a downer at all though. I will adapt.

I like cornering this bike at speed. I worked on leaning the bike and keeping my body more upright with this geometry, and it began to gel for me. At the same time looking ahead and squaring my shoulders towards the next bend, and being ready to respond when/if the tires drift.

Single speed cornering is so different. When you've got gears you can gas it DH. Instead, we have to carry speed and be smooth.

Check out my ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/18...edium=referral

29er convert

Bianchi Sok SS

Thread revival!

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-bianchi-sok-ss.jpg
    ---------
    I once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt

mtbr member
    Joined the club and had a short shakedown ride yesterday.

2017 Nimble 9 XL
    Derby i35 hoops laced to Onyx hubs
    DVO Diamond 29 Boost 140
    Canfield Bros. cranks
    Deity cockpit
    XT brakes and pedals
    32/19 with Surly single speed kit
    Old Gravity Dropper and saddle I had laying aroundThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-nn-low-res-outside.jpgThe "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-nn-low-res-build-pic.jpg
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    New bike! Fat and Single! This bike is a blast.

Name:  ForumFat.jpg
Views: 3139
Size:  875.7 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Just finished building up this bad boy, 19 pounds even.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdatframe View Post
    Just finished building up this bad boy, 19 pounds even.

What brake is that?
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    KCNC x7

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Just finished this up tonight, some of you may remember my 97 Rockhopper retro/klunker/party wagon build...

Well, I came across a deal on a NOS Habanero Cycles ti frame in my size, local, 26Ē and v brake. So I couldnít resist. Took 2lbs off the RH build in just the frame alone. Direct parts swap.

I present to you 21.5lbs of smooth fury. I freaking love it and I havenít even gotten it on the dirt yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Just finished this up tonight, some of you may remember my 97 Rockhopper retro/klunker/party wagon build...

Well, I came across a deal on a NOS Habanero Cycles ti frame in my size, local, 26Ē and v brake. So I couldnít resist. Took 2lbs off the RH build in just the frame alone. Direct parts swap.

I present to you 21.5lbs of smooth fury. I freaking love it and I havenít even gotten it on the dirt yet.

Yes, this is very nice indeed!

How wide a rear tire will fit?

I've seen these on eBay lately.

I'd enjoy even more photos.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Iíll get some better ones tomorrow in the light, I just finished swapping everything over this evening.

So it should take up to a 2.35Ē tire, this is an Ikon 2.35 and I have an ENO hub that is rotated forward a bit. Still plenty of clearance in my mind, especially in AZ where we have no mud and hardly any rain.

I first saw them on eBay a while back, and for a while I was really into getting something ďSS specificĒ so I just let it go by because I didnít want the cable stops and hanger, etc. Well, Iím over that and this was too good a deal to pass up. In fact I have been considering getting a geared rear wheel for longer trips so this will work our nicely.

The best part was that the place was literally a half mile from my office, I called up Mark the owner and he met me over there, let me ride his personal bike to check out sizing, and then I picked the one I wanted and paid a fair price for it.

Make no mistake about it, this is a Chinese titanium frame made by an aerospace contractor, but the welds are great, all the reviews I could find of Habanero over the past 20 years were super positive, and Mark was a genuinely nice guy. Itís not a Moots or an Erickson, but this cost me about 1/10th of what one of those would cost and Iím happy with it!

Downcountry AF
    ^ That's pretty cool. Nice cranks!

What fork is that?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ That's pretty cool. Nice cranks!

What fork is that?
    Thanks! The fork, stem and bars were all custom made by Defiance Frameworks out of Homer, Alaska.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post

I'd enjoy even more photos.

Here you go!

Downcountry AF
    Sweet.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Throwback gt single speed

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-613518b4-2997-4472-aa84-17d18330cef1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Here you go!

Dude that is HOT!

DFMBA.org
    '15 Superfly SS

Upgrades:
    - Fox Evo fork 110mm
    - Haven wheels
    - Turbine 60 stem
    - 780 Ritchey WCS Trail carbon bar
    - ESI Xtra Chunky grips
    - Singletrack Solutions bar ends
    - XT brakes
    - Next seatpost
    - Wolftooth NW 19t cog
    - Bonty carbon cage

23.5 lbs with pedals and rear saddle stuff. Never had a bike this light, so to me it's a rocket.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

DFMBA.org
    That's amazing beauty. Very cool.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member

Sklar SS29

So I was contemplating building a new SS since my current frame is a 2010 and the components are aged, misfitted, etc (which, to be frank, is kinda the best part!). I accidentally stumbled upon a 2017 Sklar 27.5+/29 frame with sliding dropouts in my size and couldn't resist. Decided to splurge a bit and make it my dream machine since SS is the bike i'm taking to the grave. Comes in exactly at 24lbs with pedals.

- Sklar frame, dark denim gray powdercoat
    - Fox SC 34 Performance
    - Whisky bars, seatpost
    - Descendant carbon crank, 32t
    - I9 275 wheelset, 24sp
    - Magura MT4 brakes
    - Bontrager XR3 rear, XR4 front

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-sklar-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sick Sklar man, I love his frames. Was about to pull the trigger on one last year when a Retrotec popped up in my area and the deal could not be passed up. Awesome whip, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Oh man, I saw a gorgeous Retrotec over the weekend at a local race, those are badass!

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post

Name:	Sklar-4.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	1219144
    Off the hook!

hispanic mechanic

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

Hereís the new new:
    Oxide Longbow
    Tandell fork
    Chris King headset
    Bitex/Ryde Edge wheels
    Bontrager xr4 2.6 front/Specialized Ground Control 2.3 rear
    Rotor cranks
    XT brakes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Finally got my crankset struggles figured out. Took it out for the true maiden voyage this weekend, and it all worked perfectly. Except the brakes. The brakes are crap.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20181027_103859.jpg

Frame: Vassago VerHauen
    Fork: Tandell Carbon
    Crankset: Race Face Turbine Cinch, 32T
    Brakes: SRAM Level TL
    Wheels: DT M1700 35mm
    Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 27.5x3"
    Rear cog: Profile Design Zinger w/ 20T cog
    Stem: FSA Afterburner 70mm
    Bars: Salsa Salt Flat 750mm
    Grips: Ergon GA3
    Seatpost: Raleigh
    Saddle: WTB Pure V

mtbr member
    Something about the Verhauen up there looks just right. Nice one.

I have SRAM Level brakes on one bike and I agree, they are crappy. Just don't feel right.

Let me add that I appreciate the parts list. I didn't do that on my builds, partly out of laziness, and partly because I wasn't sure of I was going to switch something out real soon. Maybe I'll go back and edit the old posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Something about the Verhauen up there looks just right. Nice one.
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out too.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-4jccn5p.jpg

I have SRAM Level brakes on one bike and I agree, they are crappy. Just don't feel right.
    Yeah, they were what I had in the parts bin that was working. I don't mind the feel of them, but they just don't have enough power. Did 2000 ft of descending to start the ride (started at the top of the hill like an idiot) and almost blew through a couple of switchbacks in the process. I've got a set of XTs with a leaky caliper bleed screw that I'm going to try to rehab and install. Should be much better if I can get them functional.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'll take it to the grave.

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-ritchey-bomb-pop.jpg

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ123 View Post
    I'll take it to the grave.

Name:	Ritchey Bomb Pop.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	1223004
    Very nice. I would keep it as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-20180603_164219.jpg

My Simple SS, Oscar builds a sweet bike.

Downcountry AF
    Name:  updownside.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  134.2 KB
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Downcountry AF
    My latest builds

AC Nature Boy 853
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_7751.jpg

Transition PBJ (just finished it, no pics of finished bike yet)
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_7789.jpg

Krampus 29+: maybe the best thing ever
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_7336.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Krampus 29+: maybe the best thing ever
    I totally agree!
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dscf0951b.jpg

YYZ
    mtbr member
    El viajero

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-el-viajero.jpg

Excusez moi for putting my used steed in the midst of these wild and tamed stallions. It's a fun ride that makes me happy everyday.

mtbr member
    My Pipedream Moxie. Finally got up the nerve to try singlespeed again. Cumberland BC isn't the most SS place, but doable. Don't laugh at my gearing, I'm old, fat, and lazy.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    M. Don't laugh at my gearing, I'm old, fat, and lazy.
    I for one will not laugh. I tried to go for a short quick hour ride while kiddo napped today on the Pugsley. I choose the wrong trail, was really struggling with the 30/18, so I swapped over to the 22/22 ratio (I'm cheating with Dingle) and that was about perfect but I am stupidly weak to need to do that....
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member

RL Mono

My 2019 Redline MC: Spank 785 bars cut down / Vans Grips / 35mm stem /2.35 Rock Razors / Sram XX Brakes / RF chester Flats / cheap brown saddle from Amazon... Loving this thing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-rl29.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Pig of a SS but fun.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsweeney View Post
    Pig of a SS but fun.

Supahnoice!

Downcountry AF
    Pig of a SS but fun.
    That's not a pig...

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-dscf0228.jpg

That's a pig. (and super fun!!)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Always evolving. Latest score is a nice Fox F100X Terralogic fork, my old man wrists needed some help sometimes...

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3556.jpg

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-img_3559.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My 45650b rigid conversion

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    '18 karate monkey with parts bin build (XT cranks & brakes) and 27.5x2.8 Recon + on NEXT Grip wheels.

32x18 gearing.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    For a loooong time I've been riding a medium karate monkey because it felt like a giant BMX bike and I loved it. Did plenty of long rides on it but usually had some longish breaks mixed in, or at least more relaxed sections of riding. This year I wanted to try some lap-based endurance races instead of single loops, and found that I was much less comfortable on later laps because the bike was so short.

Briefly looked for another old KM frame but got tired of it, and kind of decided I wanted another boost bike anyway so I could share wheels between my two MTB's. So I sold my fatbike and everything I couldn't use off the KM so I could get this bad boy.

Its pretty nice. I don't know if I am going to sell the KM frame or not yet - it has some rust under the paint and I figure it doesn't pay to strip and repaint unless I am going to keep it. Maybe I can build it back up with some of those sunrise bars someday and really lean into the BMX feel.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Cannondale F-Si singlespeed

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-d464d0c7-e31a-444a-ab3a-75eb6d7506db.jpg
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-eca6d006-7b0a-4728-baf8-6b287b96933d.jpg
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-db9f63b9-23be-4da7-b6d6-fad0a55aab66.jpg
    The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!-cbfdb442-716e-404e-816f-4d071beb355f.jpg

I had been sweeping the internet for a proper F-Si single-speed and had little success. Without a roadmap, I set out for the great unknown. Now that Iím at the tail end of this conversion, it has become clear why most people keep the bike geared. I hit a few bumps in the road, having to educate myself on BB30 vs PF30, finding out the B.B. shell is 83mm, pulling out a pefectly fine <500g crankset and replacing it with a 800g boat anchor to make room for the EBB

Anyways Iím still working out some bugs, getting ready to break into the XC racing again but single speed this time. Iím just putting this up here in case someone with an F-Si needs to see that this is possible, and to answer any questions. Cheers!

mtbr member
    The sunrise bars are pretty sick .. I used a set to do a cheap 1x1 build and they really make the bike!

mtbr member

Traded a bass guitar to the owner of my lbs for this new Woodsmoke. Iíll make some changes to it for sure; dropper post, brakes... maybe a belt drive? Regardless, itís my first dive into the world of SS mtb and Iím pretty excited to get it out on a trail!
    Ride well. Live well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    How much does your Woodsmoke weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfwagon View Post
    Thatís a good question and Iím not sure. Iíll swing by a bike shop this week and have it weighed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride well. Live well.

29er convert
    Same SS. New picture. Bianchi

---------
    I once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt

Kneel Before Your Master
    Installed some beefier tires on the 2018 Monocog today. These are Bontrager XR4 Expert's that are 2.4" wide and Tubeless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My 1x1 Clunker parts bin build BMX bar hopper thingy: Jumping curbs and slurring words....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-ks.jpg  

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-sunrise.jpg  

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-surly.jpg  

mtbr member
    27.0 lbs with pedals.

It's a bit heavier then I would have guessed, even for a size large. I could drop some weight with a different fork or lighter tires but apart from wanting to add dropper and a carbon bar, I'll probably just ride it the way it is for now.
    Ride well. Live well.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia View Post
    Installed some beefier tires on the 2018 Monocog today. These are Bontrager XR4 Expert's that are 2.4" wide and Tubeless. [IMG]
    That's saweet! Love that color scheme!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karate Krampus View Post

Is that a painted steel stem?! It sure looks right. I like steel stems, especially on retro or steel frames. Just seems right, to me.

I've never had a Ritchey bike, but always admire them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ritchey stem in Ritchey red

mtbr member
    The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-img_1537.jpg

I still have no idea why MTBR absolutely insists that every photo I upload needs to be sideways.

Built this one from the frame up. Built my own wheels this time too.

Spot Rocker 27.5 Belt-drive

Onyx hubs F/R (boost) Laced to American Classic 34/38 rims

Fox Factory 32 (non step-cast)
    Fox Factory Transfer Post 125mm (external)
    E*Thirteen XCX crankset
    Raceface Next bars 760mm with 35mm Clamp dia.
    Raceface Turbine stem 35mm
    Magura MT4 brakes
    Gates belt drive 42x24 drivetrain
    Chromag Lynx DT Saddle
    Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	1236135

I still have no idea why MTBR absolutely insists that every photo I upload needs to be sideways.

Built this one from the frame up. Built my own wheels this time too.

Spot Rocker 27.5 Belt-drive

Onyx hubs F/R (boost) Laced to American Classic 34/38 rims

Fox Factory 32 (non step-cast)
    Fox Factory Transfer Post 125mm (external)
    E*Thirteen XCX crankset
    Raceface Next bars 760mm with 35mm Clamp dia.
    Raceface Turbine stem 35mm
    Magura MT4 brakes
    Gates belt drive 42x24 drivetrain
    Chromag Lynx DT Saddle
    Nice bike! Are you taking pics with an iphone? Only time I ever had issue was with one of those, had to start previewing on desktop and rotating before uploading
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just got my new SS built for the year. Coming from a large 08 KM and wanted something lighter. It ended up being like 23lbs 5oz when I was done with it. Waiting for some better weather to take it out. Dropped like 5lbs off my previous bike. Thinking about trying some lighter tires but we'll get there eventually

Specialized crave SL large
    Fact carbon fork
    SLX cranks
    eBay chainring, 34t
    eBay cog 20t
    eBay carbon seatpost
    Avenair carbon saddle
    Bontrager carbon bars
    Raceface Chester stem
    Wtb i29 rims
    DT Swiss comp spokes
    BHS hubs
    DHF 2.5wt
    Ardent 2.4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-crave.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

SStache

Just converted my 2017 Trek Stache 5 to SS. Really looking forward to riding this thing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-sstache2.jpg  

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-sstache-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPedals View Post
    Just converted my 2017 Trek Stache 5 to SS. Really looking forward to riding this thing
    Less is more or less.

mtbr member

Marin Gravel/Dirt SS

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-img_20181225_204301_817.jpg

Realized I never posted this bad boy. Swapped an old All City Dropout for this Marin Nicasio SS last spring. Short rundown on the specs:

Frame & Fork: Marin 4130 Steel w/ Sliding Dropouts
    Wheels: WTB Rims with SRAM Hubs w/ WTB Byway 650b Tires
    Drivetrain: SRAM Apex Cranks w/ 39T Endless Odd 1 Chainring and 16T Surly Cog
    Brakes: Promax Render R Brakes w/ Shimano Road Levers
    Cockpit: Dajia Farbars w/ Shellacked Cotton Tape, Paul Boxcar Stem

Used it as a commuter this past summer and got into some gravel events with it in the fall. This bike eats up miles pretty comfortably if not always quickly. Great training/commuting bike in this format.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    How much does the Stache 5 weigh as a SS?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How much does the Stache 5 weigh as a SS?
    Haven't weighed it. But definitely dropped over a pound. The bike feels so lively now, especially in the back. Really scoots forward and pops off rocks. I Feel Trek should have made this thing an SS from the start(or at least offer an SS model). Also not running the stock wheels , running IBIS 938.

JP

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Just got my new SS built for the year. Coming from a large 08 KM and wanted something lighter. It ended up being like 23lbs 5oz when I was done with it. Waiting for some better weather to take it out. Dropped like 5lbs off my previous bike. Thinking about trying some lighter tires but we'll get there eventually

Specialized crave SL large
    Fact carbon fork
    SLX cranks
    eBay chainring, 34t
    eBay cog 20t
    eBay carbon seatpost
    Avenair carbon saddle
    Bontrager carbon bars
    Raceface Chester stem
    Wtb i29 rims
    DT Swiss comp spokes
    BHS hubs
    DHF 2.5wt
    Ardent 2.4

Buddy hooked me up with a set of XTR m985 brakes and i swapped out the grips to a set of lizard skin grips. It's down to 22lb 10oz. Can't wait to get this thing out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Third and favorite singlespeed so far!

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-img_0006.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Pivot LES? I like bike that a lot!

banned
    Dec 2010

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!

New paint

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Winter Commuter

Kona Unit, Reba, Nokian studs and Fenders!
    The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-file1-8.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-file-15.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My new Pipedream Moxie

Running 33x20
    29x2.6 front
    29x2.4 rear
    Both on i35 rims
    160mm (needs dropping to 150) pikes
    Boost spacing front and back

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    So awesome! Nicely done

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Nearly finished this bike. Ordered the frame for my single speed gravel bike today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-b2a126bf-a988-4b60-878e-386a3082c0d6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgritss View Post
    Nearly finished this bike. Ordered the frame for my single speed gravel bike today.
    Which frame did you grab?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NAU83 View Post
    Which frame did you grab?

Bought a used Wabi classic of off eBay .

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Here is my 2019 Soma Juice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-screenshot_20190303-110751_gallery.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erb16 View Post
    Here is my 2019 Soma Juice.
    This Soma gets a "Super Nice" rating ( according to GMBN rules ), not just because it's awesome, but also because the photo is well composed, drivetrain forward, with the pedal at 3 o'clock.

It's a little unclear, due to file compression though. I can't tell what any of the parts are exactly.

Is that an MRD fork? Great colors.

That's a sweet ride. Probably Shimano brakes.

Looks like the weather where I live.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Sorry for the poor photo quality, but it's the only one I have of the bike. That photo is actually from last summer after I finished building the bike. It is about 45*F here right now and raining. The bike is a bit different now as I got a new wheelset and made a change to the fit because I was experiencing lower back pain even during short rides.

I bought a new MRP fork to replace the one in the photo because the steerer was too short and I couldn't get the bars high enough. The old fork was 1 1/8" straight steerer so while I was at it I ordered the new fork with a tapered steerer to allow the use of a EC lower headset cup for extra front end height. I cut the steerer with room for more spacers and added a Thomson riser stem to replace the 0deg Thomson that it was built with. Expensive fit mods but worth it as I really enjoy the ride of the frame.

The new wheelset is a Stans Arch MK3 with the Neo Ultimate SS rear hub and std Neo 15x100 front hub. The stiffness gained through the tapered and thru axle fork was noticable and the added volume from the wider rim was welcome.

Here is the "build sheet"......

2019 Soma Juice size L
    MRP Rock Solid fork tapered steerer 15x100 axle
    SLX M7000 crank
    32t Wolftooth oval
    XTR BB
    XTR race pedals
    Thomson 60MM riser stem
    Thomson Trail carbon handlebar
    XT M785 brakes
    Wolftooth 18,19 or 20T cog depending on recent beer consumption
    Thomson Elite 0 offset seatpost
    WTB Volt Team TI rail saddle
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tires for summer, Forekaster 2.35 for damp winter trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got tired of the chameleon and built this up.

Stanton switchback
    Pike 160mm
    Dtswiss on onyx hubs
    Rest doesn't matter much

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Got tired of the chameleon and built this up.

Stanton switchback
    Pike 160mm
    Dtswiss on onyx hubs
    Rest doesn't matter much

Love the paint job. It reminds me of the old Kleins.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Only thing i've changed is flipping the stem. New tires by next week. Then just want to go to a carbon or matte seatpost b/c I don't like the contrast between it and the frame.
    The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-pivot.jpg

banned
    Dec 2010

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!

I had a custom head badge made. Itís my dogs paw and his name.
    Thatís him after getting too close to the back wheel on a ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That's bad ass man!

surly inbred
    Good stuff all around, brother. Frame?

mtbr member

Canfield R1ot

The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-4ei8w3j.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-20190329_154728.jpg

My "new" steel SS minus the grips.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    And just for kicks, my steel SS belt gravel bike that I just raced to 2nd place this past weekend.
    The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-20190328_150408.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-untitled-5.jpg  

by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post

My "new" steel SS minus the grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    And just for kicks, my steel SS belt gravel bike that I just raced to 2nd place this past weekend.
    What frames are those? I don't recognize either, but that Green sticker is hard to miss.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Both of those deserve a lot more description Lovely looking bikes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What's the saddle bag on the Assassin?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Both are bikes I designed a few years ago. I wanted to sell the frames but life got in the way and my other business took over my time.

I have business contacts in Taiwan and found a welder/ bike maker. Then I powder coat them here in Michigan.

Both are Reynolds 853 steel tubing for the main triangle. Paragon machine drop outs.

As for the saddle bag, it's a Topeak.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Both look awesome 👍

How did you find racing the CX/ Gravel bike SS? I'd imagine you are at a massive disadvantage unless it is reasonably hilly???

mtbr member
    I ran 55/20 gearing. I literally walked away from geared bikes on the flats and small rollers.

It took a toll on me during long sustained climbing, and I had to walk 2 hills that had sections of 20% gradients as I just couldn't turn the cranks anymore. But those were probably less than 1 minute of walking.

I beat the 1st place woman by a few seconds and I'm not the strongest rider. So SS is not a hindrance to that sort of riding but I personally wouldn't use it in a super strong field of geared riders or over long distance races say over 40 miles.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My newly re-built steel peace 9r
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Post Your Singlespeed!-peace-9r.jpg  

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Finally got r dun. Still not sure on the year, but itís a Gary Fisher ďRigĒ SS. Had my local trusty shop build up some Velocity Blunt SS rims to a set of Hadley hubs (rear singlespeed specific). Overall impression on maiden voyage is that this bike is FREAKING AMAZING on climbs and twitchy sprinty sections. Insanely fun bike!!!

Would be really amazing if I could upload pictures, but this website has a retardo-balls piece of crap 1998 spec image uploader which only yields (for me) a 3% success rate. So please use your imagination as to how awesome this bike looks.

Freaking gay on the image uploader fail. Seriously. Lameballs. This is the 21st century.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Salsa Timberjack (size LG)

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Members who have read this thread: 366