New Niner SIR SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Niner SIR SS

Well, after initially ordering a white one and it coming in as a large rather than medium, and then going on a 10 day trip out of state, I came home to find a box in the garage with a medium SIR in the 2016 color scheme. Excel Sports remedied the mistake, and while I would have preferred the all white, the silver with white looks pretty darn good as well!

This is my first SS bike, and I plan to get it out for a ride later today. XT crank/brakes, Stan's Rapid wheels, Maxxis Icon 2.35 F/R. 30t front, 18t rear. 21.8 lbs with the Spank pedals (been years since I was on flats, but I wanted to try them out). I have a Niner carbon bar to toss on, but I want to try it with the stock Ritchey alloy bar so I can see if the difference in feel is noticeable.

Definitely need to get the steerer cut, but I want to see how I like the position first.

Bad pic, but it gets the job done.

New Niner SIR SS-img_2920.jpg

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Looks good, I think large would have worked too

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB View Post
    Looks good, I think large would have worked too

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    I REALLY wanted it to... but it felt way to big. I really prefer a smaller frame, and I am right on the verge of large working, but I wanted this sucker to fit the way I want. With the ability to easily toss on gears, I plan on having this bike for a good long while, always lusted after an 853 steel bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nice bike! Congrats! Did you get to test ride a SIR 9 before buying yours, or did you just trust your gut and reviews? My local bike shop has the El Mariachi and can get a Superfly SS for me to test, but no SIR 9 dealer is anywhere near me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    Nice bike! Congrats! Did you get to test ride a SIR 9 before buying yours, or did you just trust your gut and reviews? My local bike shop has the El Mariachi and can get a Superfly SS for me to test, but no SIR 9 dealer is anywhere near me.
    Trusted my gut, honestly. I have, however, ridden medium Niner's in the past (EMD's) and the geometry is pretty much the same, if not identical. But, no, I did not ride one first.

I can say, after my first ride today, that I certainly made the right choice. It was only 10 miles, and the headset was a little loose, but the bike handles great, and I do not foresee any issues running SS or fully rigid. Get the SIR if you can, I love it!

New Niner SIR SS-img_2925.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Where else did you shop? What was involved in your decision to buy from Excel Sports? I am having a hard time finding the SIR 9's online as a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    Where else did you shop? What was involved in your decision to buy from Excel Sports? I am having a hard time finding the SIR 9's online as a complete bike.
    I just googled 'em to see what was out there, and wasn't even looking to buy. But, Excel had a medium listed, with XC bits and my favorite tires, list $3k, on sale for $2200. Good deal, and after adding up the cost, I likely couldn't build it for that. I preferred that bulid to the others I saw.

Jenson had a size large for a good deal, and Excel has an actual size medium in yellow (no white though), and a couple other stores had 'em, but I don't remember which.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for the reply, and enjoy that bike!!

mtbr member
    That looks awesome. Off to do some research

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nice looking bike, like the silver/white.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks nice, I have a rigid Sir9 but I love having wide rims. I lost faith in Stans long ago with his "Wideright"BS . I use 2.35 tires on 30-35mm rims and they work great.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Is that for trails(30x18)?
    Yes. I am no longer on that gearing, however. Bought an Absolute Black oval in 32, and swap out the rear between a 21 and 22... don't judge. I never have been very speedy on the flats anyways, so I don't really mind the lack of top end!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm not judging bro, just usually do see a 30x18. I too just bought a oval Wolf Tooth 32. Haven't tried it yet but I'll be using a 22cog when I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Yes. I am no longer on that gearing, however. Bought an Absolute Black oval in 32, and swap out the rear between a 21 and 22... don't judge. I never have been very speedy on the flats anyways, so I don't really mind the lack of top end!
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No worries. The bike came with the 30x18, only rode it a couple times. Loving the AB oval, and the 22 helps me get up the crazy steeps I encounter regularly. I don't care much about flat terrain top speed so it isn't a huge deal, although my goal is to get strong enough for a 21t. I know a lot of people run a 32x20 (from a 'post your gearing' thread), but that isn't attainable for me in my current fitness.

One day, perhaps!

Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    I'm not judging bro, just usually do see a 30x18. I too just bought a oval Wolf Tooth 32. Haven't tried it yet but I'll be using a 22cog when I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    nice one!