mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New and need help

Hey all,

I am new to this forum and am looking to getting back into MTBing...I use to ride with my sister in the PA area and loved it. My son is starting to ride a bike and I wanta get another one. I am wanting a Single Speed Steel Frame, thinking of a 29er since I am 6 foot 5 inches tall. I say steel cause I also weigh around 300lbs...but is simple I'm a biggin'.

The problem is that all I see are very expensive bikes, I do not want to spend more than 500 due to my budget limitations...any help? Would it be easier to build on?

All comments is much appriecated

Apr 2007
    You will get a ton of answers. I'd say go down to your local Redline dealer and look at the Monocog. You should be able to pick one up for less than $500. Hopefully, the x-large (21") will fit you. The frame is stout and has a lifetime warranty.

You can get cheaper bikes by ordering from various places online, but if I were in your shoes, the few dollars saved would be negated by getting the correct fit, and being able to deal with your local shop for warranty issues rather than a faceless internet company. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0