New (to me) SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: New (to me) SS

Currently in Exile

New (to me) SS

As some of you might already know, I have been out of the country for the last few months. I made a bit of extra money while I was overseas and decided to spend a small portion of that to get myself a dedicated SS. I found a 1X1 on Ebay that I was able to pick up for under $400.00. I built the bike up and I can honestly say that I am VERY happy with my purchase! I have always enjoyed the Cdale that I converted, but I fealt that it was time for a bike that was built to be a SS from the ground up.

My first impression riding the Surly is that I will really enjoy this bike. It is a better bike for me in that it does the mountain bike stuff more easily. The Cdale has a slightly longer TT which made it difficult for me to pop the front end up. The Surly just feels more nimble than the Cdale did. The engagement of the Shimano freewheel is very positive (more so than the Exage free hub on the Cdale), and the XTR V-brakes work worlds better than the cantilever brakes on the old bike.

I have really enjoyed the Cdale. It has been a great introduction to SS for me. But, I think that I am going to enjoy the Surly even more!

And now a few pics for comparison.

Any one notice a BLACK bike theme going here? I can't wait to get this baby out on some serious single track!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes

Any one notice a BLACK bike theme going here? I can't wait to get this baby out on some serious single track!
    Yea except for the PINK one you are tryng to hide in the garage.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice! Tighten the Surley chain though, I'd hate for you to noob yer knee on your stem.
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

Got Mojo?

share the wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    I have really enjoyed the Cdale. It has been a great introduction to SS for me. But, I think that I am going to enjoy the Surly even more!
    Enjoy your new ride. Looks like a stout build. Perhaps you should consider passing on your Cannondale to some unsuspecting gearie....
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Enjoy your new ride. Looks like a stout build. Perhaps you should consider passing on your Cannondale to some unsuspecting gearie....
    Interesting you should mention that. I have a few unsuspecting victims in mind. If I do pull it off, I will have to post up about the experience.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Members who have read this thread: 0