New to me Lefty SS 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New to me Lefty SS 29er

Two weeks ago, while installing a new rear brake I ran into big trouble with the rotor rubbing the caliper bracket. Upon closer inspection, my non-drive side seatstay and chainstay were bent pretty bad. Probably explains why my bike was feeling a little loose. I was bummed, but I had been looking into a new steel frame anyway. Soma Juice, SIR 9, and El Mariachi were at the top of my list, but I stumbled upon this gem on eBay during my search. Couldn't pass it up for the price. A little leery about going back to front suspension from rigid, but it should be fun.

Cannondale F29 Singlespeed
    Lefty Speed 29er
    Stan's Arch Wheelset w/ WTB Exiwolf setup tubeless f+r
    Truvative Stylo OCT Crank w/ Rotor SS Q Ring
    Shimano SLX Brakes 185/160
    Ritchey WCS Alloy 10d Bars
    Thomson Elite Setback

Comes in right around 23 lbs. a whole 2 pounds lighter than my old rigid SS! Only plans right now are to swap the front exiwolf for a rampage, swap the roundagon rotors for G2s. This winter I'm going to try and get it under 21 lbs.

Low Rep Count
    Too funny, I was looking at this bike (well it could have been this bike anyway) on ebay as well but decided I was just going to save for a new frame instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Too funny, I was looking at this bike (well it could have been this bike anyway) on ebay as well but decided I was just going to save for a new frame instead.

I was doing the same, but for the price and with the components this bike had I couldn't pass it up. Worst case scenario, if I don't love it I'll part out the frameset and my old bike and have more than enough money for a nice frame/rigid fork.

Low Rep Count
    I'm sure you will make out either way. I really just wanted the frame/fork but would have to use the front wheel until I had the funds to build a nicer one. I was thinking the same thoughts but the reality is that I would end up spending even more money down the road so I simply left things alone.

Low Rep Count
    The El Mariachi or a Jabber for the most part. Both are as close to what I am looking for without the custom price tag as I have been able to find so far. On the flip side, I want something light and have been on my alu bike and don't mind the ride. I always liked the Lefty so that is how I sort of stumbled on it. But for now I am fine. My bike is functional but simply has a design issue (there are no chain tensioners) I wrote about it here: http://forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/up...ew-750978.html

What I meant by spending more money is that I know I would end up having another set of wheels built up (something I was planning to do anyway) because I would then be able to run a cog rather than a freewheel (which I have now on my WI hubs) and I am sure it would just go on from there...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    What frame are you looking at?

Low Rep Count
    Odd, I saw your post and typed mine but some how my response is above your post????

Seriously, I was looking but have pretty much backed off for now. I figure I will sock a little money away over the winter and deal with it in the spring. Gotta deal with Christmas at this point.

Low Rep Count
    I'll check them out. I have heard of them before but just didn't think about it.

I will certainly link up with you when it's wheel time. Trust me I did not forget the fact that you said you would build them!

Therapeutic??? Man, I about lost my mind the first/last time I built a wheel. It was a Zipp 303 w/ Record hub. I thought I was going to throw that thing thru the wall. Man, it was only Radial lacing at that!

Ok, sorry for the tread jack!

Low Rep Count
    and again!!! WTH?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The board has been acting kind weird. I have no idea what's up.

Someone's going to kick my ass for this, but have you looked at Habanero Cycles? They can do a custom Ti frame starting at $1,300:
    3Al / 2.5V Brushed Titanium Frames for $895

When it comes time to build the wheels, I'd be happy to do that for you. I don't charge for it since I find it therapeutic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hah!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Got to take it out for the maiden voyage today. Conditions were miserable at best, 1.5 inches of rain last night made for some slick, muddy, trails covered in a nice layer of wet leaves. Took awhile to adjust the bike to my liking, but once it fit me well it felt great!...for the most part. That exiwolf front tire is atrocious...worthless on the front. On the rear it was ok, but I washed out hard twice with no warning. Setup a rampage that I had lying around tubeless. We'll see how it works out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check out the Conti Race King 2.2 Supersonic. They roll incredibly fast, have a lot of cush, and are extremely grippy over rock and roots even when they're wet. It doesn't hurt they're very light as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How about the X King in 2.4? It uses the RK 2.2 carcass, but makes the knobs bigger.

Low Rep Count
    Honestly for wet mucky conditions, the MTN King is probably the best tire I have run. However when set up as tubeless, I punctured both sidewalls on both tires! Sorta bumbed about that one. Switched to a WTB Bronson on the front and a Wolverine on the rear. Been out in some muddy conditions already and they have held up quite well though they will pack up in the pasty stuff.

Same goes for the RK's. They are super light in the Super Sonic version but unfortunately they are only available in the SS version in the 26" size. The 29er versions are not that light. So far the lightest 29er tire I have put on the bike that still has comperable traction is the WTB Nano Raptor. In fact, I was so impressed with that tire last season that I plan on running them again and potentially front and rear (had it on the rear over the summer with a Maxxis Ikon on the front-great combo actually and both tires were under 550 grams/ea.) For the winter, I'm more concerned about the traction than I am the weight though I still want a fairly fast rolling tire (Navagals are just too much for me when it comes to rolling resistance)

Have a blast out there! Wish I could get out but I don't think that is going to happen until Sunday at this point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was running nanoraptors front and rear for awhile, it made for a really lightweight fast setup in dry conditions. The tails I ride here in New England are rarely dry. The nanoraptor still worked well as a lightweight rear, but would wash out up front.

Still searching for a good front tire. Tried that rampage today and about 2 miles in I put a nice gash in it. Stan's wouldn't seal it...no chance. Guess that experiment didn't work. Good news is I mange to glue a piece of old tube inside the tire so I could inflate and ride back.