New Kona Unit done!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    20

    ... and if we just ... New Kona Unit done!

    Just got the new unit done this weekend and thought would share specs. Here goes:

    Frame: 2004 Kona Unit w/sliding dropouts
    Fork: Rigid disc only
    Wheels: WTB disc velocity rims, gold titanium spokes (Mike Garcia/oddsandendos.com)
    Cranks: Truvativ single 180mm
    BB: Truvativ isis
    Seatpost: Thompson
    Bars:Easton DH monkey lites 28" wide
    Stem: Truvativ (on back order)
    Brakes: Avid mechanicals
    Levers: Sram 9.0
    Headset: Ritchey scuzzy logic sealed.

    Bike feels very light and compliant, sliding dropouts are the shiznitz! Havent put on the scales yet, but guessing under 21lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,659

    Nice!

    I love the wooden Flite saddle. Looks like polished walnut.

    What kind of fork is that?

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  3. #3
    no gears, no tears
    Reputation: giantrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigidone2
    Just got the new unit done this weekend and thought would share specs. Here goes:

    Frame: 2004 Kona Unit w/sliding dropouts
    Fork: Rigid disc only
    Wheels: WTB disc velocity rims, gold titanium spokes (Mike Garcia/oddsandendos.com)
    Cranks: Truvativ single 180mm
    BB: Truvativ isis
    Seatpost: Thompson
    Bars:Easton DH monkey lites 28" wide
    Stem: Truvativ (on back order)
    Brakes: Avid mechanicals
    Levers: Sram 9.0
    Headset: Ritchey scuzzy logic sealed.

    Bike feels very light and compliant, sliding dropouts are the shiznitz! Havent put on the scales yet, but guessing under 21lbs.
    Sweet, dig those gold spokes.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zen_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    89
    Very cool. One question, Whats the difference between a Kona Unit and a Kona Explosif?

  5. #5
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Nice saddle. Where'd you get it? I'm looking for a regular Flite in gray. (I had a decent crash this weekend and cut two big holes in my Flite.) Remember 10 years ago when you could get the Flite in 20 different colors? Now it's black or the hard-to-find white.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    20

    What kind of saddle?

    The saddle is a 1992 flite that I had a buddy of mine recover with some brown cow-skin looking leather material. It was the first saddle that I ever bought when I started mountain biking back in 1992. The fork is a kinesis rigid disc only $50 from webcyclery (about a year old)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Dude
    Very cool. One question, Whats the difference between a Kona Unit and a Kona Explosif?
    Explosif has a deraileur hanger on the sliding dropout, you can leave in or put a Unit dropout on (called a SS kit by Kona). The only other difference is the Explosif has braze ons for deraileur cable stops. SWEET either way.

  8. #8
    semi-evolved simian
    Reputation: Mine'sAPint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Dude
    Very cool. One question, Whats the difference between a Kona Unit and a Kona Explosif?
    Yup, sure is a sweet looking Kona


    Zen_Dude, the Explosif has front/rear derailleur cable stops and a derailleur hanger on the sliding dropouts. Other than that the only difference is colour, Unit=gray, Explosif=blue.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    New question here. Unit - What Size

    I do like the way that bike looks!
    What frame size are you?
    I am 6'3" and deciding between the unit or
    the solo one, both stock.
    I through out a thread and got two response back.
    The unit tops out at 20 whilst the solo is 22.
    Just not sure about that softail and no chance to test one here.
    harper

  10. #10
    Arrrr.
    Reputation: twrecks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    152

    Pricepoint...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigidone2
    The saddle is a 1992 flite that I had a buddy of mine recover with some brown cow-skin looking leather material. It was the first saddle that I ever bought when I started mountain biking back in 1992. The fork is a kinesis rigid disc only $50 from webcyclery (about a year old)
    ...has flites in different colors, I got a blue one last month to match my new bike, it was on sale for 35.00!! The selection of colored flites seems to come and go, sometimes colorad cyclist will have them too. Good luck.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: erol/frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    488
    Very utilistic looking SS-Kona. Must be swell to ride. =)

  12. #12
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,413

    Looks pretty nice...

    I built one earlier this year and love it. My only complaint is how easily the paint chips. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    The name's Norm...
    Reputation: maSSpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    152
    Sweet rides!!
    No probs w/ the sliding drops?

  14. #14
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,413
    Thanks. No problems at all with the sliding drop outs - nothing but easy adjustments after changing gears. I'm gonna replace the OEM bolts on the dropouts at some point, I slipped while wrenching and rounded one of them out a little bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by maSSpayne
    Sweet rides!!
    No probs w/ the sliding drops?

  15. #15
    FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Reputation: erkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    363
    whats the framesize of the first bike in the thread?

  16. #16
    Lazy People Suck
    Reputation: Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan
    whats the framesize of the first bike in the thread?
    Its a buddy of mines. It is a 19" frame.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    20

    A couple more pics

    Thought I would throw in a couple more pics, better light and my new Truvativ Team stem came in yesterday so here they are.
    Happy trails
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    136

    Tire Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigidone2
    Thought I would throw in a couple more pics, better light and my new Truvativ Team stem came in yesterday so here they are.
    Happy trails

    how are you liking your tire selection?? Python rear w/ Explorer front?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    20

    Tire selection

    Quote Originally Posted by nmcculloch
    how are you liking your tire selection?? Python rear w/ Explorer front?
    Works great here in IN. I ran this combo on my Spot Brand also when I was using the rigid fork.

Similar Threads

  1. kona unit, and explosif questions
    By stevie nicks in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:04 PM
  2. How big a tire fit's in a Kona Unit frame ?
    By Rockdogger in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 09:22 PM
  3. Kona Unit in stock?
    By leeco in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 01:34 PM
  4. 04 Kona Unit or Bianchi SASS
    By Poothooter in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:24 AM
  5. Kona Unit + seatpost length
    By gersting in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 06:57 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.