New and Improved ENO 32 tooth Chainrings- Mtbr.com
    Whatever! Just crash it!

... and if we just ... New and Improved ENO 32 tooth Chainrings

Greetings inhabitants of the planet earth.

About a week or so ago, I posted a question about alternatives to the ENO chainring that came with my ENO cranks. Basically, I found out two things: 1) There isn't one short of the Boone Titanium ring; and 2) With the exception of Drevil and I, most of you'uns are pretty dang happy with your chainrings.

First off, Let me post a warning. Don't ever let a small fuzzy kitten near your ENO chainrings. She'll destroy it in a matter of seconds.

Just kidding. It actually took a 200 pound masher who wails on logs and rocks from time to time to mangle that chainring. Here's what it looked like after.

White Industries totally hooked me up. I talked to Lynette and before long, a NEW AND IMPROVED Eno chainring was on the way. They beefed it up quite a bit. Here's a photo of them side by side:

The spokes are each 2mm wider on the new, green one and the holes are smaller too.

This is only a change made on the 32 tooth rings. The 34 and bigger are already beefier and have bigger spokes.

34 Tooth ENO ring from Web Cyclery. Mean Todd had them in stock too. I conducted a race to see who would get the ring to me faster: Web cyclery or White Industries. If you're curious, it was a tie.

I've got one installed and I'll take it out to play this weekend. From the looks of things, I don't think I'll have trouble getting more durability out of the new chainrings.

And completely unrelated to this post, this is a photo of a box of White Castle Chicken Rings. They are probaby best used for leveling a wobbly table.

Thank you for reading. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    cool it looks like I got a new 34t with my crankset the other day.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by vortrex
    cool it looks like I got a new 34t with my crankset the other day.
    The 34 was already beefier. They didn't change it. Just the 32 since it was made a bit lighter.

If anyone has a problem with their 32, consider the $40 solution from White Industries before you do the >$100 solution with the boone.

That isn't to say that the Boone isn't a great ring. I'm sure it is. I just went for a more reasonable ring.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

mtbr member

we don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Objectionable Material

And completely unrelated to this post, this is a photo of a box of White Castle Chicken Rings. They are probaby best used for leveling a wobbly table.
    dang! we don't have a Whitew Castle in Oconomowoc. I will petition from house to house...HBFK!

those are Rollercams...
    "And completely unrelated to this post, this is a photo of a box of White Castle Chicken Rings. They are probaby best used for leveling a wobbly table. "

My kids love those things, admittedly their father has a weakness for White Castle burgers

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    My kids love those things, admittedly their father has a weakness for White Castle burgers
    I can relate to that.

I also like this one:

Notice it doesn't say anything about passing the inspection.

Going even farther off topic: Can someone jack their own thread? I guess I'll find out.

Peter

No Justice = No Peace

I live really close to White Industries

Thank you for reading. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Peter[/QUOTE]

And you apparently have White Castle close to your riding area. Maybe we can work something out.....
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mudnthebloodnthebeer

Uh, those aren't chicken. Looks llike they've found a way to use the whole cow though..........

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    And you apparently have White Castle close to your riding area. Maybe we can work something out.....
    We don't have no stinkin' White Castles in our area Pedro! You up in Jersey or sumthin'?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    I was torn between an ENO+Phil vs. Speedgoat Deus SS rig. Dues won because it came with a convenient bashgaurd; the ENO didn't. OM, you and Drevil ride the same loggy trails I do and you should know better. Long live the bashgaurd. A pox on the ENO.

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

ENO Rings

ENO rings have no concave, or convex or whatever the heck Spot rings have to keep them away from the chainstay. So I had to run a 122mm bb. NO FLEX THERE. Great choice for a SS. So they went byebye. WI... great hubs, best freewheel made... I think the cranks/chainrings s*ck.

It's been 10 years since I lived back east... nice to know White Castle is finding new and creative ways to destroy colons... Nothing like a late night Castle run. Don't know what was worse the next day, the 9 beers, or the 6 'sliders'.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    We don't have no stinkin' White Castles in our area Pedro! You up in Jersey or sumthin'?
    Nah. That was St. Louis. I'll be up in Jersey in a few weeks though. I'll take more photos of disgusting food then.

Gotta bulk up for race season. In the immortal words of Eric Cartman (the epitome of HBFK) "BEEFCAKE!"

Peter

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    Long live the bashgaurd. A pox on the ENO.
    To be honest, I have problems with bash guards too. The bashguards don't fail, but they put a TON of stress into crank spiders. That isn't really a problem for normal-sized humans. Those of us on the far side of the bell curve (or in this case, the belly curve) tend to break crank bolts and spiders from time to time.

I found the SPOT bashguards to be a good compromise. They're strong enough to protect the chainring, but light and wimpy enough to fail before the chainring bolt or spider. When they do fail, they bend to the right most of the time and that makes it so it doesn't interfere with proper function of the drivetrain. It just slices open my leg.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bykegnurd
    ENO rings have no concave, or convex or whatever the heck Spot rings have to keep them away from the chainstay. So I had to run a 122mm bb. NO FLEX THERE. Great choice for a SS. So they went byebye. WI... great hubs, best freewheel made... I think the cranks/chainrings s*ck.
    Dang. That must just be something with the way your frame is set up. I've used my ENO cranks on two different bikes. On the one with a 68mm BB shell, I ran a 108mm BB spindle. The monkey has a 73mm shell, so I use a 113mm spindle.

I did notice that the ENOs creaked a lot with one BB that I used. I switched to a Race Face and they're quiet as a mouse. I need to invest in a Phil sometime soon. If I stay out of jail this month, that is my present to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by bykegnurd
    It's been 10 years since I lived back east... nice to know White Castle is finding new and creative ways to destroy colons... Nothing like a late night Castle run. Don't know what was worse the next day, the 9 beers, or the 6 'sliders'.
    It is almost 4 hours driving time to the nearest White Castle. That doesn't take into account the time needed to reinact scenes from the movie Harold and Kumar.

Peter

Chicken donuts. Unbelievable !

Members who have read this thread: 0