New Guy Question???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New Guy Question???

Hey people out there. I do not currently own/oporate a singlespeed but would like to. Last fall I upgraded my hardtail to a Kona Dawg and asked the LBS to convert my old bike to a singlespeed. It is a 97 Schwinn Moab.

After a couple months, the LBS finally called back and said the bike is junk and they will dispose of it for me. I was like, hell no, I'll come down and pick it up. So I guess my point is, can a bike really be so dead that it can't be resurected. The frame is sound, sure the components are a little shot, but that's why I want to make it into a singlespeed, to get rid of those components. I very well could have ridden the bike to the shop the day I dropped it off. I would really like to give the singlespeed a try and I think it would be a hoot just converting my old bike into something new and enjoyable.

Thanks for you're help!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    unless the frame is broken or severely damaged... a little TLC (and maybe some money) can go a long way into getting that bike running again

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the LBS was just too busy and didn't want to worry about it at the time.

Bite Me.
    dumpster diving is the raison d'etre of the SS ethos - never throw away a frame.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Don't over-rate your LBS! If you're not confident in swinging the spanners find another LBS who will help you!

Members who have read this thread: 0