mtbr member
    Nov 2011

new guy - Looking for recommendations on Steel SS

Hey I'm new on the forum but have been lurking for a long time. I'm looking for a steel single speed mtb. My past bikes include KLEIN Adroit, Cannondale M2000, slingshot and some others. I currently have a Canfield Yelli Screamy. I'm looking for a SS steel bike because I have a baby on the way and I'd like something I could fit a kids seat to while he's little and then take it off and have a great single speed steel mtb when I'm finished. Who has something that would work for me? Any suggestions?

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I edited the Title of your thread to get you more traction and placed it in the Single Speed section where you will get the most help.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

new guy - Looking for recommendations on Steel SS

How about a Canfield Nimble 9?

If you can't fit racks on the N9 a Surly Pugsley would fit the bill nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not sure about racks but the N9 is pretty awesome but on the heavy side.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

openwound
    It's not boutique fancy or anything but I love mine...

OS Blackbuck.
    -- let's ride

Loving Life
    Also not sure about racks but i've been riding the Raleigh XXIX and love it. It is also belt drive compatible

mtbr member
    Look into a Soma B-Side. I think it has rack mounts and it's definitely a steel singlespeed. Looks nice, too.

mtbr member
    Kona Unit or Honzo, Salsa El Mariachi.

mtbr member
    I had an easy time pulling the Chariot trailer with my Surly Ogre. The big flat dropout made attaching the trailer easy and secure. It works just as well now pulling the Weehoo. It's a very capable bike.

The Canfield Nimble 9 looks like a fun option as well.

What is it about your Yelli Screamy that won't work with kid seat?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    I had an easy time pulling the Chariot trailer with my Surly Ogre. The big flat dropout made attaching the trailer easy and secure. It works just as well now pulling the Weehoo. It's a very capable bike.

The Canfield Nimble 9 looks like a fun option as well.

What is it about your Yelli Screamy that won't work with kid seat?
    I would agree. Invest in a trailer then your options aren't limited.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    +1 on the trailer option.
    More protection for the kid, more comfort when they sleep. It's also pretty easy to switch among bikes. The downside is you're not as nimble.
    I've got a Vassago Jabberwocky towing my 4-year old on a Wee-hoo trailer (recumbent trail a bike), before this is was a Burly trailer. It's a stable and solid bike, good for this purpose.

mtbr member
    Trailer for the kiddo is a must, I pull a burley behind my MUSS for my eddie. He loves it, laughs the whole time and has room to play with toys. It's also a bonus to be able to haul extra kid stuff in it too, like extra clothes, diapers, snacks, drinks, etc. It also provides some protection from the elements which is always a good thing.

No one has mentioned the On-One SSs yet, take a look at those. I will also back any of the Surly options like the Troll, Ogre (as mentioned), Karate Monkey, 1*1, etc. Any of those would work well and not break the bank. The first 3 have horizontal drops with a hanger for a derailleur should you want options.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'll second a Soma, but recommend the Juice, since I'm a fan of the big wheels. Fully outfitted for racks, or whatever else you want to put on as far as the frame goes. And everyone I know who has a Soma (Juice, B-side, or Analogue) love the ride. It's also a good deal cheaper than many other steel frames it seems like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Kona Unit uses Reynolds cromoly steel. Solid material and construction. Replace the knobby mountain tires with some city/urban tires and you'll have one smooth ride. It is worth checking out.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Soma Analog, Kona Unit, On-One, are all solid choices for a steel SS. If you want to go used, look for a Soma 4one5 or Zion 853 EBB.

Ditto the comments about a trailer for a baby. Lots of great info on the family riding forum.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No Karate Monkey love?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Id check out a jabberwocky, I recently bought one and i've been extremely impressed. first ride was on some of the tightest/twistiest trails in my area and it rips through tight corners extremely well for the longer CS length. i've been riding it on some faster flowy trails recently and been even more impressed, for a rigid SS the stability through high speed rough-ish corners is awesome, just rails them and doesnt get knocked around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Chumba Stella

-full rack mounts, premium steel & Paragon dropouts.

STELLA ? CHUMBA USA
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't use a rear mounted kid seat on an N9. You'll be riding a constant wheelie with those short chainstays!!! You know how nimble it is since you have a yelli. I have a hard time holding the front end down on my Marin xc "family bike" when I've got a kid in the Thule RideAlong and its like a bus compared to my yelli.

I've had a Unit and now an N9. The longer wheel base of the unit would make a much more comfortable and solid bike for using a kid seat.

All that being said, I stand with the other guys on the versatility of the pull behind trailer. I have a Burley as well. I use all of them depending on the situation. But a trailer is REALLY handy. Even for using to load with groceries or a dog, etc. I used it for fishing poles and tackle over the weekend....

mtbr member
    Having three kids, I have some experience here. The best child seats I found mounted up front, so they will work on most frames. Likewise, a trailer can fit most dropouts. So, no need for rack eyelets, unless you just need an excuse for another bike! Then I would recommend a Soma Juice.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    +1 ^^ up front is the way to go, I use the wee ride. modified the rest with drink & snack holder. Then I have the other kid in the trailer.

Funny, this is where everyone spouts off whatever bike they ride.

Get yourself a Karate Monkey or an Ogre. I don't have one, but for your uses, it would be one of the top choices. Both can be geared, because pulling a trailer up the hill on a SS sucks both for you and the kids. Both are stout, with plenty of rack and bolt on options. Both can be set up SS easily.

Of course, you can also buy yourself a Pugsley, which then broadens your terrain options with the ability to go FAT. Best of both worlds.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Funny, this is where everyone spouts off whatever bike they ride.

Get yourself a Karate Monkey or an Ogre. I don't have one, but for your uses, it would be one of the top choices. Both can be geared, because pulling a trailer up the hill on a SS sucks both for you and the kids. Both are stout, with plenty of rack and bolt on options. Both can be set up SS easily.

Of course, you can also buy yourself a Pugsley, which then broadens your terrain options with the ability to go FAT. Best of both worlds.
    It's true. I recommended a Soma frame, and I ride one. Because I could actually get one, unlike the KM in my size, which apparently did not exist when I bought my frame. Based on what I read, my frame rides better (quality of ride) than a KM would have anyhow. And everything else you said about a KM applies to the Soma. Easily geared, or not. Sliding dropouts. Full rack and fender bosses. Don't assume that because everyone is recommending what they ride that it isn't a good recommendation. If the OP looks into the frames rather than blinding ordering something recommended at random, he'll be able to figure out who was just spouting off what they ride vs who actually recommended something that is suitable for the situation he described.

Members who have read this thread: 0