New Drivetrain Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Drivetrain Build

So I have been slowly upgrading my SS 29er over the past few years. I started with a 2008 Gary Fisher Rig. Couldn't stand the EBB creaks, pops, loosening and maintenance so I replaced the frame and fork with a Karate Monkey frameset. I then upgraded the brakes to Hope Tech X2, got a Syncros FR headset and a new 3T cockpit. A few other things here and there and this is how it looks. The drivetrain is next in line to be upgraded. Being a freestyle BMX rider, I have always had a thing for Profile Racing. My new setup will consist of a Profile external cup bb, a Profile crankset and a Profile spline-drive chainwheel. The wheels will be Profile hubs with Velocity P-35 rims. I want this thing to be bulletproof and nearly maintenance free. I will post pics of the progress as it goes.

Got the hubs yesterday! Spokes and rims next!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Drivetrain Build-100_1167.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1168.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1169.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1292.jpg  

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Nice ...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Ordered rims last week. I got the last 29" Velocity P35 rims on QBP! They are coming from Utah and should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I will post pics when they come in. I don't know what to do for spokes on this one. Maybe a plain silver? Silver hubs and spokes with a black rim? Or I could try to get some colored ones….. Decisions, decisions!

mtbr member
    Rims are here, kinda bummed that they are the Australian-made stock instead of the new American-made rims. Still look super good and wide. I plan on building them tomorrow with silver DT Champion spokes.

mtbr member
    Don't worry if they are Australian or American. They look good either way (actuly this is the third set of velocity rims I got and I have neverbeen dissapointed in their products).

mtbr member
    New wheels built today! Polished Profile Classic Mountain SS Disc hubs, DT Swiss Champion spokes and Velocity P-35 rims. They were fun and easy to build up. The front and rear wheels used the same length spokes so that made things easy. I used stainless spokes with 2 black spokes, one on either side of the valve. Kinda a custom touch. New gear ratio is 32/17 for some more mountain riding. Rear hub is also super loud and engages just like my Profile BMX hubs.

The rear bolt-on axle is reassuring and I don't think its going to slip like my Q/R and chain tensioner! Hahaha

I love these wheels and can't wait to ride them on some trails! Next up is a Profile BB, Cranks and spline-drive Chainwheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Drivetrain Build-100_1297.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1298.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1299.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1301.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1303.jpg  

mtbr member
    Finally got the complete drivetrain! Profile NoBoss 170mm cranks with the Cromo GDH spindle and 6mm hardware, Profile 73mm Outboard BB and Profile 33t Spline Drive chainwheel!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Drivetrain Build-100_1353.jpg  

New Drivetrain Build-100_1354.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice ride!!! How do you like the tech x2's? I just pulled the trigger on a pair for my XXIX! I am super stoked!
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Nice ride!!! How do you like the tech x2's? I just pulled the trigger on a pair for my XXIX! I am super stoked!
    Love the brakes, they are easy to set up and bleed and I haven't had to do anything to them since. The lever feels great on my fingers and they look awesome! 5 out of 5 chilis for these brakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0