New dedicated Single Speed- Mtbr.com
    enjoying the kool-aid

New dedicated Single Speed

Well, I finally did it. I purchased a dedicated steel single speed and sold my converted GF Tassajara.

I picked up a Soma 4one5 from a local riding buddy. I've had it a few months now and I'm completely loving it!! Everything feels great on this bike. The geometery and the gearing... it's all great!

In it's current state the components are:

Soma large 4one5 32x17 gearing
    FSA orbit XLII headset
    SID 2005 Race fork (80mm)
    Avid mechanical brakes (160mm, soon to be 185front)
    ritchey bar, setpost,
    Truvative stem (90mm I think)
    Rocket V saddle
    White Industries One cranks
    Shimano 17t freewheel (hopefully going to WI 16t soon)
    Egg beater pedals
    Shimano BB
    Surly tugnut
    WTB speed disc wheels with White Industries rear hub
    WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 tires

Here are some pictures (sorry for the quality. I took them at night with flash)

Last edited by Chewieez; 06-16-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Having a nice day!
    Nice! Matches your Pantera to boot! I'm in the process of a dedicated SS as well. Should be together in early July.

Peace & Love
    you Ventana freaks and your singlespeeds.....

Having a nice day!
    Now if only I'd see the 29er light...

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    Now if only I'd see the 29er light...
    not really a "light"......more of just a different hue, not better, not worse.

Out spokin'
    Hey CheeseWhiz... you know these guys?

Nice bike by the way.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez
    Well, I finally did it. I purchased a dedicated steel single speed and sold my converted GF Tassajara.

I picked up a Soma 4one5 from a local riding buddy. I've had it a few months now and I'm completely loving it!! Everything feels great on this bike. The geometery and the gearing... it's all great!
    Nice pickup.

I have a Soma Rush, and have been very pleased with it. And recently I was in the market for a new SS. I could not find a 4one5 anywhere.

You have the frame I was looking for, the Black 631. Now they are silver and made of Tange Prestige. The Tange is good, I just prefer Reynolds.

Also the (06) silver bikes have different geometry.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Peace & Love
    very sweet build....that is gonna be a killer ride.

Hoopy Frood
    Nice bike! I always liked the Soma hardtails but the geometries don't work for me.

One question - you're planning on a running 185mm rotor on a SID? Seems like major flexation in your future.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Having a nice day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

Nice bike by the way.

--Sparty
    Only through the Ventana board.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Wow! Looks great. I've been lusting over the Soma's and it's great to see one. I think it's time to retire the converted Stumpjumper to a real single speed. Thanks for the inspiration !

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    not really a "light"......more of just a different hue, not better, not worse.
    Kofi Annan has nothing on you Fo, a diplomat of the highest order.
    "Do not touch the trim"

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Nice pickup.

I have a Soma Rush, and have been very pleased with it. And recently I was in the market for a new SS. I could not find a 4one5 anywhere.

You have the frame I was looking for, the Black 631. Now they are silver and made of Tange Prestige. The Tange is good, I just prefer Reynolds.

Also the (06) silver bikes have different geometry.
    Yea my initial plan was to try to get a new one through Soma but they had a wait on the new tange frames and I wasn't sure if I wanted 631 or Tange. This deal came up on the spur of the moment and I had to snatch it up!!

I do need to find some good touch up paint for it to match the matt black.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

Nice bike by the way.

--Sparty

only through the Ventana section but they have been a big help to me in the past!

I've yet to really try a 29er. Ignorance is bliss as they say! I am loving my two current bikes too much to want to try anything else.

Every ride on the Soma I'm thinking "Man I love this bike, it feels great, this is awesome!"

Then I go and ride the Pantera and is deja vu "Man I love this bike, it feels great, this is awesome!"

I guess I'll be switching off a lot now..... if only I could bring them both to the trail and not worry about leaving one on my truck.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    very sweet build....that is gonna be a killer ride.
    Yea at first I was only going to buy the frame/cranks/rear wheel but then my buddy made a deal on the entire bike that I couldn't refuse!

I have a few duplicate parts now that I need to decide on.

Future changes are:

- gonna try some Kena Nevegals instead of mutanoraptors ( I like the 2.4 but the slip on the steep sections and don't corner all that well
    - The bike came with a SID but I have a REBA sitting at home I may try on it. I just bought another race so I can switch easier. I am curious if I will like the stiffer REBA with poploc. The issue I forsee is the REBA has a slightly shorter steerer tube and I really like the geometry with the SID.
    - The bike came with 18t and 17t shimano freewheels and a 16t White Industries freewheel. I was running an 18 on my Tassajara but I went to 17t and it's been great so far. I am curious to try the 16 and see if I can push the gear and also see how much better the WI freewheel is.
    - I just signed onto a Pedros team so I may be switching out some parts to Thomson and a new front Mavic wheel.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by khill
    Nice bike! I always liked the Soma hardtails but the geometries don't work for me.

One question - you're planning on a running 185mm rotor on a SID? Seems like major flexation in your future.
    yea I am going to have to research this and see how it works.

I just can't do the 160 as it stands now. Maybe it isn't all the 160s fault and some blame goes on the SID but the front brake really has little power. Especially compared to my 185 mech setup on my Pantera with a Vanilla.

I own a REBA also so I am going to put that on the bike soon and see if I like that better. Only big problem I forsee if my stem will have to be lower with that setup since the steerer tube is shorter on my REBA than on the SID.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler
    Wow! Looks great. I've been lusting over the Soma's and it's great to see one. I think it's time to retire the converted Stumpjumper to a real single speed. Thanks for the inspiration !

All I can say is DO IT!!

You will not believe the difference between my converted Tass alum hardtail and this Soma steel hardtail! It's really night and day!

enjoying the kool-aid
    Nice! Matches your Pantera to boot! I'm in the process of a dedicated SS as well. Should be together in early July.
    Alright LoneStar..... I hate to say it but it's early July!!

(got any pics?????) or should I say "Is it here yet?"

haha

(I'll have to post a more recent Soma pic with the Reba on it, it's mean looking. I still cant' decide between the SID and Reba. )

Having a nice day!
    Alright LoneStar..... I hate to say it but it's early July!!

(got any pics?????) or should I say "Is it here yet?"

haha

(I'll have to post a more recent Soma pic with the Reba on it, it's mean looking. I still cant' decide between the SID and Reba. )
    Yes, it is mostly finished, but I have ordered some new wheels for the Salty and I'm going to throw the lighter Magura Pros on the SS. Plus I have a new Reba coming at the same time, so I was trying to hold off posting pics until it is complete. But in the interest of full disclosure, here it is after the initial completion. Haven't really ridden it yet as I am waiting for the appropriate chainring bolts to arrive on Tuesday.

And yes, Steve, I will be changing out the picture in the headtube!
    Attached Images Attached Images

enjoying the kool-aid
    Sweet !!!

What are the quick specs? Frame brand? Looks like you have a EBB on it?

I didn't mean to screw you initial disclosure... looks like a nice bike!!

Having a nice day!
    Sweet !!!

What are the quick specs? Frame brand? Looks like you have a EBB on it?

I didn't mean to screw you initial disclosure... looks like a nice bike!!
    Thanks. I don't care, but I'll still start a new thread when it is officially complete! Here is how the build will be...

17" ByStickel frame (courtesy of Jace)
    Fork: 2007 RockShox Reba Race w/PL
    Headset: CaneCreek S8
    Stem: Thomson 100x5 (may need to go longer but I had it laying around)
    Bars: Easton EC 90
    Levers: Avid Speed Dial
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Seat: WTB Laser V Ti
    Brakes: Avid BB7
    Wheels: Mavic 717
    Tires: Hutchinson Spiders 2.3
    Hubs: Magura Pro (DT 240s rebadged)
    Cranks: Shimano LX Hollowtech II (32t)
    Rear cog: Endless 18t
    EBB: Phil Wood w/set screws
    Pedals: Shimano 540

I think that is everything.

just 1 more

You will not believe the difference between my converted Tass alum hardtail and this Soma steel hardtail! It's really night and day!
    Can you explain the night and day difference? Is SS specific geometry that different than the Stumpjumper? I just switched my Pisgah to SS and had a steel Stumpy SS convert before and am wondering what I'm missing.

Got Mojo?
    17" ByStickel frame (courtesy of Jace)
    Steve Stickel does some very fine work, he is a true artist.

My complements.
    Last edited by BikeMojo; 07-19-2006 at 03:55 PM.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Can you explain the night and day difference? Is SS specific geometry that different than the Stumpjumper? I just switched my Pisgah to SS and had a steel Stumpy SS convert before and am wondering what I'm missing.
    Sorry I just now saw your post. I've been a bit out of touch with MTBR lately.

I noticed a big difference between the ride on my alum hardtail versus the Soma Steel. I'm sure it can be attributed to a variety of things.... but I'm also sure frame material and tube choices are one of them.

Most of it is just a comfort thing. The Soma just seems to fit be better and also ride smoother. The frame is a size bigger though (Tass=17.5" Soma=19") I think the top tubes are basically the same size though since Fishers have long top tubes. I have a more upright position though on the Soma... definatley less "racey" and bent over, yet very comfortable.

I find the bike feels much more comfortable while standing and pedaling than the Tass did. This could be that I have more room for my legs, I'm not totally sure of the reasoning. Overall the bike is very balanced, the small chatter bumps aren't as jarring on the Soma... I feel I can actually stay seated more while riding over small bumps and roots than I was able to before... which over time means a less fatigued lower back.

I know none is this is scientific or even sounds close... but I know that I like the ride much better than my Tass..... that being said, the guy who bought my Tass from me was looking for a Fisher medium with the longer top tube. He built up my frame back as a geared bike and is absolutely loving it. The Tass is definately still a great bike.... I just like the Soma better.

Members who have read this thread: 1