New Custom story and pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New Custom story and pics

My new custom is kind of here! My builder was doing final welding work when and the Bottom bracket got too hot and seized, but he is going to build me another. Until its done he tapped as best as possible this one and sent it to me to ride. Very Cool. I said just toss a little clear on it so it won't rust but when I got it it was fully painted. Awesome! Columbus Zona main tubes with horizontal dropouts, a sliding deraileur mount and full stops just in case, and a Atomlabs sliding disk mount on the way. Full Custom, got to pick every tube and angle as well as paint and my own decals, and went through six CAD drawings to get it perfect. Great price too! Waltworks had me a black segmented disk only fork on the way, the sus fork and XTR V's are only temporary. Thursday Bicycles and Waltworks both seriously rock!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    "Bottom bracket got too hot and seized, but he is going to build me another"

Say WHAT?
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    yeah that sounded a little wrong to me too. I just thought I'd wait for another Australian to say so. Trust a builder who can't build? Maybe if it's free - like a drunken haircut.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what???

was he welding the frame with the bottom bracket in the shell? I dont understand how a bb could seize and then tap it out to make it rideable...of course im not a frame builder so what do i know?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Here

I'm not a frame builder either, this is from my email:

> I usually put an old BB cup set into euro BB shells when I
    > braze or
    > weld. IT keeps them from distorting quite so much - always
    > an issue with
    > fillet brazing or OA welding. On your bike the threads
    > seized and tore
    > when I was pulling the cup out post-weld. If i can put in some brass
    > and tap it
    > out to take a BB, I'll send it on and you can ride it until
    > the new
    > frame is done.

I can say that everything else is much better than a mass produced bike. There are always stories on here of lying builders, outragious delivery times, and other problems. My frame was exactly on time, my builder is honest, and he went above and beyond on a temp frame until a not just great but perfect frame can be built. Thats the point.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by midtnSS
    I can say that everything else is much better than a mass produced bike. There are always stories on here of lying builders, outragious delivery times, and other problems. My frame was exactly on time, my builder is honest, and he went above and beyond on a temp frame until a not just great but perfect frame can be built. Thats the point.

i don't know anything about framebuilding methods, but i think the builders response to the problem was very generous. heck, he could've lied and said it was at paint!

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    I guess that (honesty) is one thing. I hope you get a discount and/or free failure replacement for a bodged BB thread though.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod
    I guess that (honesty) is one thing. I hope you get a discount and/or free failure replacement for a bodged BB thread though.

- Joel

he's getting a whole new frame. this one was repaired enough to ride temporarily until the new one is built. that goes above honesty, and into the realm of 'kick ass'.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    he's getting a whole new frame. this one was repaired enough to ride temporarily until the new one is built. that goes above honesty, and into the realm of 'kick ass'.

After breaking frames repeatedly and being replaced, he built another customer an "unbreakable" frame on warranty. The geometry is near a trials bike with "trials" in my contract, as long as I'm not dropping off multi story buildings I'm covered. The kicker is the effort put into the paint for a frame that will only be used a couple of months, the pics don't do it justice

Members who have read this thread: 0