New changes SPOTted....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New changes SPOTted....

Looks like Spot is changing the dropouts on their belt drive. Should be interesting. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New changes SPOTted....-sdim1607-com.jpg  

New changes SPOTted....-sdim1608-com.jpg  

New changes SPOTted....-sdim1611-com.jpg  

New changes SPOTted....-sdim1612com.jpg  

aka baycat
    So from the looks of it there is no break in the frame. The screws for the sliders are undone and the hanger comes off? Or am I off? Wouldn't be the first time.

edit: needs a break duh
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 10-27-2009 at 09:16 PM.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    So from the looks of it there is no break in the frame. The screws for the sliders are undone and the hanger comes off? Or am I off? Wouldn't be the first time.

there has to be a break...can't put on a new belt otherwise.

looks like they changed from track ends to sliders, should make the belt easier to tension, but seeing as i don't have one that is a guess
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Ooh, I like it. I could care less about the belt drive, what I like is that these sliding dropouts don't hang way out the back of the rear triangle like a rat tail. Not only is the seat stay welded on further back, but the dropout itself is right below the bolts instead of 3" behind. Compared to how silly Paragon's can look, I think this is much nicer

I wonder how they compare in durability and function to the tried and true Paragon dropouts

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The drive side slider is two pieces sandwiched together by the bolts. You can see the break in the slider just above the tensioning bolt in the second picture.

mtbr member
    so much nicer than last years track ends, when I was having my belt drive built I chose to go a different route (IMHO much nicer/cleaner) that the SPot split track ends, Frank at Gates eve told me that they were working on a new design this time last year. I do like it, I just realized the post mount for the rear disc

I wish Todd at BlackCat made his dropouts with post mount
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    S+S couplings are the neatest way to go for the belt drives. I do like the Spot dropouts though, look very clean.

Now, how to acquire one without the minister for finance realising...

C

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I like it!! Looks a lot cleaner than the previous rendition.

Now, just how do I go about convincing the Wifey that I just absolutely have to have this bike!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    One point to the "silly looking paragon dropouts".....They are fabricated in this way to allow a standard 160mm brake disc to still be used when the chainstay length is set at the minimum distance.

The Spot frame above rules out the use of this 160mm disc as the brake caliper would then sit on the seatstays.

You cant have everything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by estutjaweh
    One point to the "silly looking paragon dropouts".....They are fabricated in this way to allow a standard 160mm brake disc to still be used when the chainstay length is set at the minimum distance.

The Spot frame above rules out the use of this 160mm disc as the brake caliper would then sit on the seatstays.

You cant have everything!
    uhh, i believe that is a 160mm rear rotor in the picture, and it also appears to have room to still fit if the wheel was moved all the way forward

I'm not just going off of proportions... The front caliper is mounted directly to the F29's post mounts so it is definitely a 160mm rotor, and it appears to have the same size rotors front and rear

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Looks like the drive side frame part of the slider is split in two halves and the slider and bolts clamp them together....difficult to make out in that pic.

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

still riding
    QR? I hope they have a TA version.

Members who have read this thread: 0