New Bystickel SS just built up- Mtbr.com
    Lazy People Suck

New Bystickel SS just built up

It arrived yesterday and I stayed up until midnight last night building it up. I am going out tonight for its maiden voyage. I weighed it at the bike shop at lunch. It is 21.5 lbs. The pictures do not do it justice. It is gorgeous. Steve used a slice of a disc brake rotor for the brake brace that lines up nicely with the actual rotor and has his trademark picture frame headbadge that I have not found anything to fill it yet.

Specs are as follows:

Frame: ByStickel steel with Phil Wood pinch bolt EBB disc only
    Fork: 2003 Fatty Ultra DL headshock 80mm
    Wheeset: Crossmax Disc SL with 19 tooth steel Kind Kog and bolt on steel skewers
    Tires: Schwalbe Jimmy Lights with Stan's tubeless
    Brakes: Hayes Mag Hydraulics
    Crankset/BB: XT 760 pipe spindle with Spot chainguard and Salsa 34T ring
    Pedals: Eggbeaters
    Handlebars: Easton Monkey Lite Carbon Riser
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    Stem: Cannondale headshock 80mm x 5 deg (anyone have another one this size?)

I am pumped for the ride tonight even though it will be 90 degrees out with 100% humidity. I have no regrets about selling my Merlin Extra Fat to finance it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    It arrived yesterday and I stayed up until midnight last night building it up. I am going out tonight for its maiden voyage. I weighed it at the bike shop at lunch. It is 21.5 lbs. The pictures do not do it justice. It is gorgeous. Steve used a slice of a disc brake rotor for the brake brace that lines up nicely with the actual rotor and has his trademark picture frame headbadge that I have not found anything to fill it yet.

Stem: Cannondale headshock 80mm x 5 deg (anyone have another one this size?)

I am pumped for the ride tonight even though it will be 90 degrees out with 100% humidity. I have no regrets about selling my Merlin Extra Fat to finance it.

so nice! i have a profile design 90mm x 5 deg (i think) stem that is too short for me. again, that thing is so nice! if you have a close-up of the disc brake brace that you mentioned, i would look at it.
    no S&S couplers????? ahhhh!!!!!
    i like the color, too!
    put a picture of jenna jameson in the headbadge.
    you win! that is better than the extra fat. but i still like my fat beat!
    Only boring people get bored.

www.justthebonnet.com
    Very nice. You think about running a lefty in there? How much did the frame set you back?
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    so nice! i have a profile design 90mm x 5 deg (i think) stem that is too short for me.
    It'll have to be a 1.5" for it to work on a HeadShok

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    Very nice. You think about running a lefty in there? How much did the frame set you back?
    The Lefty is very nice, but I already have a couple of high end, non Lefty wheelsets. I really haven't felt the need for more than the 80mm of travel and the Headshock is lighter also.

I am still waiting for the bill from Steve, but he is reasonable in his prices, especially considering the level of perfectionism that goes into his work.

Cyclist

Artwork

Very nice. Steve is the real deal folks. I've been riding my Stickel for 3-4 months now and don't have anything bad to say, it just gets better and better...

Show some pics of that brace!

I put my daughter in my headbadge.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    it is. but i appreciate your concern for others.
    Only boring people get bored.

I am the owl
    Nice. How about a close up of the brake brace?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

giddy up!

Actually....

...to get real technical:-).....one point five and cannondale spec headtubes are not the same....one point five is reamed to a much deeper depth than cannondale.

That being said, you could run a headshok, lefty, or a one point five fork in that frame(with the right headset).

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!

Nevermind...

....you kids were talking about the stem, not the frame:-)

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    ...to get real technical:-).....one point five and cannondale spec headtubes are not the same....one point five is reamed to a much deeper depth than cannondale.

That being said, you could run a headshok, lefty, or a one point five fork in that frame(with the right headset).
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Nice. How about a close up of the brake brace?
    I will try to get a photo tonight. Unfortunately my camera is at home and I am at work and the bike is locked in my car at the moment

mtbr member

It looks like this...

I broke into Jeff's work, took his camera, then picked the lock on the ML, just to get you this shot. If that's not dedication...

from the east

hey...

I saw your bike in Steve's shop a week ago when I was down there. Good damn choice. His bikes are beautiful (yours no exception), and he was super nice to talk to. Unfortunately, I have no real need or means for a custom frame right now, but when I do, he's first on the list.

eric.

Pain-meister!
    Feb 2004
    Oh that's right...rub it in! While I'm still in the planning/design phase YOU have to post YOUR bike here! You don't play fair!

We are working out the specs for my 29er EBB SS...I do like the headshock, and REALLY wish that there was something like this for the 29er (yeah, I've seen pictures of the ActionTec, but I'm hearing that the quality of the suspension isn't very good). And yes, Steve clearly takes this very seriously. Having done the custom bike before, he is very open to discussion, but also assertive in expressing his opinion...EXACTLY what I want from a custom builder.

Maybe next year I can WIN the B'nG!!!

Lazy People Suck

First Ride Report on the new ByStickel

Last night, I did the first ride on the ByStickel. I rode the Mascatatuck trail in North Vernon IN last night. It is very twisty, somewhat technical singletrack full of steep but short hills. The bike was absolutely telepathic in the twisties. I was instantly comfortable on it. There really is nothing like a headshock in these conditions. I was expecting a springy feeling at the bottom bracket with a steel bike, but it was rock solid. The rear end felt as comfortable as my Merlin Extra Fat softail, which is the bike I sold to buy the ByStickel.

There was 1 Pro rider there (also on a ByStickel geared bike) and 3 Expert riders on the ride, so it was a hammer fest. The bike felt very good at high speed. I am a Sport guy just making the jump to Expert, so I was riding out of my league. The fact that I was able to hang with these guys tells you the instant comfort level I had with the bike.

I also had the worst crash I have had in a while. On the 3rd lap of 3, my legs started to fade, so I was really pressing in the singletrack to make up time and clipped a tree with my handlebar at high speed. It sent me cartwheeling. The bike did not even get a scratch, although I cannot say the same.

All in all, I cannot recommend Steve enough as a builder. He really puts alot of thought into everything he does and executes those thoughts very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lovely looking bike, but one question. On a custom build why did you go with such a short stem and straight up post with the seat pushed forward?

MTBDOC, There are a couple of guys running around on reduced travel leftys on 29ers - one I recall from the 29er board I think is on a green Bystickel with S&S couplers... One of those with the TPC damping and you've got even better suspension performance than a headshok - not quite so stiff, but still a hell of a lot stiffer than most telescoping forks.

Sam

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    Lovely looking bike, but one question. On a custom build why did you go with such a short stem and straight up post with the seat pushed forward?

MTBDOC, There are a couple of guys running around on reduced travel leftys on 29ers - one I recall from the 29er board I think is on a green Bystickel with S&S couplers... One of those with the TPC damping and you've got even better suspension performance than a headshok - not quite so stiff, but still a hell of a lot stiffer than most telescoping forks.

Sam
    As far as the stem, I really do like the feel of a bike with a longer top tube with a shorter, stem. The picture angle does not show it well, but the seat post clamp is right in the middle of saddle rails. I think the saddle looks pushed forward because the white WTB logo on the saddle is not in line with the middle of the saddle rails.

I had Steve sort of mimic the geometry of my Cannondale Scalpel that I really love the feel of. The combination of the short stem and straight post with a long top tube puts me more in the middle of the bike while still maintaining quick steering. It seems to help with traction on the hills also with a single speed as I do not seem to unweight the rear wheel as much when I am out of the saddle. This seems to be a combination that works well for the type of riding that I do, which is largely twisty wooded singletrack with numerous short,steep hills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fair enough, whatever works for you - glad you're happy with your new bike!

Sam

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    I broke into Jeff's work, took his camera, then picked the lock on the ML, just to get you this shot. If that's not dedication...
    Cool. I like the attention to detail.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDOC
    We are working out the specs for my 29er EBB SS...I do like the headshock, and REALLY wish that there was something like this for the 29er (yeah, I've seen pictures of the ActionTec, but I'm hearing that the quality of the suspension isn't very good). And yes, Steve clearly takes this very seriously. Having done the custom bike before, he is very open to discussion, but also assertive in expressing his opinion...EXACTLY what I want from a custom builder.

This isn't a 29" bike, but something very much like it COULD be done in a 29" version, though your HT may be waaay tall as a result...

Bob is a local to me, and I've actually had him do work before. Like Brian, he's ultimately professional in his work. Very knowledgable and supremely talented. Just check out some of his work. https://www.bobbrowncycles.com/
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sweeet Ride!

Do they make SS Crossmax SL rear wheels? How do you convert a rear wheel that normal fits a cassette into a SS free wheel?

minister of chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo

Sam
    Yeah, that is mine. Fantastic bike, and the best suspension for a 29er IMHO. Currently, the Lefty with TPC damping isn't really an option. As the internals are completely different, there is no easy way to reduce the travel. On the base model, a couple clips on the damper shaft and the travel is reduced. No such luck on the TPC. I have talked to one of the suspension techs at C'dale, and he is trying to figure out how to reduce the travel for me. Hopefully once they get that figured out, they will do a stable platform lefty. That would kick as.

Frank
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

Witty McWitterson
    You don't. Its a normal wheel that's using a King cog, Shitano bmx cog or Boone cog with the splines machined in. The cog is then spaced correctly using spare cessette spacers.
    Just a regular guy.