New but old SS build here...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,922

    New but old SS build here...

    So the Sugar was just collecting dust and I had some spare parts so I thought 'What the heck. I'll give it a try.' It turned out pretty sweet. I took it on it's first ride last night and it was a blast. I only had 2 mishaps of the chain popping off and that was on the front. Since I don't have a SS specific ring up front, I kinda figured that might happen. It wasn't a big deal as it was near the end of the ride and as I was jumping over a rock garden. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied right now. And I can tell it's a Sugar b/c it attacked the hills like there was no tomorrow. Anyway, tell me what ya think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  2. #2
    JLC
    JLC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    17

    Sweet Ride!

    I recently built up my old '99 GF HKEK and used the rear der. as the tensioner just as you did. My chain is just a bit tighter, I think. I have not popped off the front yet using my original 32 ring. You might try removing 3 or 4 links.

    I love your bike. I have a Sugar as well, still set up as a geary.
    If you decide to go the "magic gear" route, let me know what ratio will fit our chainstay length.

    Great job on the conversion!
    Remember, If you're still in pain have another homebrew.

  3. #3
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    I recently built up my old '99 GF HKEK and used the rear der. as the tensioner just as you did. My chain is just a bit tighter, I think. I have not popped off the front yet using my original 32 ring. You might try removing 3 or 4 links.

    I love your bike. I have a Sugar as well, still set up as a geary.
    If you decide to go the "magic gear" route, let me know what ratio will fit our chainstay length.

    Great job on the conversion!

    Thanks! I forgot how much fun and how fast this bike is. It's a blast.

    I have to play ignorant on the "magic gear" thing though. What is that? I agree that a few links may need to be removed.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  4. #4
    JLC
    JLC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    17

    "Magic Gear"

    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Thanks! I forgot how much fun and how fast this bike is. It's a blast.

    I have to play ignorant on the "magic gear" thing though. What is that? I agree that a few links may need to be removed.
    The so-called “magic gear” is a specific choice of front ring and rear cog that will tension the chain perfectly, eliminating the need for a tensioning device. I have not tried this on my bike yet, maybe someday once I decide the right combo to use.

    If you want go to http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/formfmu.php and put in possible ring and cog sizes, the calculator will give you some combos that will be perfect for your bike. I believe our chainstay length is 41.2cm, this should be the same for most GF bikes, you may want to check or measure this length on your Paragon to make sure.

    Let me know if you find the perfect combo for your ride.

    Have Fun!
    Remember, If you're still in pain have another homebrew.

  5. #5
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    The so-called “magic gear” is a specific choice of front ring and rear cog that will tension the chain perfectly, eliminating the need for a tensioning device. I have not tried this on my bike yet, maybe someday once I decide the right combo to use.

    If you want go to http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/formfmu.php and put in possible ring and cog sizes, the calculator will give you some combos that will be perfect for your bike. I believe our chainstay length is 41.2cm, this should be the same for most GF bikes, you may want to check or measure this length on your Paragon to make sure.

    Let me know if you find the perfect combo for your ride.

    Have Fun!
    Ahh, IC. thanks for the link. The magic combo thing prob ably won't be tried for a while. Someday maybe but I'm just happy to have it up and running right now. If I do find it, I'll let ya know. Please do the same for me. BTW, I'm geared at 32 X 18 right now. Big ups go to Blowout. He gave me the 18T cog I'm using.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  6. #6
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Ahh, IC. thanks for the link. The magic combo thing prob ably won't be tried for a while. Someday maybe but I'm just happy to have it up and running right now. If I do find it, I'll let ya know. Please do the same for me. BTW, I'm geared at 32 X 18 right now. Big ups go to Blowout. He gave me the 18T cog I'm using.
    Can't run straight chain run on that bike, gotta use a spring loaded tensioner because as the suspension cycles trhrough the chainstay length flucuates which would cause havoc with the chain/drivetrain/frame. The only way you can run a straight chain setup on FS is if the chainstays pivot around the BB, the virtual chainstay length doesn't change with this setup.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,983
    Only been at this SS thing for a few months but i think the "magic gear" thing is mainly for rigid frames. Chain growth will be a problem on most FS frames except like a Rotec or URT. Even single pulley tensioners sometimes don't hold enough extra chain for FS frames.

  8. #8
    JLC
    JLC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    17

    You're Right.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Only been at this SS thing for a few months but i think the "magic gear" thing is mainly for rigid frames. Chain growth will be a problem on most FS frames except like a Rotec or URT. Even single pulley tensioners sometimes don't hold enough extra chain for FS frames.

    Good point, I wasn't thinking. Most if not all FS bikes would have to run a tensioner.
    But the "magic gear" idea should work for a Hardtail SS just as well as rigid.

    My rear derailleur works great, but it's not very fashionable.
    Remember, If you're still in pain have another homebrew.

  9. #9
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,071

    Chain laength

    you need to let all the air out of the shock and compress it as far as it goes. Then you can shorten the chain to the proper length. I had a similar setup on my fuel, but I got tired of the maintenance, and built up a fully rigid dedicated ss. Enjoy it!

  10. #10
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    I have always loved the look of a full suspension SS. They are just so unique. Great job man.

  11. #11
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    I have always loved the look of a full suspension SS. They are just so unique. Great job man.

    Thanks! It was sooo much fun to ride. I think I'm gonna look for a new fork for the Burner and pop the Marathon on this one. That will make for an even nicer ride.

    And I thought the magic gear thing wasn't possible on a FS SS and it was confirmed. And I'll have to try the trick of letting all of the air out of the shock for chain tension. Good thoughts.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.