New build, few teething problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New build, few teething problems

Hi,

Tonight I finished my SS conversion project- nothing fancy, a 2004 Kona Fire Mountain with P2's and a Singulator- and took it for a test ride. All is fine until I hit the steeper hills when the chain 'slips' slightly, accompanied by a harsh click from the rear hub area. This was happening almost every pedal stroke when the gradient got really steep.

The chainline is straight and I took my time setting up the Singulator, pressing down, so I'm thinking it might be the freehub. I'm new to working on bikes so the best I can describe the problem is that it feels like the chain has derailled from one cog to the next on a cassette, like it could occasionally when mashing up hills. It's a click, slip and quick 're-engage'. Obviously this is very annoying as the bike is going to be pushed hard whenever I have to climb a hill, so-

Any ideas?

Does it sound like the freehub? If so what should I look for in a new one? I'd rather not buy an SS hub right now if I can help it (I'm saving for an Inbred 29er...).

Thanks in advance, as always your help is appreciated :-)

mtbr member

Couple ideas

What are you using for your chainring and cogs? If they're ramped (made for shifting), you will most likely encounter what you're describing under load.

You may want to invest a few bucks in a new unramped chainring and cog.

Bike Pimp
    If your parts are used they could skip too... Or, if the chain is only coming into contact with a few teeth, it will skip. you may need to have the singulator pushing up on the chain instead of down to get the chain to grab more teeth.
    Wrenchscience.com
    ...Your local bike shop....

Down South Yooper

Chain Wrap

In addition to making sure your cog and ring aren't worn out, you might be looking at a lack of chain wrap. You can try shortening the chain to it's absolute minimum, and try to get your tensioner to push up towards the chainstay.

You're still using a wide freehub body, so you should be able to get the chainline perfect, so all things equal (good, non-worn parts all around) you shouldn't have too much of a problem...

Plum

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i had a similar problem with my k2 ss conversion. basically the chain was skipping on/off the singulator whenever it felt like it. (my singleator was pushing up btw).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hi,

No, the cog isn't ramped. I bought an SS conversion kit with 2 cogs (16 and 18t) and the spacers for that reason.

I've had a look online and it seems changing a freehub is expensive, and that Shimano (in their infinite wisdom) have changed the designs recently, so a new one might not fit anyway!

Hmmn, not sure what to do. Anyone have any opinion as to whether my slipping freehub diagnosis is correct? I don't know if freehubs even slip in this way, it just seemed like a plausible theory

Help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    this is how i fixed my problem, but i just got lucky. i took off the singleator and a few links of chain and everything worked out fine! with vertical drops too. looks like i'm running on ebb on my 03 k2, but the chain and chain stays and ring sizes 34 and 16, worked to my benefit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The chain isn't quite long enough to go with out a tensioner, actually it's for that reason that I have the Singulator pushing down- there is a bit too much slack (at the shortest possible chain length) to set it to push up.

I was thinking about trying a half link, but you said (unsuspended) that your chain still jumped even though the tensioner was pushing UP (correct?). If this is the case I'm thinking the problem might be elsewhere.

Those of you who've experienced similar problems, when your chain slipped, did it completely come off the drivetrain, so that you had to stop and manually refit it? This isn't happening with me, it feels like it 'slips' slightly.

I'm going to ride it to the LBS tomorrow, see what they say. Annoying though, this conversion wasn't as cheap as I had been led to believe so I was hoping it would just work . It's rides well though, no regrets. I'll post a pic tomorrow if anyone's interested.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I am willing to bet this is happening with your 16t. Try out the 18t and it may go away. I had this happening with my SS with a push down tensioner and 16t.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Update

After taking my LBS's advice I ditched the Singulator and put the rear derailleur back on. Problem solved. OK it doesn't look wonderful, but IMO SSs with any sort of tensioner don't look quite 'right'.

The important thing though is that it rides great! I really enjoy SS and can't see myself buying a geared bike for a while now, if ever. Once I've paid for a course I want to take this spring I'm going to treat myself to an Inbred 29er, but this will do in the meantime

Guy above- yes, you're right, I do get the problem with the 16T cog. I wouldn't want to lower the gearing with the 18T though. 2:1 seems perfect so far, and I may need to go even taller when I get more strength in my legs.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Btw, there'll be a lightly used (ie once) Singulator on eBay in the UK later tonight. Buy It Now price of £20, £3 p+p. Please have a look

Members who have read this thread: 0