new blue collar cranks- Mtbr.com
    jl
    climb

new blue collar cranks

I've been using a set of XTR 952 cranks for over 9 years. First on a geared bike, but for the past 5 years strictly as a singlespeed setup. A few weeks ago, during a ride, the right crank arm came loose. I tightened it back on during the ride, but in my haste I messed up the splines on the inside of the crankarm.

I was pretty upset with myself, until I pulled of the left crankarm and noticed it had a hairline fracture. I guess these cranks lived a good life, now it's time for a change. Whirly, Middleburn, old XTR, new XTR? Here's what transpired.

<center>

</center>

This choice may not may not resonate with everyone, but it's working well for me.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Out spokin'
    THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Nice.

The only things I would have done differently are: used a shorter spindle, mounted the ring to the outside of the spider, cut the granny receptors off and used 195mm arms, all personal choices that don't amount to a hill of beans.

Good on ya, I say.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

nothing to see here
    That's one huge freewheel.

Steep hills?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!! didn't you hear anything we have said before , buy a 4 bolt surly ring and you will most definitely taco it.....maybe. you have the ring on the inside of the crank so that's a good start . how much did those cranks set you back? I also hope that you are using a brand new chain on that brand new drive train.

Sparty, i think if he were to move the chain ring to the outside it would cause the chain line to be off, that could well be fixed if the spindle were to be shorter as you said above.

sweet build regardless
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    wow, those are sharp. good pick.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!! didn't you hear anything we have said before , buy a 4 bolt surly ring and you will most definitely taco it.....maybe. you have the ring on the inside of the crank so that's a good start . how much did those cranks set you back? I also hope that you are using a brand new chain on that brand new drive train.

Sparty, i think if he were to move the chain ring to the outside it would cause the chain line to be off, that could well be fixed if the spindle were to be shorter as you said above.

sweet build regardless
    He suggested using a shorter spindle (bb axle) which would then allow the chain ring to be mounted to the outside of the spider. Thus the chain line would not be impacted.

mtbr member
    Is it just my eyes (or monitor) but does that chainline look a bit out anyway ? Looks to me like the chainring would be better on the outside of the spider (see the photo with no chain fitted).

It's probably just me

mtbr member
    that's a nice setup

Low Rep Count
    Could just be the angle of the photo. I would agree that he might be able to move it out but we are only looking at a photo mind you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Could just be the angle of the photo. I would agree that he might be able to move it out but we are only looking at a photo mind you.
    Yes - appearances can be deceptive

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oh those cranks remind me of old specialized strong arm (by Sugino), which flexed like a pair of leaf springs, literally. Can you feel any flex on those?

mtbr member
    Like the cranks, like the frame!

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Nice set up I used Sugino XD cranks and Surly ring on my old Monstercross bike with zero issues. If the chain line is spot on (as in measures, not squinting down it!) there will be little chance of taco'ing the ring.

Please trim the rear QR skewer...I had Salsa's onmy MC Ute and I still have the scar where I didn't trim mine!

TopTip: thread a M5 nyloc nut on the skewer and thread down past where you will cut it, trim and then as you unscrew it you will clean up the thread Pop the proper end nut back on and ride!

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    He suggested using a shorter spindle (bb axle) which would then allow the chain ring to be mounted to the outside of the spider. Thus the chain line would not be impacted.
    thats what i had just implied

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    If the chain line is spot on (as in measures, not squinting down it!) there will be little chance of taco'ing the ring.
    other than the fact that almost all frames have some rear triangle and bottom bracket flex and so the chainline is never really spot on while riding

Retro Grouch
    Nucky, another firm grasp of the obvious; here's your sign
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Nucky, another firm grasp of the obvious; here's your sign
    well the most important part that i was trying to point out was that his ring will probably fail

jl
    climb
    Thanks for the comments. The chainline seems as spot-on as I can get with the parts I had. The surly hub and freewheel are said to be at 53.5mm, I measured the chainring at 55mm. Seems good to me. A little more information on the build. Cranks $55, BB $25, Ring $30. Freewheel, cheap ACS I had in the garage. Chain, cheap SRAM I had in the garage. Riding last night priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    That's one huge freewheel. Steep hills?
    Yep. And I'm planning at some good elevation. I'm not in tip-top shape, and the 22T was in much better condition (less wear) than the 20T I normally use.
    well the most important part that i was trying to point out was that his ring will probably fail
    I'll keep you updated on the durability test. I had a different surly ring (5-hole) that was bomb-proof. We'll see how this one holds up.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Oh those cranks remind me of old specialized strong arm (by Sugino), which flexed like a pair of leaf springs, literally. Can you feel any flex on those?
    Seem to be working great. But I've only done 2 rides (~6 hours) on them. I don't notice any flex.
    Quote Originally Posted by farrisw1
    Like the cranks, like the frame!
    thanks!

<center></center>

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    thats what i had just implied

no it's not.

jl
    climb
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!! didn't you hear anything we have said before , buy a 4 bolt surly ring and you will most definitely taco it.....maybe.
    03/10/11--4 bolt surly ring taco'd.
    I ran a 5 bolt surly ring for 4 years without a problem. 4 bolt--8 months, the teeth are showing some wear, but not close to being worn out.

Please point me to the proper replacement ring

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    03/10/11--4 bolt surly ring taco'd.
    I ran a 5 bolt surly ring for 4 years without a problem. 4 bolt--8 months, the teeth are showing some wear, but not close to being worn out.

Please point me to the proper replacement ring
    Homebrewed Components... ad at the top of this forum.

--sParty

P.S. Shame on the bicycle industry for ever introducing 4-bolt cranks when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the 5-bolt system, and in fact 5-bolt is superior.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

jl
    climb
    Hopefully this wasn't a big mistake.

mtbr member
    What model Sugino's are they? I wanted Sugino's for my Q-Ball but all I could find had 110bcd.

Witty McWitterson
    The Salsa ring? No way that'll be a mistake. I've done nothing but bend the Surly rings. The Salsa has been a very worthy replacement.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Should have no problems with the Salsa, I've put a beating on 2 or 3 of em and they just kept coming back for more!

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stevens
    What model Sugino's are they? I wanted Sugino's for my Q-Ball but all I could find had 110bcd.
    Search for Sugino DX crank.

Members who have read this thread: 0