New Bike For The Wife- Mtbr.com
    wannabee

New Bike For The Wife

Built this for the wife. She can't ride the mountains due to physical limitations so I built this SS cruiser for her. She seems to enjoy it. Best guess is an 88 Diamondback Ascent EX frame. Tange Cro-moly tubing. It's the only original part on the bike. It rides really nice. Tell me what you think. GBB
    Last edited by giantbikeboy; 01-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice looking cruiser bike - cool rims
    I need to do something like that for my daughter to take to college with her.
    no rear brake?

"Mr. Britannica"
    nice, but can you take up that chain slack? she might want a shorter stem

Fahrrad fahren
    Quote Originally Posted by giantbikeboy
    Built this for the wife. She can't ride the mountains due to physical limitations so I built this SS cruiser for her. She seems to enjoy it. Best guess is an 88 Diamondback Ascent EX frame. Tange Cro-moly tubing. It's the only original part on the bike. It rides really nice. Tell me what you think. GBB
    Looks great! What size frame is that? It has more slope to the top tube than I remember. I have an 18" '88 that was my first conversion to SS. Then commuter (pic). It's hanging on a hook in the basement now waiting on a custom rack, a repaint and rebuild into a townie/porteur.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

wannabee
    Hi Hjalti it is a 14 1/2" frame. the wife is only 5' 2"ish. I put an old Judy SL with checkered flag decals on it. It's a rattle can paint job. I rebuilt the original pedals and tried to keep with a white red black theme. It turns heads when we ride. Hope your refurb on yours goes well and thanks for your comments. Ride! GBB

Are you sure yours is an 88? Ours has a chain stay u-brake mount. Yours appears to have seat stay canti mounts. You think ours might be older? I asked the vintage/retro forum and 88 was the concensus(sp). GBB
    Last edited by giantbikeboy; 09-01-2006 at 12:18 PM.

wannabee
    Hey roadiegonebad, thanks for looking. She hasn't decided on a shorter stem yet, though I have suggested it. Because she only rides smooth paved trails I'm not worried about the slack chain. At least there is no tensioner on it! She might want to change the gearing a little bit so I am saving the extra chain length for now. GBB

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by giantbikeboy
    Hey roadiegonebad, thanks for looking. She hasn't decided on a shorter stem yet, though I have suggested it. Because she only rides smooth paved trails I'm not worried about the slack chain. At least there is no tensioner on it! She might want to change the gearing a little bit so I am saving the extra chain length for now. GBB

is the rear brake missing???

wannabee
    Ya the rear brake is in a parts box at the moment. It's not in real good shape. I might try to clean it up and install it. I have a lever that will operate two brakes I can put on it. The wife only has one good hand to brake with. She seems to be OK with just the brake. GBB

I wear two thongs
    Thats quite the grill ya got there! And that bike looks brand new! I'm sure the wife will have a blast on it.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Great looking cruiser, I bet it turns heads! Nice job fixing it up, what are the rims/wheels? They really set off the rest of the bike.

Cheers
    C

Members who have read this thread: 0